Coffee and weight gain...?

2»

Replies

• T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    As a type 1 diabetic, I notice black coffee results in a BG spike... this is likely from glycogenolysis, which would, in isolation, cause weight loss (mostly water weight).

The topic of BG spikes resulting from coffee comes up from time to time in diabetes forums. Interestingly enough, many diabetics commenting on this topic do not see similar BG spikes with caffeine from other sources. A few other ideas have been floated as to what, if not caffeine, causes a BG spike from black coffee consumption.

Yup. I have to bolus ~16 gm of carbs — so just about a unit — to avoid the coffee spike. I don’t get a similar spike with Diet Coke.

That unit is totally worth it.

@collectingblues Are you type 1 or type 2? I'm type 2 but not on insulin and see no effects from coffee. Since type 1 which midwesterner has is not caused by insulin resistance, that suggests to me that maybe a cortisol spike is not what causes the coffee effect. Very interesting.

Actually, cortisol could very likely explain the result I see as a type 1. Cortisol could be causing glycogenolysis.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    As a type 1 diabetic, I notice black coffee results in a BG spike... this is likely from glycogenolysis, which would, in isolation, cause weight loss (mostly water weight).

The topic of BG spikes resulting from coffee comes up from time to time in diabetes forums. Interestingly enough, many diabetics commenting on this topic do not see similar BG spikes with caffeine from other sources. A few other ideas have been floated as to what, if not caffeine, causes a BG spike from black coffee consumption.

Yup. I have to bolus ~16 gm of carbs — so just about a unit — to avoid the coffee spike. I don’t get a similar spike with Diet Coke.

@collectingblues Are you type 1 or type 2? I'm type 2 but not on insulin and see no effects from coffee. Since type 1 which midwesterner has is not caused by insulin resistance, that suggests to me that maybe a cortisol spike is not what causes the coffee effect. Very interesting.

Actually, cortisol could very likely explain the result I see as a type 1. Cortisol could be causing glycogenolysis.

Yes, but it wouldn't explain why I see no difference at all. And I am very sensitive to jumps in cortisol, even a small illness or argument deep sixes my control, which is otherwise great.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member

Type 1, on an integrated pump + CGM.

It's possible that you don't "see" a spike because your beta cells are still doing their job, with some outside help, and you don't have a CGM to get the minute by minute readings. I only noticed it when I went on the 670G, and my trainer cautioned me that a lot of her coffee drinkers found they had to start bolusing for coffee because they couldn't set an increased basal rate to cover random spikes after breakfast. (The 670G works as a hybrid closed loop, so I have no control over my basal rate.)