Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    what happens on day 18?
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Geeez I'm sorry I asked the question!!!!! Trust me I hate diet's! Hell I know there are no magic pill to lose weight!! I am looking at this as a life style change in my life. I know the way to be successful is calories in, calories out. I am in no rush to lose my weight! Slow n steady wins the race

you hate diets but you are doing the 17 day diet???

If you know all this, why are you doing the 17 day diet..?
  • jenbk2
    jenbk2 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    It is so funny to me that people are on here making comments about this diet yet really know nothing about it. It really is not that complicated of a "lifestyle change". You do get to eat carbs. Just the first 17 days is a detox then you slowly add in the healthy carbs. I absolutely love this"diet".
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options
    It's a bunch of crap.

Eat at a calorie deficit, one that is sustainable and not ridiculously under a healthy number for your stats. Strength train to maintain LBM or don't your choice but going for fad diet, quick fixes will land you right back where you are with a lot more to lose than when you started.

Oh and yes I am being mean and rude because i don't agree with a diet that is a bunch of garbage and a book that's a waste of money. :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: God Bless, have a great day, you're doing great!!
  • Iron_Lotus
    Options
    It is so funny to me that people are on here making comments about this diet yet really know nothing about it. It really is not that complicated of a "lifestyle change". You do get to eat carbs. Just the first 17 days is a detox then you slowly add in the healthy carbs. I absolutely love this"diet".

How do you know? You have no idea what people on here know about. Most of them have tried all of the fads and are actually giving good advice as to why they don't work. Just because you don't agree doesn't make your assumptions any truer.

Have a great day :flowerforyou:
  • slimbettie
    slimbettie Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    ^^THIS^^
  • ArtemisRuns
    ArtemisRuns Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Sorry Lisa, some are kind of brutal here on the threads. you can come here looking for support but God help you if you mention a fad diet, and just as a warning, NEVER mention Dr. Oz.

1320779156_doucheback_bison.gif
  • ks4e
    ks4e Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I did it when it first came out. I never felt hungry, because according to the instructions, you eat whenever you are hungry. It's high in protein and veggies and fruits. You drink lots of water. Basically, you eat how you should.

The hardest part for me was not eating processed carbs, so I allowed myself one serving of crackers daily during the first cycle.

If you google recipes, you will find plenty to give this diet plenty of variety.

I only had to do the first 2 cycles (about a month) to lose the amount of weight I wanted. I stayed active and it was a great starting point for me to eat healthy and not just grab junk like I had done my whole life.

It's great for that person who wants to lose weight AND be healthy but doesn't know how to start. The variety and suggested menus takes the guesswork out of an emergence into a new, healthier lifestyle. I know many people say eat at a calorie deficit but some people are compulsive and cannot do that without some structure, which is exactly what this book offers.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options

and the fact that you mentioned "detox" calls into question the rest of this statement.
  • KissMeImShtFaced
    Options
    17? Pfft. The 16 day diet is where it's at. 16 is the key.
  • timwhoa
    timwhoa Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I personally love Low Carb diets, I have been on Atkins induction now for over 3 months, and I am now down 62 pounds, Low carb living really works for those who stick with it, I would go beyond just 17 days, ( as most diets do), ( even atkins is longer than 2 weeks), but most people only seem to know about phase 1, and have never read the book??? but personally for me, Atkins has taken away my type 2 diabeties, and I have normal fasting blood sugar again, I have no doubts that by staying on atkins I will complelty lose the remaining 118 pounds I still need to drop, there are several atkins groups on My Fitness Pal, look us up, you will find nothing but happy supportive people in the atkins threads, hope to see you there
  • cmb67
    cmb67 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    "no fruit after 2 pm because those calories are harder to process"???

Per WebMD:
    "The 17 Day Diet: What Dietitians Say:
    Experts give thumbs-up for the food choices, overall message of clean eating, avoiding unhealthy carbs, enjoying foods that you love, and regular exercise. But thumbs-down on the weight loss theory and restriction of healthy foods like fruits and low-fat dairy.
    “If you can get beyond the gimmicky title and past the weight loss theories, which are very loosely based on science, it is a good plan resembling what most people try to do on their own," Nodvin says.
    American Dietetic Association spokeswoman Keri Gans, MS, RD agrees. "There is no evidence that you can fool your metabolism by calorie-shifting but the low-calorie plans featuring healthy foods are a good approach to weight loss," she says.
    Gans cautions that the weight loss is not because of metabolism confusion but primarily due to cutting calories, and that the initial water weight loss may be short-lived and not sustainable once you bring carbs back into your diet.
    Anyone who exercises strenuously may require more snacks and calories, Gans says.

The 17 Day Diet: Food for Thought:

Despite the plan's title, you will not lose weight quickly and keep it off after being on this plan for only 17 days.

Alternating between cycle 1 and cycle 2 might prevent boredom, but it really is just a strategy to cut calories and give you staying power to stick with the plan.
  • ndj1979
    Options

what are you detoxing?
  • KissMeImShtFaced
    Options

what are you detoxing?

Well the obvious answer is because Dr. Oz said so.
  • rummyqueen
    rummyqueen Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    If any one loses weight that fast believe me you will gain it all back plus more.the best diet is to eat right workout and lose the weight slow ,and diets say you can lose it in 7 or 10 days and you get off of it ,you will gain it all back.Just cook healthy and eat your proteins and you will lose the weight the right way,good luck to all.
  • Iron_Lotus
    Options
    I detox every day :)

It's called pooing and peeing works wonders :flowerforyou:
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    I detox every day :)

It's called pooing and peeing works wonders :flowerforyou:

:flowerforyou: :love:
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    it will work but lots of people are unable to finish even the first 17 day cycle.
    it cuts out nearly everything and is pretty hard to maintain.
    good on you if you can "cold turkey" cut sugar, carbs, caffeine, but most can't.
    try your best to eat clean but don't kick yourself or give up if you can't do it all in 17 days.
    baby steps make lifestyle changes and solid progress. i think that's what is the mantra on these boards.

p.s. please try to ignore any snarky comments. most people on here are helpful and supportive. there's just a HUGE intolerance for people who are either just starting out or haven't picked up the standards of this group. good luck and hang in there.
    ^^^^
    This. I lost almost 30lbs doing cycle 1-3 and then join MFP (trust me lots hate the mention of this eating plan) but if you choose to do this it does work and helps you develop a healthy lifestyle (it did me at least). Now I stay pretty much cycle 3 as I wish to continue to loose just not as fast and I am working out hard and will be lifting soon.

As mentioned there is a group and another thread where they swap recipes and offer support. Good luck.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    what happens on day 18?

You again....grrr same question as last time.

Day 18 introduce complex carbs into eating. IE couscous, long grain rice and beef and pork every other day...:tongue:
    Day 34 up exercise to 45mins and add more carbs like potatoes watch portion size of meats
    Day 51 maintain if happy or return to go and start over
  • mlindenmuth36
    mlindenmuth36 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    17 Day Diet is great for people who don't know how to eat lean and clean. Some people need to be told what to do until it becomes habit to them. The 17 Day Diet helps retrain your thinking and dieting. I followed for 2 cycles and decided instead of moving onto cycle 3 I would maintain the same principles and just calorie count on MFP. The meal plans and recipes offered in the book are so helpful for ideas on what to make.

It's not for everyone. It takes a lot of discipline but can really be helpful in jump starting a healthy life style.