Will eating Deli Meat really cause cancer?

Options
Id love to know how you guys tackle this issue.

Deli turkey is a reliable way for me to track calories and isnt rabbit food but i heard it can kill you via cancer. Please share input!!

Replies

• sebanii
    sebanii Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    But you hear about all those stories about cured meat/smoked/preserved (nitrates blah blah) are cancer causing
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,181 Member
    Options
    Someone recently posted a link on a myfitnesspal discussion which was published by ASCH.org and discussed prominent false health news of the past 50 years. The nitrates fright was among them. First was the fright. Subsequently following quietly was the careful and sound science which resulted in the world continuing to enjoy luncheon meats.

Yes, cancer is increasing. Cancer is an affliction of old age. Were it not for Americans killing themselves with opioids, Americans would be enjoying increased lifespan just as are much of the rest of the world. Of course cancer is going to increase. Fortunately, we live in a marvelous time when many cancers are curable, and survival rates of 50% for many other forms of cancer are normal. Example: I have a cousin who is over 70 now and fighting cancer. Her cancers are shrinking. She's been posting on facebook recently about makeup. She's not fighting a losing fight so much as planning for a long future.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,626 Member
    Options
    take my chances with deli meat before id drink water from the tap in Flint Michigan....

anyways, anything can kill you in enough quantities. I use deli meat from the deli (not the pre packaged stuff) all the time. and sometimes the prepackaged stuff too, if im in a pinch lol