given up bread?

Options

Replies

• MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I heard that before from a dietitian and from my endocrinologist. There are many schools of thought. I've given up bread and lost 8 lbs in one week. So I would say--it depends on the person. I am pretty much a wheat addict and diabetic so your dietitian's view does not sound like bunk to me. Give it up if you wish and see how you feel and if you lose. Like I said before--there are many theories and the human body is complex so you will never know unless you try to give it up. I know people who have lost weight eating bread--no problem. Good for them. It doesn't seem to work for me.

interesting you say that bc my dietician specializes in diabetic clients. the only grain she eats is oatmeal. she thinks bread is basically poison.

If you don't have diabetes, you don't need a diabetes diet.
    If you don't have celiac disease (or other wheat problem) you don't need an anti-wheat diet.
    If you're not sensitive to salt or have high blood pressure, you don't need to limit sodium.
    If you don't have a specific medical reason, you don't need to limit dietary cholesterol.
    Nobody needs a dietitian that gets their info from the book "wheat belly" rather than nutrition textbooks and research.

I hate professionals that treat people for diseases they don't have.
  • scottaworley
    scottaworley Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    I heard that before from a dietitian and from my endocrinologist. There are many schools of thought. I've given up bread and lost 8 lbs in one week. So I would say--it depends on the person. I am pretty much a wheat addict and diabetic so your dietitian's view does not sound like bunk to me. Give it up if you wish and see how you feel and if you lose. Like I said before--there are many theories and the human body is complex so you will never know unless you try to give it up. I know people who have lost weight eating bread--no problem. Good for them. It doesn't seem to work for me.

interesting you say that bc my dietician specializes in diabetic clients. the only grain she eats is oatmeal. she thinks bread is basically poison.

If you don't have celiac disease (or other wheat problem) you don't need an anti-wheat diet.
    If you're not sensitive to salt or have high blood pressure, you don't need to limit sodium.
    If you don't have a specific medical reason, you don't need to limit dietary cholesterol.
    Nobody needs a dietitian that gets their info from the book "wheat belly" rather than nutrition textbooks and research.

Strong 6,238th post.
  • MoreBean13
    Options

Strong 6,238th post.

Thanks I've been practicing for 6,238. It's special.
  • cicisiam
    cicisiam Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    Find a recipe online for a good healthy whole grain clean bread, and make it yourself , or find a great bakery or store that carries it.. Everything in moderation as always, but yes white flour products are of no value whatsoever.
  • JustAnotherGirlSuzanne
    Options
    Bread isn't bad for you, and unless you have Celiac disease or an intolerance there's really no reason to quit.

I've heard that white bread (and booze) are refined and so are quickly turned into sugar in your body and used up quickly. Which is why you can eat a slice of bread and be hungry within the hour unless you had put something like jam on it. When you eat a slice of whole grain bread it takes your body longer to digest it so you stay "full" for longer.

If you give up bread you'll probably lose weight quite simply because you're no longer eating donuts, cookies, cake, bread, cereals, and whatnot. Personally I think losing weight by cutting out bread has more to do with cutting out additional sugar than with the flour in it.

My $0.02.

(I have a gluten intolerance)
  • scottaworley
    Options
    Find a recipe online for a good healthy whole grain clean bread, and make it yourself , or find a great bakery or store that carries it.. Everything in moderation as always, but yes white flour products are of no value whatsoever.

White bread - 1 slice - 79 calories, 1g fat (.5 polyunsaturated .2 monounsaturated), .8g fiber, 2.8g protein, 7% calcium, 2% magnesium, 6% iron...
    Not the best specs I've seen, but definitely not of no value.
  • meadow_sage
    meadow_sage Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Have you ever given up bread? If so what was your resulting weight loss experience?

My dietician was telling me yesterday that all bread is much more fattening than whole grains like oatmeal, brown rice, quinoa.
    I asked why, given that bread is pretty low cal (50cals/slice on average) organic whole unrefined grain/wheat breads with lots of fiber and protein surely is healthy in moderation esp compared to white enriched bread?
    Well, she told me that all bread is fattening bc automatically gets stored as fat. She said any time you have flour you have this fat storing hormonal response, no matter what kind of bread it is and that it is far worse for fat loss than foods like oatmeal and brown rice.
    Her advice is to only eat grains that are in their WHOLE form. IE brown rice, black rice, quinoa, steal cut oatmeal. And to give up anything that contains flour.

thoughts?

