Thoughts on eating 800 calories a day?

Options

Replies

• YvetteK2015
    YvetteK2015 Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    'It combines all the latest thinking about the health benefits of kick-starting your diet with a fast-track 800 calories a day for a few days, weeks or months, followed by a steady — and now much more manageable — 5:2, which allows 800 calories on fast days and healthy eating the rest of the week."

I see it now. You starve yourself on 800 calories for a period of time, THEN you get a reasonable 5:2 plan lol.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I've only known one person who did an 800 cal/day diet and that was under medical supervision as part of treating issues beyond just being overweight. I would not choose that route. I do sometimes have days that low, but not lots of them and generally only due to illness or something of that nature.
  • zeejane03
    zeejane03 Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    vickygalo wrote: »
    I apologize in advance! I’m not promoting 800 calories a day. I just read this intermittent fasting article and it mentioned doing 5 days regular eating, 2 days 800 calories so I thought I would ask.

That would be 5:2IF and is generally accepted as an ok plan to follow. The key though is making sure you have those higher calorie days mixed in with the lower calorie days. Mosley started out promoting that but has now gone down the path of promoting very low calorie days for consecutive days, for longer periods of time. That's completely different than 5:2IF.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Thoughts, I wouldn't make it one day. Not even doing 5:2 method sadly.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    If you are eating 800 calories one or two days a week, and using the saved calories to eat more on the remaining days, that can be an effective strategy, often called 5:2 intermittent fasting. It's generally safe as long as your weekly calorie total is not an overly aggressive deficit. Some people might still have a problem eating that low even for one day, especially anyone with blood sugar issues, so YMMV. Eating too little one day would cause me to overeat like a lunatic the next, but it works for some people's appetite.

Eating 800 cals every day is not safe and should only be done under a doctor's guidance in an extreme situation. It still has it's dangers, which is why you would need to be monitored by a doctor to ensure any dangers are caught early. It would no doubt also require supplementation (again, doctor prescribed) to avoid malnutrition. In general, it's a great way to swap one unhealthy situation (excess fat, obesity related diseases) for another (malnutrition, muscle wasting, hormonal issues, EDs).
  • JustaJoe00
    JustaJoe00 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    It is pretty amazing how the human body works. And i'll say it again, not everyone is the same. Sounds like a pretty tough program for most people. Those of us that live in countries where food is readily available are so trained to just eat when and where we want that even missing a day of food makes us want to eat our spouses...per some of the previous posters...funny but goes to show really how much eating is really a mental thing for us now. We don't eat to survive we just eat and its habit. Where am i going with this? I don't know, but it sure made me think...
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    vickygalo wrote: »
    Kalex1975 wrote: »
    Actually, it’s been proven that 800 a day is a very successful and motivating way to lose weight and improve health. Check out Michael Mosley’s Fast 800, all the info is there. I am doing it and it’s great.

Isn't VLCD promotion against community guidelines?

What’s VLCD?

Very low calorie diet. Against the TOS.

What's TOS?

This is why I don't go on forums. People don't use words and then just expect you to know what they mean.

I agree it would have been more helpful if the words Community Guidelines were used and a link provided. So here you go: https://myfitnesspal.com/welcome/guidelines

The relevant guideline is # 6.

Community Guidelines are also referenced in a sticky in the Getting Started forum. https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10041081/welcome-to-the-myfitnesspal-community#latest

A tip for better foruming experiences - read stickies and get the lay of the land before posting.

Hard to link on mobile phones and that term is broadly used so I don't see the difference.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    yirara wrote: »
    Anyone else finds it strange that so many 1 post people show up here to say how great this is?

I was curious about this as well.

That happens a lot throughout MFP I think
  • duskyjewel
    duskyjewel Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    DON'T

That's my thought. Unless you want to end up like Karen Carpenter. (Man, am I showing my age with that reference.)
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Actually, it’s been proven that 800 a day is a very successful and motivating way to lose weight and improve health. Check out Michael Mosley’s Fast 800, all the info is there. I am doing it and it’s great.

Aaah - Michael Mosley's "diet of the month".......yeah, I'm sure he's making a ton of money. Mosely doesn't actual Prove anything in his multiple diet books. Look closer, there aren't scientific studies. Just he said, she said.

OP - do you want to lower your body fat %, or do you just want a certain number on the scale? Because a very aggressive weight loss plan will help you lose lots of lean muscle mass.

Very low calorie diets are only recommended for the very obese (they don't lose muscle initially) and are medically supervised with vitamin injections (more effective than pills) and check-ups.

Please when your hair starts to fall out, take that as a sign you aren't eating enough. This is a dangerous practice.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Don't
This discussion has been closed.