Anyone on here with dyspraxia/ or any other neurological conditions that affect movement?

Options
AutumLeaf
AutumLeaf Posts: 126 Member
edited February 2019 in Motivation and Support
It's a condition that affects things from coordination, gross and fine motor skills, weak muscle tone ect.
Because of this exercise has been hell to me and PE in school was torture so I spent a lot of time in detention for refusing to do it (didn't bother me because I was a massive book worm so it gave me some peace and quiet to read lol). I didn't know I had it until I was 21 and I'm still learning to get to grips with it. It feels like you're telling your body to do Y but it comes out with X. The brain sends the wrong signals for example when i try to run or even jog my arms don't move properly, I can't throw or catch balls properly. I could write a never ending essay of how it affects me but I don't want to bore you. In a nutshell it's a very frustrating condition which makes me feel like I have no control over my body. You're born with it and there's no cure.

It would be great to meet others like me who are trying to getter fitter despite massive barriers.

If you'd like to learn about dyspraxia here's a good link to the massive list of how it affects people http://dyspraxiafoundation.org.uk/dyspraxia-adults/

Replies

• amyrosec50
    amyrosec50 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have Neuropathy from chemo 22 years ago. The pain is horrible, it kept me from exercise for many years. I now have type 2 Diabetes, Chronic Kidney Disease and COPD being the major health conditions I now have. I haven't been able to exercise the past week because of activity restriction because my blood sugar. It seems that when I fight to get back to a healthy weight something pops up to keep me from doing so.

Autumn that has to be very frustrating.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Here is a post from January by @yirara you may find interesting.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10716468/dyspraxia-where-the-clumsy-kids-are

Cheers, h.
  • wmweeza
    wmweeza Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I have Cerebral Palsy, though thankfully not a horrible case of it. I use a walker/wheelchair outside of the house, but manage fine inside my home on my own
  • AutumLeaf
    AutumLeaf Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    @amyrosec50 that sounds really debilitating. By just wanting to get healthy even though you have a lot of hurdles, that's the main thing. It will make victory even sweeter. You're on the right track, even if you're not seeing the results you want just yet. Whilst you are currently unable to exercise, I hope you're not too hard on yourself.

@middlehaitch thank you so much for the link, appreciate it 😊.

@wmweeza I have a friend who's twin has Celebral palsy and when I was explaining my condition to her she thought it was like celebral palsy however (please correct me if I'm wrong) I think CP is to do with muscles whereas dyspraxia is to do with the coordination part of the isnt developed properly so the body gets really confused easily (my experience anyway) like I'll drop things for no reason. My partner has said he's seen my hand let go of things but it doesn't feel like I have, my hand has just done it without me wanting it or knowing it, if that makes sense. Is there a workout you enjoy doing?
  • wmweeza
    Options
    Well it's similar and completely different. I have coordination issues but they are more constant, for example I can't coordinate my left and right hands. I fall over easily. My feet are all kinds of messed up...lol

As far as workouts, I like walking, swimming, and weight lifting. I'd rather poke my eyes out then do aerobics. I would bike but I'd need a trike style bike and there are no bike trails here (the roads here are too dangerous to cycle)
  • wmweeza
    Options
    Oh...and I love Hiking but haven't done it in years
  • HeliumIsNoble
    HeliumIsNoble Posts: 1,213 Member
    Options
    Me. Not dyspraxia, exactly, but a diagnosable issue with clumsiness and inability to catch balls that turned out to be neurological. I didn't find out until I was 18 though. On the minus side, in the absence of an official label, I'd generated my own labels for the issues I had, like "doesn't practise hard enough". So my teenage self-esteem=rock bottom.

On the plus side, by the time I did find out, I'd spent two years assuming that all I needed to do was put more effort in and I'd tried really hard to get better at being coordinated and graceful in martial arts, and it did pay off. Literally a case of "put in four times as much work as everyone else to be as good"!

I worry that if I'd known from the start that there was more to success than putting more effort in, I would have been too scared to sign up. I certainly wouldn't have been motivated to put in the amount of effort that I did.

Then my whole life might be different. *shrugs confusedly*
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,398 Member
    Options
    Anyone called me? :D
    Yeah, I keep on blundering through life. Funnily, I can pretty much depend on nothing happening when I hike up a mountain in complete solitude and with no phone signal. It's not that I don't do anything clumsy, but for most parts my impulses work well enough to prevent injury. I had so many freak accidents over my 45 years, but never really got injured. <3 Yes, broken toes, masses of bruises, rubbished ankles, but nothing serious. Like @HeliumIsNoble I never was able to catch balls. <3 And super embarrassment: going to a concert, dancing all evening thinking I look cool. Later I see that someone filmed a song or two, and I look ridiculous :*
  • kttyson
    kttyson Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I have POTS and a few other chronic illnesses/disabilities and could never predict when I’d be able to participate in PE etc either. I’m still a massive bookworm too.

It’s a constant struggle with knowing you need to move while also needing to make sure you don’t hurt yourself.