60 yrs and up

Options

Replies

• MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    ksquacker wrote: »
    Hello Again, I originally signed up last year but didn't post anything after that. since then I have lost 78 lbs, not in a wheelchair anymore, still on Oxygen for COPD (keeps me kickin'), I use a 4 wheeled walker on long walks but not around the house. I took up Macramé' in October 2023 and am getting pretty good, or so I've been told. It's fun. I have a timer on my computer that get's me up for a walk every hour and to drink water every 2 hours. The Dr has me on a 1500 ml water restriction and I am also taking a Super-Duper diuretic twice a day which has me getting up and going to the restroom pretty frequently too. Anyhow, I'll start making weekly updates to keep you informed. I am a 66 yr old single dude who lives in the Midwest.

👋🙋🏼‍♀️
    Hello fellow rollator user!

I only use mine when I have a lot of walking to do, like when I’m at the VA with my husband. Otherwise I use two canes.

I use a NuStep daily for my exercise. We replaced one of the living room couches to fit it in. 10/10 definitely recommend!
  • BCLadybug888
    BCLadybug888 Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    ksquacker wrote: »
    Hello Again, I originally signed up last year but didn't post anything after that. since then I have lost 78 lbs, not in a wheelchair anymore, still on Oxygen for COPD (keeps me kickin'), I use a 4 wheeled walker on long walks but not around the house.

Well done!! My goodness, that is great! Weren't you bedridden originally from your back? What an inspiration, please do keep us posted. 😊
    I took up Macramé' in October 2023 and am getting pretty good, or so I've been told. It's fun.

I used to do macrame, forgot all about it - plant hangers, wall hangings, small hanging tables...sold some, bartered some...probably still have some supplies kicking around from the 70s 😆
    I have a timer on my computer that get's me up for a walk every hour and to drink water every 2 hours.

Great strategy - I was doing this kind of a reminder for steps on my Fitbit, but like the idea of tacking on a water reminder.

Cheers!
  • spinnerdell
    spinnerdell Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Anyone else in this group dealing with a spouse who has dementia?

My spouse is (relatively) fine.

Kind of had it with his friends who always want to know how he’s doing, but don’t visit, or offer to meet for lunch.

It’s been a decade. He’s not gonna get better. Either visit him or stop asking.
    /rant mode off

Yes, I feel your pain. My spouse has had dementia for four years, and for me it's a rough go dealing with family members who get upset or offended when he doesn't remember or understand what they've just told him.
  • cfriedman44
    cfriedman44 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hi my name is Carol. I am 79 and brand new to My Fitness Pal and I am still getting lost on the app. I weigh 208 and have a lot of health issues that makes it hard to exercise. I love the diary as it helps me to be accountable and the suggestions on how I can make changes in my program.
    I would like to make new friends here. Some of the things I enjoy doing is knitting, crochet, and reading fiction.
  • ridiculous59
    ridiculous59 Posts: 2,833 Member
    edited March 7
    Options
    Hi my name is Carol. I am 79 and brand new to My Fitness Pal and I am still getting lost on the app. I weigh 208 and have a lot of health issues that makes it hard to exercise. I love the diary as it helps me to be accountable and the suggestions on how I can make changes in my program.
    I would like to make new friends here. Some of the things I enjoy doing is knitting, crochet, and reading fiction.

Hello and welcome!! Are you able to add any movement to your life? And by that I don't mean let's go for a 3 hour hike or watch a 1980 Jane Fonda workout video! I mean are you able to do a bit of chair yoga? I have a friend who used to be part of my walking group but health issues forced her to make some changes. She can no longer walk any distance but loves doing chair yoga, in a class and also with YouTube videos. As we get older that adage use or or lose it becomes more and more concerning but small "movement snacks" can add up throughout the day 🙂
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options

Welcome Carol.
    I have a balance disorder that makes it difficult to run or walk.

Chair yoga has been mentioned here, and it’s a good idea.
    Although at your age I would recommend discussing any major activity changes with your medical team. A physical therapist at minimum.

Many areas have Silver Sneakers classes. Some are even online. Medicare might cover it for you.

Once you’ve been cleared by PT or your doctor, you might want to look into different devices that could help you exercise at home.
    Personally I use a NuStep. That’s a machine often used by physical therapy offices. It’s expensive, but very kind and adaptable for various disabilities.

You might also want to consider a small hand cycle for use on a desk, or some pedals you can place on the floor in front of your chair.

Every bit helps.

And once again, welcome.
  • BCLadybug888
    Options
    @MargaretYakoda, I love the name Doodlebug! Sorry for your loss.

And thanks for the reminder that we never know what others may be going through and to be kind. I wish you strength and peace. Basically the Serenity Prayer for both of you.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,085 Member
    Options
    @alteredsteve175, good to hear from you! I hope your wife's sobriety does stick . . . I'm sure that would be an improvement in diverse ways. Also, congrats on the good stress test.

As far as weight loss . . . you'll get there. You know how to do it, it's just harder when life is complicated, as yours is for sure.

Wishing you all the best!
  • ridiculous59
    ridiculous59 Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    @MargaretYakoda It's good to be able to pack so many appointments into a single visit. On the other hand, it really does make for a long day. Don't forget to look after your own health through this journey with your husband. Thanks for posting the pics. I can almost hear the seagulls ❤️
  • BCLadybug888
    Options
    @MargaretYakoda, I feel tired just hearing about your day - thank goodness you didn't have to drive, and got so much accomplished. Glad to hear your back is much improved. 👍🏻 Love the pics!
  • BCLadybug888
    Options
    medic1027 wrote: »
    Hello all……back after a long layoff from MFP. Retired fire captain and 40 year veteran paramedic. Still getting used to nights without firehouse meals and adjusting to sleeping all night. Y’all take care and stay strong!!

Welcome back, and welcome to the 60 & up thread! Especially when you have a significant amount of weight to lose, it's important to play the long game, and to stay in the game. You can do this!! But it may take longer than we wish it would...just work on establishing good habits, one at a time, to take you there as painlessly as possible 😉. And feel free to post about any challenges you encounter and the seasoned citizens here will be your allies in the weight war!

And thank you for your Fire & Paramedic service in your community.
  • jimdavidson2065
    jimdavidson2065 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    64 year old retiree based in UK.

Looking to stay fit for as long as possible.

Friends help so feel free to add.

Jim
  • trekkie123
    trekkie123 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Welcome to returnees and newbies! Best of luck in your weight loss journey.
  • BCLadybug888
    Options
    64 year old retiree based in UK.

Looking to stay fit for as long as possible.

Friends help so feel free to add.

Jim

Do the Beatles 🎵 play in your head like they do in mine, since I turned 64?? It's my theme song for this year lol 😂