Best Supplements - what do you think?

Options
ee2368
ee2368 Posts: 86 Member
I’m wanting to learn more about pre- and post-workout supplements. Any advice?

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Most all of them are bro-science woo and unnecessary. What more do you want to know?
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    coffee
  • quiksylver296
    Options
    coffee

*fistbump
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Unless you are doing some serious training and have trouble getting through those workouts or getting through the rest of your day after, they are pretty much unnecessary and often a waste of calories. I know plenty of people who were eating back just about every exercise calorie they burned with pre and post workout products!

If you need some extra energy to get going, caffeine is the ingredient you need. I'll have a cup of coffee or a diet soda personally. Then try to get enough protein throughout the day for recovery and muscle repair. Most recommendations I see here is to aim for 0.6-0.8g of protein per lb of your goal body weight.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    coffee

Unless you are consuming multiple cups preworkout, it won't be sufficient to provide adequate benefit. Same with sodas. 95mg is a typical caffeine dosage of both, and that is really underdosed compared to the literature.
  • L1zardQueen
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    coffee

Unless you are consuming multiple cups preworkout, it won't be sufficient to provide adequate benefit. Same with sodas. 95mg is a typical caffeine dosage of both, and that is really underdosed compared to the literature.

I am consuming multiple cups and yes, I have lots of energy. Otherwise, I would feel sluggish. I don't need the extra calories from pre-workout supplements.
  • quiksylver296
    Options
    coffee

I am consuming multiple cups and yes, I have lots of energy. Otherwise, I would feel sluggish. I don't need the extra calories from pre-workout supplements.

That's when I kick over to Monster Ultra Zero!
  • psuLemon
    Options
    coffee

What i am saying, you would have to have multiple cups pre workout (like shortly before), not throughout the day. This doesn't take into consideration that chronic consumption of caffeine lowers your bodies sensitivity to the dosage. So this would raise your bodies requirement of caffeine to have a noticeable impact on performance and/or fat burning.

https://examine.com/supplements/caffeine/
  • L1zardQueen
    Options
    coffee

Are those good? Some are nasty tasting to me.
  • quiksylver296
    Options
    coffee

I only like the Ultra Zero (the white one).
  • L1zardQueen
    Options
    coffee

What i am saying, you would have to have multiple cups pre workout (like shortly before), not throughout the day. This doesn't take into consideration that chronic consumption of caffeine lowers your bodies sensitivity to the dosage. So this would raise your bodies requirement of caffeine to have a noticeable impact on performance and/or fat burning.

Ah, gotcha. I was trying to suggest to the OP that a good cup coffee is a cheaper option, but maybe I don't understand the other ingredients which make pre-workouts a better option.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    coffee

Ah, gotcha. I was trying to suggest to the OP that a good cup coffee is a cheaper option, but maybe I don't understand the other ingredients which make pre-workouts a better option.

My point is that unless the OP is super sensitive to caffeine (like my wife), a normal cup won't provide much, if any, benefit. It's why preworkouts have 200-500mg and supposed to be only consumed on workout days (generally lifting ones). So they would only consume those levels of caffeine on the workout days.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    coffee

I will freely admit it could be a placebo effect for me. But I think you also have to consider what type of workout, right? So many people have been marketed to, to the point they assume they need something every time they do any kind of exercise. I drink one cup of coffee on rest days in the AM, and a second cup before a workout. Maybe I'm extra sensitive to caffeine. I'm also probably doing pretty run of the mill, wimpy workouts compared to others.

I wouldn't think the typical resolutioner needs more than a little caffeine to wake them up before they spend some time at the weight machines and on the treadmill, at least that's what I've been led to believe. If that's not OP, and she's doing some serious training, then my answer is probably less helpful :blush:
  • L1zardQueen
    Options
    coffee

My point is that unless the OP is super sensitive to caffeine (like my wife), a normal cup won't provide much, if any, benefit. It's why preworkouts have 200-500mg and supposed to be only consumed on workout days (generally lifting ones). So they would only consume those levels of caffeine on the workout days.

Did you read her other OP? https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10716014/false-guilt-when-buying-healthy-stuff#latest
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,217 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    coffee

I only like the Ultra Zero (the white one).

Off-topic but there are zero calorie Monsters in other flavors. I thought it was only the white for the longest time but stopped on a road trip and saw the other flavors of zero cal so I tried a few.
    - Ultra Red - all red can, reminds me of Mtn Dew Code Red from back in the day.
    - Ultra Blue - all blue can, best way to describe it is that it tastes blue, much like a blue powerade
    - Ultra Black - Black can, red accents, black cherry flavor, highly recommend.
    - There are also Ultra Orange and Ultra Purple which I have not tried. I imagine they're similar to orange and purple Fanta both coming from the Coke umbrella.

Nothing to add on supplements after Psulemon laid everything out there well (per usual).

I've tried a few over the years and respond to some better than others. Currently, I use MyProtein MyPre V2, decent dose of beta-alanine, caffiene, and some b-vitamins. Enough to get me going at 5am without supercharging my system, decently cheap, and only 5 cals/serving. I mix it with 5g of creatine and hit it. My favorite is Pre Jym in black cherry but it's pricey and some days hits a little too hard for my liking. Mr. Hyde isn't terrible either. One I would stay away from is Muscle Pharm's Combat. I picked up a few tubs on mega-clearance at GNC at one point and regretted it; mixed and tasted terrible, made me feel off, and had other undesirable bathroom-related effects.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    coffee

I will freely admit it could be a placebo effect for me. But I think you also have to consider what type of workout, right? So many people have been marketed to, to the point they assume they need something every time they do any kind of exercise. I drink one cup of coffee on rest days in the AM, and a second cup before a workout. Maybe I'm extra sensitive to caffeine. I'm also probably doing pretty run of the mill, wimpy workouts compared to others.

I wouldn't think the typical resolutioner needs more than a little caffeine to wake them up before they spend some time at the weight machines and on the treadmill, at least that's what I've been led to believe. If that's not OP, and she's doing some serious training, then my answer is probably less helpful :blush:

Sure, there can be some differences, especially when discussing helping wake up vs maximal exercise performance gain.
  • psuLemon
    edited January 2019
    Options
    coffee

Did you read her other OP? https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10716014/false-guilt-when-buying-healthy-stuff#latest

Nope. But that is something a person would have to addresss. Its cost vs benefit. But believe it or not, the placebo effect of supplementation can be fairly high. I see it often at my gym with BCAAs and recovery. And believe it or not, buying for placebo power and even accountability might be a few reasons to buy