Kicking Starbucks Habit...

Options
911Nrs
911Nrs Posts: 42 Member
I had a daily SB habit of multiple Grande Vanilla Lattes with 7 pumps of syrup. I have decreased it to one tall skinny vanilla latte but the headaches are killing me as I cut down the caffeine. I have stomach ulcers so drinking straight black coffee isn't an option. How are others kicking this habit and dealing with the caffeine withdrawal?

Replies

• Tankiscool
    Tankiscool Posts: 11,105 Member
    Options
    When did you quit/get the headaches? If it was a day or so if it were me I'd just wait it out and go day by day. Pop some ibuprofen and continue on. At some point the withdrawal will go away. I mean there is caffeine pills you can buy, but why buy them if the symptoms will go away completely and risk using the pills as a crutch instead of an aid.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    I just stopped, straight up (my vice was Dunkin Donuts iced coffee). Granted, I now drink more Diet Coke than usual, but I'm consuming far less calories than I was having Dunks daily. You gotta work through the pain initially, but it'll get better. I now have it every now and then, and I can enjoy it without any adverse affects.
  • Redordeadhead
    Redordeadhead Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    Just having a coffee with skimmed milk is already considerably fewer calories than the ones with all the syrup. Perhaps you can switch to that and then gradually decrease?

I also get headaches from caffeine withdrawal and caffeine pills work for me.
  • Smacfit_
    Smacfit_ Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I love coffee and won't give it up! I limit myself to max 2 cups per day with some 1% milk. I too used to do the starbucks drinks with syrup etc but now I make my own. You will have headaches for a bit (I used to drink 6 plus coffees a day!) but once you are used to your new amount (one or two) they will go away. Maybe swing a coke zero or make some tea like green tea during the day too but if you really want to reduce you will just have to put up with maybe 10 days of headaches
    Best of luck!
  • witchaywoman81
    witchaywoman81 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I upgraded my coffee maker for Christmas, when my 8-year-old Keurig finally kicked the bucket. The new Keurig makes lattes and cappuccinos, only now I control exactly how many calories my drinks have, and I’m saving money by not going to Starbucks (which is really close to my house) every day.
  • zeejane03
    zeejane03 Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Have you considered caffeine tablets for a gradual taper?

This-they're pretty cheap and you can find them in the OTC medicine section of most grocery stores.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

At age 81, my mom is finding herself slowing down, and recently discovered caffeine tablets. (Coffee and tea aggravate her silent reflux.)
  • dblst10
    dblst10 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Tylenol every six hours around the clock for 7 days! Midol might help if you use 1 tab per day or less. I make my own lattes with PLAIN VANILLA EXTRACT and fat free half and half. Liquid stevia is you need it sweet! It adds up to 40 calories per serving rather than 500!
  • MarilynTC
    MarilynTC Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    OP, does your coffee have to be sweetened? I started from 3 @ 12 oz. mugs of coffee with a couple of ounces of 2% milk, so I cut that back to 2 mugs and now have only 1 most days (but dont have any maybe 2 days a week).
  • hroderick
    hroderick Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    lots of water and a few days to detox
  • FireOpalCO
    FireOpalCO Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Drink tea. I went cold turkey for a month (that sucked) but then started drinking hot tea. I even bought a decent electric kettle for work and keep a stash of tea bags and sugar packs at my desk. It is saving my lots of money and I always have access to another cup (instead of starting to have withdrawals, rushing out to by a coffee, and buying a bigger one then I really need. I do still buy the occasional tall non-fat latte.

I would say add some cups of tea to your afternoon routine to stop the afternoon caffeine crash.
  • 911Nrs
    911Nrs Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    MarilynTC wrote: »
    OP, does your coffee have to be sweetened? I started from 3 @ 12 oz. mugs of coffee with a couple of ounces of 2% milk, so I cut that back to 2 mugs and now have only 1 most days (but dont have any maybe 2 days a week).

I actually don't like the bitterness of straight coffee and because of stomach ulcers I need milk in it. I shouldn't be drinking coffee at all but again the HA stopped me from quitting. My goal is to come completely off to rid the 500 cal and finally stop irriatating my stomach.

AnnPT77 wrote: »
    -- I looked yesterday for some at the grocery store both in the section with the 5 hour energy drinks and the natural food section with no luck. Would Walgreens carry this and which section should I look?

I recently quit caffeine! I switched my order from a grande to a tall over the course of a week.
    --- I like this idea and will try this.

Thank you all for the GREAT ideas. Never thought to try caffeine pills and love your recipe ideas. Going to give these ideas a try.
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Options
    I second the suggestion to drink tea. Tea typically has less caffeine than coffee and may be easier on your stomach. You can add a little milk, sugar, honey, etc. to sweeten it if you like too.
  • placeboBL
    placeboBL Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Try a better coffee shop, and your Starbucks habit will be kicked in no time. 😀
  • MishMashMisha
    MishMashMisha Posts: 39 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    There is a low acid coffee brand out there, that are supposed to be easier on your stomach, if you don't want to give up coffee completely.

Had to google it. Puroast Low Acid Coffee is the one I was thinking of, but there are other brands.
    Source: https://www.drippedcoffee.com/best-low-acid-coffee/
  • Iamnotasenior
    Iamnotasenior Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Those syrups come in sugar free now. Torani makes a variety of caramel, vanilla, hazelnut, even smores flavored syrups with no sugar. A two tablespoon serving has zero calories. You can find them in your grocery store or online on Amazon. I keep a couple of bottles at home and in my desk drawer at work. I can get my Starbucks coffee black, dump a couple of "Mini-Moos" creamers in, some Truvia sweetener and a shot of caramel flavoring and my cup of coffee is less than 40 calories.
  • placeboBL
    placeboBL Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    There is a low acid coffee brand out there, that are supposed to be easier on your stomach, if you don't want to give up coffee completely.

Had to google it. Puroast Low Acid Coffee is the one I was thinking of, but there are other brands.
    Source: https://www.drippedcoffee.com/best-low-acid-coffee/

Starbucks’ cold brew would be much lower acid, as well. Add a little fat free/skim milk, and it’s very good (and low-calorie).