Better Choice than coffee creamer

Options

Replies

• steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,216 Member
    Options
    It took some trial and error but I found the break point of the amount of creamer that still gives me the flavor profile I like with the least amount of calories. I'm enough of a nerd that I extrapolated that ratio to the different size mugs I use so I always know the amount for the correct ratio; 12mL creamer per 8oz coffee is what works for me. I have no more than 24oz coffee per day so the max 36 mL creamer is always budgeted in my daily calories.

TBH, if I'm having an issue with calories it's never due to my coffee, though I recognize that's not always the case for everyone.
  • lin_be
    lin_be Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Half and half with no sugar does the trick for me. I also sometimes add cinnamon, nutmeg or cardamom spice when grinding my beans (or added the ground beans) for a hint of flavor with low calories.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    Torani sugar free syrups - I am partial to the hazelnut and salted caramel. I heat up some cashew milk and froth it. Very fancy, tastes good, negligible calories.
  • PumpJockeyy
    PumpJockeyy Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Blackk ftw
  • admaarie
    admaarie Posts: 4,297 Member
    Options
    I like adding Jordan’s skinny syrups and a bit of cashew milk
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    I don't drink coffee, but if you like flavor in your hot drinks, I'll will add to the voices recommending Jordan's skinny syrups. You can find them in places like Burlington and TJ Maxx or just order them from Amazon.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    lin_be wrote: »
    Half and half with no sugar does the trick for me. I also sometimes add cinnamon, nutmeg or cardamom spice when grinding my beans (or added the ground beans) for a hint of flavor with low calories.

Yes, before I started putting the protein powder to my coffee, I played with adding cinnamon, nutmeg or cardamom spice - liked them all, esp cardamom.
  • AT0M1CR00ST3R
    AT0M1CR00ST3R Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Shiree130 wrote: »
    I am a HUGE coffee lover. I am a mom to 4 kids and I'm still up through out the night with 2 of them so for me coffee is a necessity! I am looking for something healthier than coffee creamer. I've tried black coffee with a sugar substitute and it just doesn't work for me. I like the different flavors of the creamer. Any suggestions for a healthier version would be greatly appreciated! 😃

Things like Coffee Mate and International Delight tend to have a lot of sugar and calories and hydrogenated oils. You're trying to avoid them. Good idea.

One option for a hot drink is to pick up a small milk steamer. Stir in some steamed milk or simply spoon it on top. It provides that frothy foam with fewer calories and makes it like a latte.

Another is to add a couple Tbsp of real half & half, ice, and blend it. This makes it like a frapp and only adds 40 calories.

As for sugar substitutes, I prefer sweet n low. IMO it tastes better than stevia, nutrisweet, or splenda. I know, I know, many people despise artificial sweetners, but to me they are an acceptable risk.
  • HotMermaid729
    HotMermaid729 Posts: 806 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Try the link below. I use their coffee creamer, instant coffee and creamer mix, cocoa drink mix, and their turmeric mix (good for curry soups). These are all coconut based and GOOD!

https://lairdsuperfood.com
  • dianesanny1234
    dianesanny1234 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I do a macro based diet and use to love Vanilla Creamer until I really read the ingredients!! My fitness coach recommended Califia Almond Milk/Vanilla Creamer and I also use 3 drops of Lakanto Monkfruit Sweetener (Vanilla). Delish, I even sprinkle cinnamon on top
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    0gelb8ljk55o.png
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    0gelb8ljk55o.png

I dont think that's going to make her coffee lower calorie?
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Sometimes, you got to do what you got to do. I'm just making adjustments in the rest of my day because it tastes so good. The secret ingredient to the flavor is the salt, the non-iodized salt.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Sometimes, you got to do what you got to do. I'm just making adjustments in the rest of my day because it tastes so good. The secret ingredient to the flavor is the salt, the non-iodized salt.

Oh, I assumed that was a suggestion to the op, who is asking for low cal alternatives to flavored creamers.
  • Tanya_Clair
    Tanya_Clair Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    have you tried black coffee with a smidge of honey in it? It's my new go to!
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    Options

Yeah, I agree salt is good in coffee, but... when I do drink coffee (I go through phases), I just add salt to the grounds. It's surely a lower cal way of getting salt into the flavor equation.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options

Yeah, I agree salt is good in coffee, but... when I do drink coffee (I go through phases), I just add salt to the grounds. It's surely a lower cal way of getting salt into the flavor equation.

How much do you put in for a cup? I've always said I hate sugar in my coffee and I'd rather have salt, but I've never actually tried it. I like chilis and unsweetened chocolate in my coffee.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Since flavor is what you're after you might like my trick, which is a few drops of flavored extract plus either low fat milk or unsweetened almond milk. Vanilla, rum, almond, orange, and peppermint extracts are my most common choices. Cinnamon on top. Extracts do have calories but they are low enough that a couple of drops is counted as zero calories.

@lynn_glenmont I sometimes put paprika in coffee - I did it by accident once thinking it was the cinnamon and liked it. I always thought I was a weirdo! Nice to meet someone who puts chilis in coffee.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    Options

How much do you put in for a cup? I've always said I hate sugar in my coffee and I'd rather have salt, but I've never actually tried it. I like chilis and unsweetened chocolate in my coffee.

I do it by the pot. About 7-10 shakes of salt into my French press. I don't know how much that is, maybe 1/8-1/4 tsp? So let's see, I put 8 tbsp of coffee into the press, so a nice pinch per cup. Such precise measurements there!
  • iandjray2723
    iandjray2723 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Coffe with coconut 🥥 oil and stevia natural sweetener 👍