Replies

• 130annie
    130annie Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    This!
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    Well as long as you know your maintenance and cut calories I don't think it matters how you choose to lose them. Just remember if you get tired of sticking to what the plan recommends, as long as you're paying attention to cal in vs cal out you'll be fine. Good luck.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    But not every diet or program works for everyone. I like to try things to see what works for me. (I also do not comment on things I know nothing about- but again that's just me). Like I said, I wish people who have not tried something would just butt out and for the people who have, be honest. The 17 day diet is by no means dangerous so I do not see the reason for all of the bashing. Like I said, go to facbook with the crap.

How many calories are you eating on the 17 day diet?

You aren't supposed to track calories. It focus on carbs and sugars first and teaching you the difference between healthy and not healthy foods. By the time you are done with the cycles you shouldn't even crave the junk anymore. And you should have a good idea how to eat properly. It's not impossible to over eat on this diet, but it is hard, since it's comprised primarily of lean protein and veggies. I'm counting the calories anyway because I already eat the way the book advocates, I've just been snacking on junk too much lately and it's a habit for me to come here and log everything. Today is my day 1 and i landed at 1300 calories with my plan. I might add more to dinner depending if i'm hungry or not. As of now i'm not, but it's not even lunchtime here yet.

It tells you what you should eat versus what you should not eat, then gives you a plan to cut out the "do not eat" foods in a healthy manner. By the end of the 3rd cycle you can eat anything you want really and you're mindset should be reset. I'm not there yet. But I'll be happy to see if it works for me. :)

if I can't stick to it.. i'll just figure something else out.

oh and btw.. when the books says cleanse.. it means eat yogurt and soy beans and other foods that cause you to "cleanse" naturally
  • highervibes
    Options

You aren't supposed to track calories. It focus on carbs and sugars first and teaching you the difference between healthy and not healthy foods. By the time you are done with the cycles you shouldn't even crave the junk anymore. And you should have a good idea how to eat properly.

How can you learn how to eat properly if you don't know how many calories it takes to run your body?
  • SOOZIE429
    SOOZIE429 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    Sure, I did it. And then proceeded to gain all my weight back. And more. Fads don't work. A lifestyle change does.
  • CheriM07
    Options
    Yes, I have a friend who had success with the program. She recommended it tome and lent me her book. I don't think it is a fad diet at all. I think it is a healthy way to eat. It is mostly whole clean foods. I tried it about a year ago, and did great for a bout 2 weeks. Then I went on vacation... Bottom line, it was a drastic change in my eating habits and I just wasn't ready for that kind of commitment. I'm still not. i just joined here today and am doing weight watchers, so I can get my portion sizes under control.
    Good luck to you!
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Options

You aren't supposed to track calories. It focus on carbs and sugars first and teaching you the difference between healthy and not healthy foods. By the time you are done with the cycles you shouldn't even crave the junk anymore. And you should have a good idea how to eat properly.

How can you learn how to eat properly if you don't know how many calories it takes to run your body?

If you go from eating crappy to this meal plan. you will learn. If you eat the foods it tells you to you'd have to eat an awful lot to over eat. diet is a really bad word for this plan/ It's a plan to teach you what foods are good and healthy to eat and which ones to avoid. I would count calories anyway, but the focus of the meal plan is not on calories. Diets don't work. But learning to make healthy food choices will. If you continue it. I don't want to count calories forever, so i'm hoping this will help me get away from it. if i find myself getting derailed again i'd count until i get back on track. It's life.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Options
    Sure, I did it. And then proceeded to gain all my weight back. And more. Fads don't work. A lifestyle change does.

Then you didn't use it right.. the 4th cycle is maintenance. You're suppose to continue eating the proper foods in the proper portions and the weight will stay off. Just like maintenance without having used any sort of diet or meal plan. If you over eat or go back to old habits you'll gain the weight back, no matter what sort of diet/lifestyle you are doing. It's not intended to be a forever thing. It says so right in the book.
  • highervibes
    Options

If you go from eating crappy to this meal plan. you will learn. If you eat the foods it tells you to you'd have to eat an awful lot to over eat. diet is a really bad word for this plan/ It's a plan to teach you what foods are good and healthy to eat and which ones to avoid. I would count calories anyway, but the focus of the meal plan is not on calories. Diets don't work. But learning to make healthy food choices will. If you continue it. I don't want to count calories forever, so i'm hoping this will help me get away from it. if i find myself getting derailed again i'd count until i get back on track. It's life.

I guess everyone's entitled to execute their plan how they see fit. I'd rather count calories than worry about a diet(noun) where less than nutritious indulgences are off limits. I can't see myself eating from a list for life anymore than you see yourself counting calories for life :flowerforyou:
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    This is just my opinion and experience.

I went to Web MD and read about the 17 Day diet. I don't understand what detox is all about. Our body detoxes via our natural processes, especially when we learn how to eat healthy and drink more water.