Her advice is good, but her reasoning is not. It is better to whole grains. But all breads are not created equal. White bread and other highly refined breads are void in dietary fiber and nutrients. Also, they are easily turned into sugar in your system and don't take much to break them down. The more dietary fiber in your grains, the harder it is for your body to break it down and THAT benefits you in many ways. Do some research....if you post on here you are going to get many different perspectives, which is good to a point but becoming informed and making decisions based on what you feel is right for you is best.
  • Quisqueyana2013
    Quisqueyana2013 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    No one encouraged me to lose 8lbs in one week. It just happened when I gave up bread. I've always been a walker but tend to overdo bread items. Like another poster said--you give up bread, you are also giving up pizza, cookies, donuts, etc.

Please note that as I stated earlier, I am diabetic. There must be some hormonal response to wheat which explains the weight loss.

Just remember that weight loss is not one-size-fits-all. Giving up bread won't kill you so if you're curious, give it a try and see how you feel.
  • scottaworley
    Options
    No one encouraged me to lose 8lbs in one week. It just happened when I gave up bread and started walking.

It happened because you ate 21000 calories less than you should have in a week. Under the guidance of a dietician this should not have happened.
  • Quisqueyana2013
    Options
    I have no idea where you got that number. Either way, I edited my post to explain further. I have a pretty good idea of what happened to my body.
  • scottaworley
    Options
    I have no idea where you got that number. Either way, I edited my post to explain further. I have a pretty good idea of what happened to my body.

1 pound = 3500 calories. To lose 2 pounds in a week (accepted as a safe number) you have to have a deficit of 7000 calories. To lose 8 pounds in a week you have to have a deficit of 28000 calories. 28000 - 7000 = 21000.
    Math is how I got that number.
  • missmegan831
    missmegan831 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    I have given up bread, pizza dough, cereals, pastas... carbs basically... but because I am insulin resistant and was type 2 diabetic. Unless there is a medical reason that causes you problems like insulin/blood sugar spikes, tummy troubles, & the like there is no reason to 'give it up' IIFYM have a slice...maybe two :wink: :wink:
  • Quisqueyana2013
    Options
    Scottaworley:
    I don't care for your antagonistic replies. I respectfully stated an opinion and you are obviously out for a rude exchange. Pick someone else. I come here for support and respectful exchanges. And am not a huge believer of the "calories in/calories out" theory.
    Don't try to explain to me. I do my own research. You do you and I'll do me.

Good luck to you.
  • JuantonBliss
    JuantonBliss Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I just try to stick to rye break or pumpernickel and stay away from anything else. Also, instead of cutting out all grains, you could try gluten free alternative, or just find better versions of whatever you want to eat i.e. organic/vegan pastas, etc.
  • scottaworley
    Options
    I don't like science either.
  • jojo86xdd
    jojo86xdd Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I eat bread every single day (whole grain). My hormones like it just fine. :)
  • mymaggielove
    mymaggielove Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    My cousin basically gave up everything white, bread, sugar, flour, potatoes, etc. He lost 50+ pounds in about 6 months!
  • jayjay12345654321
    jayjay12345654321 Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    I quit eating refined everything. My choice. I've lost 20 lbs in 5 weeks, and that's after a slow 10 lbs over 2 months prior to cutting out refined and processed foods. I eat clean and natural, feel great, don't count calories, and eat whenever I want. I'm very pleased with how I feel. Just do what's right for you. It might take some trial and error to find what works. We're all made differently so our bodies react differently.
  • MoreBean13
    Options
    I quit eating refined everything. My choice. I've lost 20 lbs in 5 weeks, and that's after a slow 10 lbs over 2 months prior to cutting out refined and processed foods. I eat clean and natural, feel great, don't count calories, and eat whenever I want. I'm very pleased with how I feel. Just do what's right for you. It might take some trial and error to find what works. We're all made differently so our bodies react differently.

:flowerforyou:
  • babyluthi
    babyluthi Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    No one encouraged me to lose 8lbs in one week. It just happened when I gave up bread and started walking.

It happened because you ate 21000 calories less than you should have in a week. Under the guidance of a dietician this should not have happened.

Unfair comment. Lots of people lost a lot of weight in the first week. It is called water weight.