Will eating Deli Meat really cause cancer?

Replies

• Sloth2016
    Sloth2016 Posts: 838 Member
    Another vote here for not a significant risk.

See e.g., Lieberman and Kwon, "FACTS VERSUS FEARS: A REVIEW OF THE GREATEST UNFOUNDED HEALTH SCARES OF RECENT TIMES", published by The AMERICAN COUNCIL ON SCIENCE AND HEALTH (September 2004), p. 17. (https://www.acsh.org/sites/default/files/Facts-Versus-Fears-Unfounded-Health-Scares 4th edition.pdf)

'The American Cancer Society states, “Nitrites in foods
    are not a significant cause of cancer among
    Americans.” The Council for Agricultural Science
    and Technology agreed, in their recent review of the
    issue, that “the scientific evidence does not support
    restrictions in the consumption of salted, smoked, or
    nitrite-preserved foods by the U.S. population."'
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    kimny72 wrote: »
    sebanii wrote: »
    @CSARdiver https://www.cancer.org/latest-news/world-health-organization-says-processed-meat-causes-cancer.html

not to keep arguing with you but just some reading material that i wouldnt say is total clickbaity

Quoted from the link:

"Twenty-two experts from 10 countries reviewed more than 800 studies to reach their conclusions. They found that eating 50 grams of processed meat every day increased the risk of colorectal cancer by 18%. That’s the equivalent of about 4 strips of bacon or 1 hot dog. For red meat, there was evidence of increased risk of colorectal, pancreatic, and prostate cancer.

Overall, the lifetime risk of someone developing colon cancer is 5%. To put the numbers into perspective, the increased risk from eating the amount of processed meat in the study would raise average lifetime risk to almost 6%."

So if you eat 50g of processed meat every day for the rest of your life, your risk of colon cancer will increase from 5% to 6%. What you do with that info and how you personally rate the risk to benefit ratio is up to you.

I don't eat "processed meat" every day, and I have no extra risk for colon cancer from anything else, so I don't worry about it for me personally.

That rise of colon cancer from 5 to 6% is for red processed meat too - pork and beef. It may not even apply to turkey deli meat.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,230 Member
    As others have pointed out, processed meats can give a small increased risk of colonic cancers - this is not click bait, it is scientifically based.

Of course, dosage matters - so there is a difference between turkey slice in a sandwich a few times a week ( for example) and sausages and bacon every meal every day.

From the scientific data I would take the stance that not eating processed meats in excess ( I haven't looked up actual recommended levels as I dont eat a lot of it anyway) would be a good idea, particularly if you have other increased risk factors eg family history or history of rectal polyps.

I would not take the stance that one turkey sandwich will cause cancer or that processed meats in low levels is any issue.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    As others have pointed out, processed meats can give a small increased risk of colonic cancers - this is not click bait, it is scientifically based.

Of course, dosage matters - so there is a difference between turkey slice in a sandwich a few times a week ( for example) and sausages and bacon every meal every day.

From the scientific data I would take the stance that not eating processed meats in excess ( I haven't looked up actual recommended levels as I dont eat a lot of it anyway) would be a good idea, particularly if you have other increased risk factors eg family history or history of rectal polyps.

I would not take the stance that one turkey sandwich will cause cancer or that processed meats in low levels is any issue.

I have both a family history (my mother died of colon cancer) and a history of rectal polyps (some pre-cancerous). I don't avoid processed meats (convenience factor as much as anything, but wish I could buy unprocessed turkey breast that is already cooked) but I do make sure it is not part of my everyday diet. I think the fact that I am a healthy weight, get adequate exercise, don't drink or smoke and have a diet high in fibre and low in saturated fats (plenty of unsaturated though) more than makes up for the slight increase in my risks from a slice of 2 or turkey or beef every few days.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,230 Member
    I would think the increased risk from a slice or two every few days is next to zero.

The risk was only from excessive consumption ( dosage matters) and even that risk was very small.

And of course, like you said, control your other risk factors too ie be healthy weight, don't smoke, eat balanced diet etc too.

And, for those at risk or in relevant age groups, do FOBT's as recommended.

Prevention is good but so is early detection.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,072 Member
    edited January 2019
    sebanii wrote: »
    But you hear about all those stories about cured meat/smoked/preserved (nitrates blah blah) are cancer causing

I think the dosage and frequency for significant increase in cancer risk is a lot higher than what I eat, so I don't worry about it. I prefer to roast my own meat, when I can, because most deli meat (other than stuff that is dry cured, like salami or lebanon bologna) tastes/feels/looks like it's been pumped up with water, and I prefer not to pay meat prices for added water. But it's convenient, and turkey and ham both make nice snacks with a good protein-to-calories ratio.

ETA: Plus, I'm counting on the genetic heritage of my grandfather who ate cured meat roughly three times a day, 365 days a year, and lived to his 90s. I seem to have gotten his dental health genes (he was still chewing all that cured meat with all of his own teeth in his 90s), so I'm hoping it's a package deal. :smile:
  • JaxxieKat
    JaxxieKat Posts: 427 Member
    Next week they'll say cold cuts cure cancer and milk causes it. Just eat what you like and stay in your calorie deficit. Only caveat with deli meats, as has already been mentioned, they are high in sodium which can cause a temporary water retention.
  • gcminton
    gcminton Posts: 170 Member
    You're right, we do hear an awful lot of fear-mongering from people with agendas (usually money) so it's important to consider the source and verify the information. I know I'm grateful that there are people here on MFP that are highly educated in a variety of subjects, so there's usually at least one person that'll chime in to shed light on pretty much anything you could imagine.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited January 2019
    There are legitimate scientific sources linking excess consumption of processed meats and red meat to a small increase in colonic cancer risk.

Yes i get that the risk is small and should be seen in context and is probably not statistically significant for most people - but on the other hand I dont dismiss it as being clickbait nonsense - It is not. It is useful information if understood correctly and seen in context. (like most things)

I don't think anyone is saying the research is clickbait, it's the way it was relayed to the public. And unfortunately it's a fact of research life that sometimes you have to up the drama to get more money for more research, or take advantage of the general publics lack of scientific literacy.

And I do think we are still talking about correlation, there is no observed direct affect in the lab, although someone can feel free to correct me if that's wrong.

For me, I think the takeaway is that if I were to worry about every possible thing that could potentially raise my risk of cancer a smidge, I'd starve to death in a padded cell.