Can someone help me figure my Max Heart Rate

Options
I ran on a treadmill this morning. I ran at a pace that got my heart rate to 140. I ran three laps then I ran a lap at 8.0 mph. My heart rate went to 165. I ran three more laps at 5.8 mph and my heart rate dropped to 141. I ran another lap at 8.0 mph and my heart rate jumped to 166. I then ran two laps at 5.8 and my heart rate dropped to 149, then another lap at 8.0 and the heart rate hit 168. I ran two more laps at 5.8 and then ran at 8.2 mph until my heart rate hit 180. This took just over two laps. So here is my question? What should I set as my max HR to? I am 55 with absolutely no health issues (full physical last month). I have been running for 11 years off and on, seriously for 6 months. I have lost 33 lbs since I started. I am 5' 10" and 185 lbs. My v02 Max is 46 according to my Garmin 235 watch. Even though my HR hit 180 I don't think I had to stop, just didn't want to push any harder. I continued to run at 5.8 mph for a few more laps. This was all done on an empty stomach also. Thanks for any input.

Replies

• tirowow12385
    tirowow12385 Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    I went up to 160 on the elliptical, was nauseous the next two days, my heart did not like it.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    What does the Garmin report show for Max Heart Rate? At 53 the 220-age doesn't seem to work for me as my 12 month average max HR is 181 and I see a couple of 200. I've set mine to 180. My v02 max is 45, so same range.

I've got a Fenix 3.
  • twatson4936
    twatson4936 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Where would I see the Garmin report? Currently Garmin is setting the default 220-55 or 165. With it set like this it gives some really long recovery times, like 60 plus hours. I think I'll try 180 for now. Thanks
  • twatson4936
    Options
    You have to be careful not to push too hard. That's why I stopped at 180 even though I felt like I could go on. Everyone is different. That's why I did this test to see what the HR got up to. I currently feel great.
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,034 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Many coaches, trainers and athletes rely on this method for determining max heart rate.

https://philmaffetone.com/180-formula/

Edit: This link is for max training heart rate, not actual max heart rate. Sorry for the confusion.
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    Go to your Garmin Connect web site and click on reports. Then select max heart rate. Then select 12 months at the top right. Hover over each blue dot until you find your highest max heart rate. That is probably fairly close to your true max heart rate.

A member on another forum who is an ultra runner told me to do that and then add 5 BPM to that number. He said that no one can actually reach their true max heart rate.
  • OldAssDude
    Options
    You have to be careful not to push too hard. That's why I stopped at 180 even though I felt like I could go on. Everyone is different. That's why I did this test to see what the HR got up to. I currently feel great.

I don't think there is any danger in trying to hit your max heart rate (unless you have a heart condition). The worst that can happen is you may pass out before you get there.

I do run intervals some times and on the run interval I try to hit my MHR each time.
  • twatson4936
    Options
    Thanks OldAssdude, it says 186 average for last 6 months.
  • OldAssDude
    edited January 2019
    Options

That is the average. What is the highest number though?

If you hover your mouse over each blue dot it will tell you the heart rate. Pick the highest one.
  • twatson4936
    Options
    OldAssDude wrote: »

If you hover your mouse over each blue dot it will tell you the heart rate. Pick the highest one.

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Many coaches, trainers and athletes rely on this method for determining max heart rate.

that link isn't talking about the same max heart rate as OP.
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,034 Member
    Options

that link isn't talking about the same max heart rate as OP.

I was thinking he wanted max training heart rate. My mistake.
  • twatson4936
    Options

Yes, I do tend to exercise mostly around this range, maybe a little higher. I'm just trying to get my max HR set on my Garmin watch so it correctly calculates the HR zones and also so it correctly calculates my recovery period. No one should over train and I have found it cause me issues so I am very careful.
  • OldAssDude
    Options

Ok. Now you have to find the workout that gave you that number and try to determine if it was a valid number or not. Sometimes heart rate monitors spike, so find the workout and look at the heart rate graph and try to remember how hard you worked during that workout. If it seems valid to you, then you can use that number. If not, find the next highest number on the report and do the same thing.
  • twatson4936
    Options

Ok. Now you have to find the workout that gave you that number and try to determine if it was a valid number or not. Sometimes heart rate monitors spike, so find the workout and look at the heart rate graph and try to remember how hard you worked during that workout. If it seems valid to you, then you can use that number. If not, find the next highest number on the report and do the same thing.

Thanks for the help. I looked at all the blue dots for the last year. Most are 186 - 187, but last months average went up to 189. Todays workout shows a spike to 197, but is 187 on either side of the spike. I think I'll set my max to 186. Sound good?
  • OldAssDude
    Options

Thanks for the help. I looked at all the blue dots for the last year. Most are 186 - 187, but last months average went up to 189. Todays workout shows a spike to 197, but is 187 on either side of the spike. I think I'll set my max to 186. Sound good?

Sounds good to me. You can always adjust as needed. If you ever hit a higher heart rate that is a valid reading, you can always change it.
  • twatson4936
    Options
    y8r89k038ozt.png

Picture of todays workout
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    Only way to really measure it is to run a max exertion test (that is, push yourself to max effort and then see what your heart rate is). Your Garmin might actually have the functionality included but you'll need a chest strap to run it. I think its similar to what you did, but maybe a little more structured.

186 seems like a really high average considering the numbers you stated in your original post? Are you running at 10/10ths every single session or something?

• twatson4936
    Options
    DX2JX2 wrote: »
    Only way to really measure it is to run a max exertion test (that is, push yourself to max effort and then see what your heart rate is). Your Garmin might actually have the functionality included but you'll need a chest strap to run it. I think its similar to what you did, but maybe a little more structured.

186 seems like a really high average considering the numbers you stated in your original post? Are you running at 10/10ths every single session or something?

I run 5 days per week. I run a tempo run on Tuesday, average HR is low 150s, an easy run on Wednesday, average HR is mid 140s, interval run on Thursday, average HR is still low 140's with spikes up into 180s, tempo run on Saturdays, average HR low 150s and then a long slow run on Sundays, HR averages 140s. Based on this I think the Garmin report is showing the max I reached for each month, not an average. Since I am routinely hitting 186-187 and sometimes higher with no ill effects then I think its safe to follow the advice I have received here.

Thanks for all your replies.
  • twatson4936
    Options
    Just for fun, here is my max HR report for the last 12 months:

abj95r0liheu.png