Dyspraxia: where the clumsy kids are

yirara
yirara Posts: 9,860 Member
Surely I can't be the only one, right? Are there more people either with dyspraxia, or those that are generally just very clumsy and that enjoy working out regardless of cruises or looking silly? Give me a shout! <3

Replies

• mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,069 Member
    I don’t have dyspraxia, but I could probably join the clumsy/accident prone club. I had 3 fractures last year due to weird accidents.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    My brother probably is, and I am only slightly more lucky, rather than being more coordinated. However, he was enrolled in gymnastics for a while and it helped him survive childhood, then took up sword fighting, so he must have figured out something.

I found that when I was forced to take modern dance in college, then later when I found dance styles that I enjoyed, I really did learn the relative position of all my body parts and now I have even been called graceful by some. Not, like, regularly or anything, but it has been known to happen. With consistency in a given sport, I can even resemble a person with hand eye coordination, but it doesn't carry over into any other sport or activities.
  • nooie19
    nooie19 Posts: 153 Member
    Nope. No dyspraxia that I know of, but I sam very clumsy. Especially dance and aerobics. I have yet to figure out the electric slide. So I tend to gravitate towards walking, stationary bike, and jogging because there’s no tricky moves. However, at age 50 I have also learned to not care what I looke like. I did Oula class last year. I couldn’t get half the moves right ut my heart rate went up so who cares?
  • mackfoo
    mackfoo Posts: 28 Member
    I only know what dyspraxia is because I watch Doctor Who.

I just found out myself. How clumsy do you have to be to qualify?
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    I have motor coordination issues. Not enough to be considered disabling, but enough to make my phys. ed. classes instruments of torture and leave with with an aversion to team sports. I'd see myself in the mirror in a dance or fitness class and, well, the phrase "bear lumbering among the sylphs" is a pretty apt descriptor.

So nowadays, I walk; I strength train with dumbbells (don't trust myself with barbells without a spotter and, at this time last year, the heaviest thing I was lifting was a pair of 15s, so whether I could've lifted a bar with no weight plates is debatable), and I got up the nerve to run a 5K last summer and did pretty darn well for a woman in my mid-forties.

But you will have to pay me something in the high five figures to get me in a zumba class.
  • yirara
    I have motor coordination issues. Not enough to be considered disabling, but enough to make my phys. ed. classes instruments of torture and leave with with an aversion to team sports. I'd see myself in the mirror in a dance or fitness class and, well, the phrase "bear lumbering among the sylphs" is a pretty apt descriptor.

So nowadays, I walk; I strength train with dumbbells (don't trust myself with barbells without a spotter and, at this time last year, the heaviest thing I was lifting was a pair of 15s, so whether I could've lifted a bar with no weight plates is debatable), and I got up the nerve to run a 5K last summer and did pretty darn well for a woman in my mid-forties.

But you will have to pay me something in the high five figures to get me in a zumba class.

Oh yeah. I still hate team sports, and tried things such as ballet for adults and bikram yoga in the past. It was a catastrophy! Dark, sparkling or small patterned stair cases confuse my eyes. And I had a rather embarrassing moment at a small indoor festival earlier this year. It started with a small band playing on a stage, and then a drumband marched through the room a few times, split up and formed a square in front of the stage. I got so confused by the movements and glittering instruments that I nearly ran into the band by trying to avoid it, and ended up inside that square. :s The sound was great, mind. But it was not the kind of attention I was looking forward to. :#
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    At any given time, I have at least a half a dozen bruises in various stages of healing. Corners on furniture are my bane.

It had gotten better for while when I used to go figure skating and fencing (you can imagine the amount of bruising when I was starting out), but when I had to stop because of an injury (and slipped into depression and ate myself to a BMI of 40), it's gotten worse again.

So, right now (back down to BMi 30), I only do bodyweight exercises / some weighlifting and walk. It's slowly improving again, but furniture corners are still my bane.

