Calorie Counter

You are currently viewing the message boards in:

Appetite stimulants anyone?

upgradedversionupgradedversion Posts: 6Member Member Posts: 6Member Member
Anyone taking appetite stimulants to open your appetite and help you eat more.
I’m on a mission to gain weight and being a picky eater doesn’t really help my situation.
I need to know if you’ve tried something what were the results and was it worth it.
Please leave details.
Xoxo

Replies

• sealerersealerer Posts: 1Member Member Posts: 1Member Member
    I've tried some appetite stimulant pills for a while, i can say that they dont havs any effect whatsoever.
    If you dont eat much per meal try eating many smaller meals spread out over the day.
  • quiksylver296quiksylver296 Posts: 21,942Member Member Posts: 21,942Member Member
    Caffeine can be an appetite suppressant so maybe cut the caffeine if you drink a lot?
  • upgradedversionupgradedversion Posts: 6Member Member Posts: 6Member Member
    Tankiscool wrote: »
    Munchies and weed go hand in hand so there's that? That's about all I know.
    Thanks for the advice, but no drugs plz!🤨🤨
    edited January 8
  • upgradedversionupgradedversion Posts: 6Member Member Posts: 6Member Member
    Caffeine can be an appetite suppressant so maybe cut the caffeine if you drink a lot?
    One cup per day, that’s it! If I don’t have my coffee I’m walking miserable zombie lol. Can’t have the kids living with that now lol
  • jgnatcajgnatca Posts: 14,299Member Member Posts: 14,299Member Member
    Well if drugs are off the table what is left is food.

Make a list of foods you find appealing. Stock your fridge and pantry and carry the sturdier food items with you at all times.

You might also try making up a protein shake with extra oil blended up to sip on through the day.

I agree with another poster to eat small meals frequently throughout the day.
  • jgnatcajgnatca Posts: 14,299Member Member Posts: 14,299Member Member
    Caffeine is a stimulant drug and may be interfering with your goals.

Caffeine works by encouraging the release of adrenaline.

https://science.howstuffworks.com/caffeine4.htm

What follows is a “downer” when the adrenaline is used up. You end up chasing the high with another shot of caffeine.

But you will never get the same high as that first shot of caffeine.

If you can tolerate two weeks of misery without caffeine you will have your natural energy reserves restored.

https://bebrainfit.com/caffeine-addiction-withdrawal/
  • kymbaleabkymbaleab Posts: 1Member, Premium Member Posts: 1Member, Premium Member
    Instead of stimulants you could always have food you like readily available. That way you have no excuse not to eat it and you can set reminders on your phone to have a snack. Do some research and discover which of your favourite foods are high in nutrients and kilojoules!
  • Keto_VampireKeto_Vampire Posts: 932Member Member Posts: 932Member Member
    Appetite stimulating "drugs"/medications: cyproheptadine (1st gen antihistamine, anticholinergic, serotonin antagonist) - generally only used in failure to thrive, premature infants with nutritional support supplements. 2nd Line: Megestrol Acetate (progestin, more commonly used in frail elderly, has thrombosis risk/DVT/PE, etc. just as other progestins). 3rd Line: Dronabinol (THC derivative, really reserved for those undergoing chemo therapy to ameliorate nausea/vomitting symptoms from chemo). 4th Line: Oxandrolone - niche use in HIV wasting

I would strongly suggest just trying to incorporate more calorie dense foods 1st (ones that you enjoy) that are on the liquid/less solid side before thinking about drugs - they always have both pros & cons, even the mild ones like cyproheptadine (PERIACTIN) - sedation, drying of secretions, urinary retention, blurred vision, tachycardia, constipation, confusion, weight gain (although tolerance does develop to some of the side effects with consistent use)

"drug" = 4 letter word...corrected...medication
    edited January 9