given up bread?

Options
Have you ever given up bread? If so what was your resulting weight loss experience?

My dietician was telling me yesterday that all bread is much more fattening than whole grains like oatmeal, brown rice, quinoa.
I asked why, given that bread is pretty low cal (50cals/slice on average) organic whole unrefined grain/wheat breads with lots of fiber and protein surely is healthy in moderation esp compared to white enriched bread?
Well, she told me that all bread is fattening bc automatically gets stored as fat. She said any time you have flour you have this fat storing hormonal response, no matter what kind of bread it is and that it is far worse for fat loss than foods like oatmeal and brown rice.
Her advice is to only eat grains that are in their WHOLE form. IE brown rice, black rice, quinoa, steal cut oatmeal. And to give up anything that contains flour.

thoughts?

Replies

• scottaworley
    scottaworley Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    My thoughts: Get a new dietician.
  • linalovekitty
    Options

elaborate?
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    Thoughts?
    That you are not seeing a real dietician.
  • scottaworley
    Options

elaborate?

Any dietician should know that nothing gets stored "automatically" as fat. Excess calories get stored as fat - period. If you are eating at a deficit you are not storing fat.
  • linalovekitty
    Options
    Thoughts?

she is a registered dietician w a Bachelor of Science in Food Science
  • linalovekitty
    Options

elaborate?

Any dietician should know that nothing gets stored "automatically" as fat. Excess calories get stored as fat - period. If you are eating at a deficit you are not storing fat.

she says while calories are important, there are hormonal responses that occur with certain foods that will affect your body fat storage system and that bread is the #1 enemy right up there w booze
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    Thoughts?

she is a registered dietician w a Bachelor of Science in Food Science

Interesting.

Bread does not get stored as fat and you do not need to cut flour out of your intake or anything else, unless you have a medical reason.
  • scottaworley
    Options

elaborate?

she says while calories are important, there are hormonal responses that occur with certain foods that will affect your body fat storage system and that bread is the #1 enemy right up there w booze

I might agree with that if you're eating at a surplus. I haven't seen the research, but I could imagine some kind of hormonal changes having an affect on how you use excess calories (fat vs muscle). When you are eating at a deficit, however, you are not either storing fat or creating muscle.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Your dietitian is misinformed.

Basically everything they said is bullchit. I would find someone new.
  • scottaworley
    Options
    Further, any dietician who advises you to give something up completely should basically not be a dietician. (Maybe excepting trans fats.)
  • Quisqueyana2013
    Quisqueyana2013 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I heard that before from a dietitian and from my endocrinologist. There are many schools of thought. I've given up bread and lost 8 lbs in one week. So I would say--it depends on the person. I am pretty much a wheat addict and diabetic so your dietitian's view does not sound like bunk to me. Give it up if you wish and see how you feel and if you lose. Like I said before--there are many theories and the human body is complex so you will never know unless you try to give it up. I know people who have lost weight eating bread--no problem. Good for them. It doesn't seem to work for me.
  • fatfudgery
    fatfudgery Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Further, any dietician who advises you to give something up completely should basically not be a dietician. (Maybe excepting trans fats.)

But... but... gluten, or something!
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Pretty weird thing for a dietitian to say. Are you sure he or she is legit?
  • scottaworley
    Options
    I heard that before from a dietitian and from my endocrinologist. There are many schools of thought. I've given up bread and lost 8 lbs in one week. So I would say--it depends on the person. I am pretty much a wheat addict and diabetic so your dietitian's view does not sound like bunk to me. Give it up if you wish and see how you feel and if you lose. Like I said before--there are many theories and the human body is complex so you will never know unless you try to give it up. I know people who have lost weight eating bread--no problem. Good for them. It doesn't seem to work for me.

If your dietician is encouraging you to lose 8 pounds in a week you should find a new dietician.
    I should say that if you have a gluten allergy or some other allergy (no need to wonder here - you will know) you should give up that thing.
  • linalovekitty
    Options

interesting you say that bc my dietician specializes in diabetic clients. the only grain she eats is oatmeal. she thinks bread is basically poison.
  • scottaworley
    Options

interesting you say that bc my dietician specializes in diabetic clients. the only grain she eats is oatmeal. she thinks bread is basically poison.

It sounds to me like she has a chip on her shoulder and IMO has no place advising clients that aren't diabetic.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    a guy i work with addresses me as "Doctor". and i address him also as "Doctor". but neither of us are actually doctors. perhaps your "dietitian" is playing a similar game with you.
  • fatfudgery
    fatfudgery Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    I know people who have lost weight eating bread--no problem. Good for them. It doesn't seem to work for me.
    I am [...] diabetic

Well, I, for one, am stumped. :indifferent:
  • linalovekitty
    Options
    a guy i work with addresses me as "Doctor". and i address him also as "Doctor". but neither of us are actually doctors. perhaps your "dietitian" is playing a similar game with you.

she does have Bachelor of Science in Food Science, which is why i see her and not "nutritionist" who has nothing
  • scottaworley
    Options

she does have Bachelor of Science in Food Science, which is why i see her and not "nutritionist" who has nothing

I'm just saying, I've met a LOT of people with bachelors degrees who know little about their field of study - especially years down the line.