I'll always carry a flashlight in my purse in case I need to walk around after dusk. I'll take a longer path if it's properly lighted (as opposed to the shorter, darker one). I'll be paralyzed if I have to walk over uneven ground in the dark (I have a flashlight stashed in my car now since our drive way is currently unpaved with no improvement in the near future and the light is broken).
  • yirara
    edited January 2019
    ladyreva78 wrote: »
    At any given time, I have at least a half a dozen bruises in various stages of healing. Corners on furniture are my bane.

Oh yes! My sofa is so naughty: I walk a huge circle around it but it still jumps into my path to make me trip, and I get yet another bruise for my very extensive collection. :* Doesn't help that I bruise very easily. :(

I bought a second hand racebike over the weekend. I'd tested a few ones to see what works for me, and always felt extremely wobbly. This one has a much wider than normal handlebar, because the owner said she finds it difficult to keep the balance. I for once didn't feel wobbly, and bought it :D I know that person though and know she's as clumsy as me.
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    yirara wrote: »
    ladyreva78 wrote: »

Oh yes! My sofa is so naughty: I walk a huge circle around it but it still jumps into my path to make me trip, and I get yet another bruise for my very extensive collection. :* Doesn't help that I bruise very easily. :(

I bought a second hand racebike over the weekend. I'd tested a few ones to see what works for me, and always felt extremely wobbly. This one has a much wider than normal handlebar, because the owner said she finds it difficult to keep the balance. I for once didn't feel wobbly, and bought it :D I know that person though and know she's as clumsy as me.

My bed frame will jump clear across the room just so I can bump into the sharp corner. :grumble:

I gave up trying to bike. Too dangerous for me and other road participants. Not to mention some little piece of *kitten* stole my bike. It's all good though, the insurance paid up and I invested the money in some sturdy hiking boots for my morning walk to the bus stop (over dirt tracks in one place). Oddly enough, I stumble a lot less, even if they are not particular pretty shoes. :tongue:
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,281 Member
    edited January 2019
    OMG, maybe that's what's wrong with me?? I walk into doorways or my freaking bedframe, or BARELY open pocket doors... When I was pregnant, I was a disaster. This is why I stay off treadmills if possible. It's a little better since I started working hard on my core muscles, but dang.

ETA: Just looked it up. It's not me. I just have an uncanny ability to walk into things that are physically out of my way :(
  • yirara
    OMG, maybe that's what's wrong with me?? I walk into doorways or my freaking bedframe, or BARELY open pocket doors... When I was pregnant, I was a disaster. This is why I stay off treadmills if possible. It's a little better since I started working hard on my core muscles, but dang.

ETA: Just looked it up. It's not me. I just have an uncanny ability to walk into things that are physically out of my way :(

Don't worry. You're welcome here. A clear diagnosis in adults is difficult anyway due to coping strategies. I'm very likely dyspraxic, but no doc can say with certainty.

Uh, just did a sleeping crab exercise. Lay on back, situp, lift on right hand and left food, lift the other two up, rinse and repeat. Then the other side. I've not managed to sort out my lefts and rights at all.
  • AutumLeaf
    AutumLeaf Posts: 126 Member
    Hi ☺️ I have dyspraxia too. Found out at when I was 21 when I was having an assessment for dyslexia. Now looking back that it's painfully obvious I have dyspraxia. My brother was diagnosed with dyslexia and dyspraxia very long but it was unnoticed with me.
    But I don't enjoy working out. I'm trying to though. School was torture, knowing something was different about me but had no idea what. Spent a lot of time in detention for refusing to do PE lol. I've never been able to run because of dyspraxia, even just fast walking I've sprained my ankles. What type of work outs do you enjoy doing @yirara ? I've just started Pilates again which I sometimes find hard, especially when having to make one leg one way and an arm to the other way.

I made a post about dyspraxia tonight - https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10727449/anyone-on-here-with-dyspraxia-or-any-other-neurological-conditions-that-affect-movement#latest so shoutout to the person who pointed me to this thread ☺️