Coffee and weight gain...?

Hey friends! Your opinions on coffee/caffeine effecting fat loss??? I'm not talking about cream and sugar (that's obvious) but do you think coffee/caffeine effects metabolism negatively by messing with hormones, cortisol, etc????
Thanks in advance ❤

Replies

• collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Not at all. I drink black iced coffee every day, in significant quantities, and lose exactly as expected for the deficit from my TDEE.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,966 Member
    edited December 2018
    No coffee suppresses my appetite a bit. Either that or it just distracts me enough to where I forget about eating lol
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    kimny72 wrote: »
    I find coffee suppresses my appetite a bit, I lost weight as expected, and it protects the people I work with from experiencing me without caffeine.

^agreed.

• kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,979 Member
    I have not had any negative effects from drinking coffee either while losing or maintaining nor have I seen any studies to show such effects. Unlike others, it does not suppress my appetite but it does give some zing to my workouts.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    I'm a diabetic and I can tell when my cortisol levels are elevated because my glucose levels are higher than expected. I haven't noticed coffee having any effect at all, while a mild cold, or even an argument with my spouse, has a very noticeable effect.
  • KKSW1981
    KKSW1981 Posts: 87 Member
    Awesome. Thank you for all your comments.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    I find coffee suppresses my appetite a bit, I lost weight as expected, and it protects the people I work with from experiencing me without caffeine. a painful death.

FIFY.

Had a coworker come to me with something before I was 3 sips into my coffee...I shoo’d him away for 20min
  • reversemigration
    reversemigration Posts: 168 Member
  • collectingblues
    I find coffee suppresses my appetite a bit, I lost weight as expected, and it protects the people I work with from experiencing me without caffeine. a painful death.

FIFY.

You both are so very, very right.

• jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Nope. If anything, it helps with weight loss, both because of the caffeine (energy) and the room it occupies in the stomach (less hunger).
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,179 Member
    I've been consuming an entire 64 oz pot of black coffee each day since my retirement. I've lost weight. The pot of coffee logs as 8 calories.
  • LovelySavannah
    LovelySavannah Posts: 145 Member
    Nope. Everytime I drink black coffee, it helps me feel more energized for my workouts, keeps my stomach full, and helps with my weight loss.
  • vgentile990
    vgentile990 Posts: 50 Member
    Coffee helps me intermittent fast ... no hunger pain
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,626 Member
    id probably be thinner if i stopped drinking coffee, mainly because id be in prison for murdering people.

my creamer calories are written in stone and non negotiable.

coffee itself has few calories and no effect on anything.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,968 Member
    Y'know what's a key ingredient in many over-the-counter diet supplements? Caffeine.

(Do they work? Not much . . . or not better than coffee, anyway. Tiny energy boost, possible appetite supressant for some people.)
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    No. If anything, I would think plain black coffee would help since it is known as an appetite suppressant and the caffeine would provide more energy/more movement to burn (slightly) more calories.

unless you are like me and caffeine doesnt provide you energy or supresses appetite. I just drink it because I like it lol
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    I drink 1-4 cups of coffee (usually plain, sometimes with zero calorie sweetener or cashew milk) a day, have since I started MFP in 2015. It doesn't seem to interfere with my loss/maintaining at all. In fact, I think it works as an appetite suppressant in my case.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,242 Member
    Coffee helps me wake up in the morning ( although I have wondered how much of that is placebo effect)

And sometimes find it hard to sleep if I drink it in the evening.

Have not noticed any effect on weight loss - although, of course, I do log it.
    In my case, only twenty calories per cup for the Small amount of skim milk, I do not add anything else.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,324 Member
    For me coffee is like a meal...it surpasses my appetite.. I enjoy it. it gives me pleasure and I'm sure distracts me from eating. love it.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    As a type 1 diabetic, I notice black coffee results in a BG spike... this is likely from glycogenolysis, which would, in isolation, cause weight loss (mostly water weight).

The topic of BG spikes resulting from coffee comes up from time to time in diabetes forums. Interestingly enough, many diabetics commenting on this topic do not see similar BG spikes with caffeine from other sources. A few other ideas have been floated as to what, if not caffeine, causes a BG spike from black coffee consumption.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,522 Member
    No. Coffee hasn't negatively affected my weight loss.

It doesn't suppress my appetite ... if anything it makes me feel hungry because it can make me a little jittery which my body translates as hunger ... but I find if I drink a glass of water at the same time I drink my coffee, that helps.
  • Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    I gained a whole lot of weight in the first place by getting my caffeine fix through Coca Cola. Always hated coffee.

When I got serious and shed a bunch of weight I acquired a taste for black coffee (not all of it, but most of the type I drink now).

I drink about 5-7 cups per week, usually one per day, once in awhile 2, and sometimes none. Its appetite suppression effects are real. The caffeine effects are much stronger than Coke, and it generally leaves me alert for 4 hours plus.

I read more and more studies all the time about the real benefits of coffee with very little downside.
  • collectingblues
    As a type 1 diabetic, I notice black coffee results in a BG spike... this is likely from glycogenolysis, which would, in isolation, cause weight loss (mostly water weight).

The topic of BG spikes resulting from coffee comes up from time to time in diabetes forums. Interestingly enough, many diabetics commenting on this topic do not see similar BG spikes with caffeine from other sources. A few other ideas have been floated as to what, if not caffeine, causes a BG spike from black coffee consumption.

Yup. I have to bolus ~16 gm of carbs — so just about a unit — to avoid the coffee spike. I don’t get a similar spike with Diet Coke.

That unit is totally worth it.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member

Yup. I have to bolus ~16 gm of carbs — so just about a unit — to avoid the coffee spike. I don’t get a similar spike with Diet Coke.

That unit is totally worth it.

@collectingblues Are you type 1 or type 2? I'm type 2 but not on insulin and see no effects from coffee. Since type 1 which midwesterner has is not caused by insulin resistance, that suggests to me that maybe a cortisol spike is not what causes the coffee effect. Very interesting.