Web MD said the 17 Day diet is designed so that people lose weight fast. http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/17-day-diet-review.

In my past, I tried just about every "lose weight fast" program out there. I lost weight, but I felt sick and weak with each diet.

I want to encourage you to set eat healthy food within your calorie limit and to exercise. The results will be slower but longer lasting.

In any event, good luck with whatever you decide to do. :smile:

:drinker: :flowerforyou:
  • katejkelley
    katejkelley Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    I think it's a great program to kickstart your weight loss. The food is very nutritional and it provides you with some good guidelines going forward. I lost about 10 pounds on it, but then it started creeping back up. That's when a friend suggested MFP, and I've been here ever since!
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    Please let us know your miraculous results 17 days from now.
  • silvergurl518
    silvergurl518 Posts: 4,123 Member
    Options
    I don't know what this diet is... but it'll take a lot more than 17 days to get used to a new lifestyle.

bravo. yep. QFT. 17 day diet sounds like a set up for failure.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    Reading these comments is so frustrating.

OMG AGREED!

'cept, i think we're talking different comments. :flowerforyou:

sustained healthy caloric deficit FTW!!! :drinker:
  • lua_
    lua_ Posts: 258 Member
    Options

OMG AGREED!

• randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options

OMG AGREED!

:drinker: :drinker:
  • eissacf25
    eissacf25 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I love how people are people all judgmental when they don't even know what the 17 day diet is LOL. SMH.

haha seriously! relax people, maybe try googling what it is before running your mouths.

A. she asked the question to learn more about it and get your opinions and support, not to get snarky rude comments.
    B. how she diets is HER decision. if you have nothing nice to say, say nothing at all.

I personally have not tried this one, but I have done one similar where you cut out sugar, salt, bread, dairy and alcohol. I know sounds terrible, but it's really not bad at all! Once you get past the first few days, I found I didn't have any cravings for the sugars that I love so much. Then you slowly add back in what you cut out. I think its a great way to jump start your dieting, I know seeing the numbers go down on the scale is extremely motivational. Now I just count calories and try to stay with in my limits.

I would recommend getting acquainted with Mrs Dash, they have so many sodium free seasonings and now just came out with packets for pot roast, taco mix, chili, au jus sauce etc. Keeps things interesting with out the added salt. Try to stick to small amounts of complex carbs, like sweet potatoes or brown rice. Always try to fill up on veggies and protein first. Also, make sure you drink lots of water. That will really help in your weight loss journey.

Ok that is my 2 cents :) Good luck with everything and don't let the people who feel the need to comment with judgement get you down. Like someone else said, almost everyone I've come across on MFP is very helpful and supportive.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Please let us know your miraculous results 17 days from now.

I lost 12 lbs in the first 17 days, then proceed to lose another 13 on the next 2 phases (another 17x2 days) so in total I lost 25lbs in 50 days..so 1/2 a week.

I joined MFP when I decided to up my exercise and now follow the maintenance in Phase 4 of this book and have been doing it for almost 10 months now and haven't gained a lb back...as a matter of fact I have lost another 8.5lbs and 13 inches...

And in 5 years the story will be the same except I will be at 21% BF not 25%.

This is not for everyone...some people just can't do it for some reason can't give up white carbs and starches for 17days, then start off with complex carbs every other day...and I am not an atkins person or paleo etc but it does teach about good nutrition etc for those who need that "boost"

Anyway I eat whatever I want per the maintenance in this book and stay within my TDEE -15% so I can continue to lose while lifting.
  • shsuangel
    shsuangel Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My sister tried it and she lost a good amount of weight on it. She liked it. I might try it since nothing else I seem to do is working.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Options

I guess everyone's entitled to execute their plan how they see fit. I'd rather count calories than worry about a diet(noun) where less than nutritious indulgences are off limits. I can't see myself eating from a list for life anymore than you see yourself counting calories for life :flowerforyou:

I see you really have no idea what the 17 day diet really is, so you're just going off assumed knowledge.

It's not "banned for life" Just "banned "for 17/34/51 days. so less then 2 months. Then I can eat donuts if I want to, with the theory being, i won't want to. Honestly I already don't want to. It's not a detox program, it's an eat these healthy food and your body will naturally detox. It's not a forever diet, it's a do this for a short period of time to teach yourself healthy eating and what nutritious foods are. It's not telling you to starve, the book actually says if you're hungry eat more. It's not a low carb lifestyle, although the first 17 days are. It talks about drinking adequate water and getting enough sleep. And teaches you why you need toe at all the available array of colorful veggies. According to my son's guidance counselor; It takes 3 weeks to make a change habit. I'd say 17 days is pretty close.

I am personally struggling with eating enough. I am so full and I am way under what I need to eat. So i'd say it's working. Other then me needing to increase my consumption. Of course I always do this.