Is pork a bad idea for weight loss?

Options
2»

Replies

• missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Weight loss is all about eating less calories than your body burns. No matter the type of weight loss program you’re on. Either you are counting the calories yourself, or the calories are figured out for you by the plan you choose. It’s your choice how you spend your calories.
    I enjoy roasted pork, pork chops and pork carnitas. I make the carnitas in a crockpot. Great on tortillas, in wraps and on salads.

I love lamb, but it’s so expensive here that I only have it a few times per year.
  • StargazerB
    StargazerB Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    ahoy_m8 wrote: »
    Pork is a fantastic choice. Of course, like chicken, it all depends on how you prepare it.

Any suggestions out there on preparing it would be amazing! Thanks guys.

My favorite is a roasted pork tenderloin. Are you Pinterest? There are hundreds of recipes there.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    Well my husband smokes a pork loin and it's like the best thing ever. It is not quick though, it takes him like 2 hours so I won't share that recipe lol.

I also like doing pork fried rice
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    ahoy_m8 wrote: »
    Pork is a fantastic choice. Of course, like chicken, it all depends on how you prepare it.

Any suggestions out there on preparing it would be amazing! Thanks guys.

Hiya. Apologies for slow response. This is what I use for pulled pork shoulder. I have adapted the cooking method many ways (slow cooker, instapot pressure cooker, smoker), but I use the same Creole seasoning every time. Love it! I use about 1/4 cup seasoning for a 2-3lb cut (shoulder, aka Boston butt or just butt). If I buy a huge cut, I often freeze half & cook half.

We use it for tacos (with ancho roasted pecans & guacamole), cabbage rolls, salpicon, shepherds pie, "hot mess" (stuffed in a baked potato or sweet potato), pork hash (with fried grated potatoes and a poached egg), quesadillas/nachos. It also freezes beautifully in its own juice after cooking. Very tasty, very versatile.

Emeril's Original Recipe
    * 1 (5-pound) pork shoulder, bone-in ,untrimmed and not tied
    * Salt & Freshly ground black pepper
    * 1 cup Creole seasoning
    * 1/2 cup olive oil

Preheat the oven to 400F. Season all sides of the pork with salt and pepper. Combine the Creole seasoning and olive oil in a small bowl to make a paste. Rub the paste all over the pork. Place the pork, fat side up on a rack in a roasting pan. Roast the pork for 30 minutes. Reduce the heat to 250F and continue to cook for 6 1/2 hours. Remove from the oven and cool completely. Remove the meat from the pan and using two forks, shred all of the meat

For 3/4 cup creole seasoning
    * 2 1/2 tablespoons paprika
    * 2 tablespoons garlic powder
    * 2 tablespoons salt
    * 1 tablespoon black pepper
    * 1 tablespoon onion powder
    * 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper (too spicy for one family member, so I reduce)
    * 1 tablespoon dried oregano
    * 1 tablespoon dried thyme
    --using teaspoons instead of tablespoons will yield 1/4 cup. I usually skip the olive oil paste and just rub on seasoning.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    For pork tenderloin or crown roast, try this -- https://www.marthastewart.com/314427/crown-roast
    Delicious! We do posole and the same pork tacos as above with leftovers. Mmmmm.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Hey guys! I've just gotten back on the weight loss wagon. My problem is that I do not like seafood, and have moved to New Zealand where they generally don't sell turkey. This basically leaves me with chicken, chicken, and more chicken. Is it a bad idea to incorporate pork into my diet a few times a week with dinner? I'm desperate for other options but I dont want to hinder my progress. If there are other suggestions for better options please let me know:)

Weight management is about calories, not what kind of meat you're eating. You can also eat beef...there are plenty of lean cuts. I also like lamb.