What type of diet are most people doing? Keto? WW? Which is the healthiest?

Options
124»

Replies

• psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »
    nygr8guy wrote: »
    psychod787 wrote: »
    nygr8guy wrote: »
    Last night was a disaster for me. I was following my low carb high fat macros until I attended a farewell party for leaving my job. We had appetizers like pretzel fondue, and I also had a few martinis. That was last night, today is today. :-)

Maybe that's a sign.... just saying... if you were "flexible" no problem as long as you stick to your calories.

I was flexible, but I certainly didn't stick to my calories. It's like I threw everything I learned out the window. I didn't want to "deprive" myself of enjoying the foods everyone else were having. On top of all of the apps, I had a bacon cheeseburger with the bun. OMG, so good, but I got it out of my system.

Sometimes not sticking to your calories (or more accurately, allowing yourself more calories) is the right move. It's not a disaster, it's how food management for life works. If you don't live in a bubble you need to understand that it's normal to allow yourself more calories sometimes. As long as you aren't overeating consistently, the occasional higher calorie day is a drop in the bucket.

Agreed. This is a very important skill to master in the art of lifelong weight maintenance. Parties happen, unexpected social events happen, life happens. That doesn't go away just because you're trying to lose weight.

Developing the ability to handle this without compromising your overall goals is necessary for success. Many times it's as much a mental exercise as physical. Eating in such a way that you have flexibility to go with the flow really helps, IMO.

^^^^^
    This... I have never tried keto, but have thought about it. There are some documented cases of it slightly lowering appetite, but you could try increasing protein in lew of some carbs. The biggest problem for me is the restrictive nature of the diet. You felt like you didn't want to be deprived of what others had, well..... one way of doing this while staying to calories is, during the day, sticking to higher protein , some fat, and lighter on the carbs, stick to heavy satiety based fruits and veggies. Then at night you have some flex with calories. There is also banking from the day before. For weight loss and maintenance, what is most important is weekly intake. When protein and fiber are equated that is. Best of luck.

*edit*
    Just wanted to state that I am glad you are having a positive outlook after one rough night. There is a lot of skill that has to be learned. It is a learning curve for me every day and I have been rigid dieting for almost 3 years. Just when I think I have things figured out, I learn something new!
  • 7elizamae
    7elizamae Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    I got 'roped into' a Whole 30 diet last summer (best friend and husband were both doing it so I joined in for practical reasons). I was highly skeptical, but lost 9 pounds in 30 days. I only had about 10 pounds to lose, so I was pretty happy with the results. I had never lost weight at that rate before.

It isn't meant for weight loss -- it's an elimination diet to help you find foods that cause problems for you.

However, it leads to weight loss for many/most people. Basically, it restricts calories by cutting out carbs and added sugars. I ate a TON of lean protein, vegetables, nuts, and fruit. I found a lot of yummy recipes and enjoyed most of it. It might be worth a try.
  • nygr8guy
    nygr8guy Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I think the best plan is the one that you can do long term and is sustainable. Anything that restricts food groups really doesn't sound practical.
  • nygr8guy
    nygr8guy Posts: 77 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    I changed my macros on MFP from 20 Grams of Carbs to 50. I can't see me maintaining a WOE if I can't eat salad or veggies. I know green leafy is good, but I but I need more than that. Still not looking to go carb crazy just not as low as Keto goes.