Cuttings Carbs

Options
I am addicted to carbs. It’s a really bad problem. As a vegetarian I feel I justify the carbs since I am not eating meat. This has lead to some gradual weight gain. Any go to filling foods that seem to fill this void? Is some carbs occasionally okay? I am not interested in the Keto Diet as I have studied it and as a vegetarian would be difficult.

Replies

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with carbs. I ate 200+g daily while losing weight, and continue to do so in maintenance.

If you are gradually gaining weight it means you are eating a few too many calories. Start logging accurately and consistently, use a food scale as often as possible, double check that the entries you are using have accurate calories, and hit your calorie deficit. Make an effort to eat enough protein, fat, and fibet, for health and satiety.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    You’re gradually gaining weight because of too many calories. Are you logging your foods on MFP? See if you can make small changes your intake.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Vegetarianism is going to be really challenging if you feel that you shouldn't eat carbohydrates.

You don't need to "justify" eating carbohydrates and your weight gain is due to the amount of calories you're consuming, not due to eating carbohydrates (although some of those calories may come from carbohydrates). The only real problem with eating carbohydrates is if they're keeping you from meeting your needs for protein and fat.

So the things to look at: Are you getting enough protein and fat? Are there good ways to reduce your portion sizes so you can be eating the right amount of calories for your body weight? Can you swap out some of the carbohydrates that are less filling for you for some that are more filling?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,906 Member
    Options
    brittlb07 wrote: »
    I am addicted to carbs. It’s a really bad problem. As a vegetarian I feel I justify the carbs since I am not eating meat. This has lead to some gradual weight gain. Any go to filling foods that seem to fill this void? Is some carbs occasionally okay? I am not interested in the Keto Diet as I have studied it and as a vegetarian would be difficult.

Doesn't look like you answered any of the responses on your similar thread: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10715582/vegetarians-losing-weight/p1
  • Maidapt
    Maidapt Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »

You might want to do a little more research. Sugar is a subset of carbs, as is fiber.

You said it yourself. Sugar is A TYPE of carb. Simple carbs are sugar. Complex carbs are starches.
  • Maidapt
    Maidapt Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    What about... green VEGETABLES? Your list is arbitrary. And your distinction between bananas and brown rice doesn't work. Sorry.

huh? I never said the list was exhaustive. I literally said "to say a few". So, yeah... of course vegetables are amazing. That goes without saying.
    Also, what's the problem with the distinction? You can criticize my comment but at least explain why. Otherwise it's useless criticism.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    brittlb07 wrote: »

There's nothing wrong with carbs...I eat all kinds of carbs...fruit, veg, legumes, lentils, oats, root vegetables, pasta, rice, etc...there's nothing wrong with any of that.