Vegetarians Losing Weight

Options
I am a vegetarian and have been since I was 12. People assume this means I am healthy. No. It means carbs are my best friend. I often help my self to seconds because “I didn’t get the meat serving.” This is not working out well. The worst is that I am not necessarily a huge salad fan either. Any other vegetarians trying to lose weight? What sort of things do you eat avoid carbs that are not meat?

Replies

• cara1606
    cara1606 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm also a vegetarian that used to eat pasta like 5 times a week at least, and I know the struggle. I started off forcing myself not to get seconds of pasta when I did eat it, and I'd often mix in some kind of vegetable! Spinach, peas, zucchini, carrots, broccoli, etc. That also really helped fill me up! There's also a recipe on MFP for lentil bolognese that's DELICIOUS, absolutely love it, low cal, low carb, and very filling!

I've gotten into frozen meals recently. Frozen burritos (350ish calories, keeps me full!) instead of chipotle (also a once a week food in the past). My Costco just started stocking this General Tso's Tofu (330 calories) that's really good and filling! I've been doing a lot of oatmeal for lunch (mixed with a little peanut butter and some sort of sweet treat, 2 or 3 yogurt pretzels do the trick and make it really good), and i get my "salads" on subs (literally just cheese, lettuce, onions, oil+vinegar+spices, it's AMAZING and pretty low cal!).

Zucchini pizza is also really good! Definitely tastes like zucchini, but if you scoop out the middle a bit and add sauce/cheese/onions/spinach/anything else you want, it's super low calorie and low carb!

I definitely get my full serving of carbs a day, but staying open minded to trying new things and adding in veggies to yummier foods helped me a lot, and I'm learning that I like a lot of things! Good luck!
  • sarasimp
    sarasimp Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I hear you! I always struggle to get a fair amount of protein. I like that I can check my macros on MFP. I try to eat oatmeal, lentils, tofu, yogurt, avocados. I actually added a small amount of fish back into my diet because I was having trouble getting enough protein on lower calories. I sometimes supplement with protein powder, although I don't like the taste very much. Good luck!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,906 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    During my 6 weeks in Costa Rico, I was about 95% plant based, and dropped a size without even trying, despite eating high carb tropical fruit all day long, and having high carb rice and beans once or twice a day. I lost weight because I wasn't eating high calorie foods that don't satiate me, like cheese.

I'm not saying you shouldn't eat cheese, but do pay attention to what foods satiate you for less calories. So if, for example, you find rice and beans filling but pasta not so much, save pasta for days when you've earned more calories from exercise. Or make sure you have a big helping of low calorie veggies that you find filling with that pasta.

I could easily eat 1200 calories of Pasta Alfredo in one meal, but while I enjoy rice and beans very much, I am never tempted to eat that much of them in a sitting.
  • allieeveryday
    allieeveryday Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I'm also a veggie, and I find that I really need some carbs to help feel full. I can eat veggies and fruits and still feel ravenous. No need to cut them out, just cut down so they fit in your calorie goal, and like Cara said, try mixing some veggies into stuff you already like to help bulk out the meal.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    Each time i read the information on what are supposedly vegetarian "meals", I cry about the lack of protein in them. This morning, something containing quinoa, I thought should be good, had 3 grams of protein per serving and 20 carbs! We like to have things by us for occasional use. Its another good reason to prepare one's own.

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,906 Member
    Options
    I'm an omnivore, but today's lunch could easily be adapted for vegetarians. I'd prefer more cheese, but add cottage cheese for less calories, more protein, and to get that mouth feel of cheese cheese:

8dd04470f52ff60371db650136ff2480.png
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    What are you eating to get your protein? Lots of people find protein (and fat) very satiating, so if you're not getting enough protein to feel full and that leads you to over-eat other foods, that could be a problem. FWIW, I average 120+ grams of vegetarian protein per day, so it's certainly possible to get adequate protein on a vegetarian diet. (I'm not vegan, though). I have to plan my meals around my protein source, and then I eat whatever fits around my protein.
  • SpicyWater
    SpicyWater Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I'm a pescetarian, but realistically I don't eat much fish.
    I do really struggle to hit MFP's goal for me of 89 g protein a day while staying in my calorie limit - the days when I do hit it, I've eaten cottage cheese, low fat yogurt, a few eggs, chia seeds or portioned nuts, black or green beans, smoked string cheese, and a protein shake as my main protein sources.
    It's too restrictive for me to try and limit carbs - but honestly I rarely go over my recommended limit if I'm eating mostly whole foods.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    I don't avoid carbs. I just work to hit my protein target and let the rest fall where it falls. Often that's around 50-55% carbs and 25-30% fat. Dropped 108.6 lbs so far.
  • allieeveryday
    allieeveryday Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Fruits and vegetables *are* mostly carbohydrates. Do you mean you need starchy items or grains to feel full?

Oh, duh! Yes, you're right I think I meant the starchy ones, but now that I'm thinking about it more, often when I eat fruit I'm also getting some fat or protein in too (string cheese with my apple, peanut butter and banana, etc.), so um I don't know what I'm talking about, ignore me! :neutral:
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Fruits and vegetables *are* mostly carbohydrates. Do you mean you need starchy items or grains to feel full?

Oh, duh! Yes, you're right I think I meant the starchy ones, but now that I'm thinking about it more, often when I eat fruit I'm also getting some fat or protein in too (string cheese with my apple, peanut butter and banana, etc.), so um I don't know what I'm talking about, ignore me! :neutral:

Yeah, I've found that fat and protein allow me to feel fuller when I am eating lots of fruits and vegetables. If I eat just fruits and vegetables, they don't fill me up well at all.
  • UltraVegAthlete
    UltraVegAthlete Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I’m fully raw vegan now in order to lose weight. It’s hard in the winter, but I’m determined to lose weight for my marathon. I’m not a big raw veggie eater, but I love plain salads with just lettuce and tomatoes.

Well, you will definitely lose weight as being a raw vegan is so restrictive. However, it is unnecessarily restrictive, and may hinder your performance goals.

I applaud ethical vegans, but I believe adding raw on top of it, especially in the winter, just adds too much unnecessary restriction.

Yes, I agree. And part of it is due to not being mentally recovered from my ED. But it’s helping me be okay with volume.