13»

Replies

• RealWorldStrengthLLC
    RealWorldStrengthLLC Posts: 552 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    OP- I’m curious based on this and some other threads/comments.

How do you feel about people who have health and fitness goals that do not ever include (or have any desire to include) pushing or working at the limits of what a human body may be capable of doing?

That’s very poorly worded, but I get the sense that you have particular views on those who aren’t working to push the limits of the human body-or working up to that as a long term goal.

Hmm, I guess I'll give that a two part answer. The first is the Socrates quote "No man has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a shame it is for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable"

The second part: everyone should be active in some form or fashion and have a basic understanding of fitness and nutrition. I have a friend who is super into skating and eats right. I think he's a scrawny git who could stand to pack on 40 pounds, but that's just an opinion, I know he is very healthy, and I have no problem with his fitness levels. It doesn't matter to me if you're a runner, a lifter, a crossfitter, or just active. (I worry about their form and joints but it's not a bad thing) I do truly believe that almost everyone would benefit from lifting weights - they don't necessarily have to take it super seriously, but squats, deads, benches, ohp, and bodyweight stuff like pushups, dips and pull ups are for everyone barring some injury that prevents them.

So much the bolded. One of the main reasons people have to go to assisted living is because they can't get off the toilet.

I have a grandfather who is deteriorating fast because he refuses to eat right or leave his apartment, partially because he probably can't make it 50 steps. If he were to do 3 sets of 10-20 chair sit squats every other day and eat a balanced meal plan that is a slightly above his TDEE (I've offered several times to make him one), his muscle atrophy would all but dissapear.

It is sad. Have you tried so sort of protein shake with him to get the protein and calories in? So many ways you can mix that stuff up he probably wouldn't know it was good for him

Its a complicated situation. Late marriage divorce (damn near 50 years, his call) He definitely suffers from some sort of depression and anxiety, but won't get help (I'm no shrink but I've been around it and know what it looks like) - he literally won't leave his apartment, my aunt has to make him do hygine every week. We buy him protien shakes but he has this habit of not eating for 2 days and then eating a jar of peanut butter, 3 protien shakes, and like 6 cinnamon rolls and then complaining about stomach issues. I hate to say it but he's basically mental...hasn't left his apartment in over 2 years (that I can verify, its been longer im sure). Won't see a shrink. Won't see a doctor. Won't get new dentures. Won't listen to me, my uncles, my aunt, my ma, no one.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    OP- I’m curious based on this and some other threads/comments.

How do you feel about people who have health and fitness goals that do not ever include (or have any desire to include) pushing or working at the limits of what a human body may be capable of doing?

That’s very poorly worded, but I get the sense that you have particular views on those who aren’t working to push the limits of the human body-or working up to that as a long term goal.

Hmm, I guess I'll give that a two part answer. The first is the Socrates quote "No man has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a shame it is for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable"

The second part: everyone should be active in some form or fashion and have a basic understanding of fitness and nutrition. I have a friend who is super into skating and eats right. I think he's a scrawny git who could stand to pack on 40 pounds, but that's just an opinion, I know he is very healthy, and I have no problem with his fitness levels. It doesn't matter to me if you're a runner, a lifter, a crossfitter, or just active. (I worry about their form and joints but it's not a bad thing) I do truly believe that almost everyone would benefit from lifting weights - they don't necessarily have to take it super seriously, but squats, deads, benches, ohp, and bodyweight stuff like pushups, dips and pull ups are for everyone barring some injury that prevents them.

So much the bolded. One of the main reasons people have to go to assisted living is because they can't get off the toilet.

Yes, this was true for my OH's mother, but will not be true for mine, who is very very active, including squats during both her "extreme gardening", as her former trainer used to say, and at the gym with her new trainer.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    I get your point and your frustration. we are not ganging up on you. The fact is you work to be fit and lead a disciplined life. You'd like to be respected for that. And here.. this unfit friend basically tells you that he sees you as a guy who is "pushing it" ..so much that you have vertigo.

Instead of you being an example to him......he actually thinks you are being unhealthy.

It is funny if you really want to think on it. Hang with some fit friends who don't see you as a freak. :)

I think your friend was just trying to help, as irritating it is...

Insightful actually.

I think I took more offense to the fact that he thought this was pushing myself than anything. I spent 7 years in the military. Infantry too, not some desk job. He knows this, and it almost felt like he had no respect or idea what that day to day life was like. What I'm doing now? This is cake. Its not 2 a days, I get better food of my choosing, I get more sleep, I don't have to run on caffeine, nocotine, and hate. My workouts are mine and programmed well, I don't have to worry about training legs and then getting a text at 10pm that I'm doing a 10 mile ruck with 60lbs st 6am.

Yet another reason why I chose the Air Force. No rucks ever. No 10 mile runs ever. :lol:
  • makkimakki2018
    makkimakki2018 Posts: 414 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Perhaps they didn't mean it that way....

I too am often told you need days off the bike. I don't get offended, but i tell myself i'll just ride gently and at a cruise pace. Im currently almost at my goal of 1250 km and 8000 m in elevation, but with little time left to complete them both and thunderstorms being forcasted much of the last week i am feeling very exhausted and mentally drained. To me i think this is exactly what they meant when they say things like over worked. Im fixated too much on achieving a goal that im losing sight of the reason i even started cycling. Im just suggesting maybe just continue what your doing and eventually you yourself will find out what they meant?
  • New_Heavens_Earth
    New_Heavens_Earth Posts: 610 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Wow. A lot of people seem to missing the point.

First off, the vertigo has been checked by a medical professional. It's probably BPPV and likely nothing to worry about and not caused by physical activity - it just happened, no real cause. The friend knew this.

Second, I know the friend was concerned, I pretty much said so in my original post.

My friend is extremely sedentary. My whole point is that I find it very sad that shedding weight, following a lifting routine, and having active hobbies could even be considered pushing oneself. It is not. What i want to know is why have we fallen so far away from fitness as a whole that an average person would consider that pushing oneself?

Also someone asked if I've ever had any injuries before this. The answer is yes. I've broken bones, cracked ribs, had plenty of stitches, I've had surgical hardware put in 4 times in 3 different spots, broke some of that hardware once and had to have it changed out.

Two sides of the coin.

Given the medical history provided, as a friend I'd be concerned that you weren't pushing yourself to hard as well.

But, I've also heard similar from the sedentary, obese, don't care about health or quality of life people in my life as well. They didn't understand the hows and whys of my exercise or diet, and didn't really seem to want to.

So yes, context matters. Were they concerned about changes in your health status? Or is it that they don't understand your lifestyle and they feel it's excessive?
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    Perhaps they didn't mean it that way....

I too am often told you need days off the bike. I don't get offended, but i tell myself i'll just ride gently and at a cruise pace. Im currently almost at my goal of 1250 km and 8000 m in elevation, but with little time left to complete them both and thunderstorms being forcasted much of the last week i am feeling very exhausted and mentally drained. To me i think this is exactly what they meant when they say things like over worked. Im fixated too much on achieving a goal that im losing sight of the reason i even started cycling. Im just suggesting maybe just continue what your doing and eventually you yourself will find out what they meant?

This episode of the GCN Show seems especially apt:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaekUjAOUS8