How do you even track macros?

I know it’s a popular way to track nutrients but I have no idea where to begin. Maybe this might be better for me. Any suggestions on where to start is great.

Replies

• Teabythesea_
    Teabythesea_ Posts: 559 Member
    Better than what exactly? Many people prefer to track calories as meeting that goal is much less complicated than meeting specific carb, fat, and protein goals.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,907 Member
    Your FOOD page already gives you your macros. All you have to do is stay in calories for weight.

Try to hit that protein and fat goal every day and let carbs fall where they fall.
  • emmylootwo
    emmylootwo Posts: 172 Member
    Since you're just starting out, why not try to just track calories. You can eat meat, dairy, veggies, fruits, grains, and fats -- just like the food pyramid. And remember to also eat what you like! (For example, I make room in my calorie goal to eat peanut butter ice cream a few times a week.)
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    I’d you’re logging your food, you’re already tracking your macros. Just look at the bottom of your food tab (on the web) or Click the nutrition button (on the app).

The calorie count of your food is a total of the macros the food has. Protein and carbs are 4.2 cal/g, fat is 9 cal/gram.

If you want to do this by macros (instead of just calories) it means you’re also going to eat a particular number of grams of protein, fat and carbs (which will total the number of calories you’re shooting for now). It’s just more complicated.

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    hclay25 wrote: »
    I know it’s a popular way to track nutrients but I have no idea where to begin. Maybe this might be better for me. Any suggestions on where to start is great.

Start with the MFP defaults in your food diary. As long as you log everything you eat and use good database entries MFP will track your macros for you. As you go onward, try playing with the mix a little if you are not satisfied. Go for a while (days?, weeks?) with fewer carbs and more protein and see if you are satisfied with your food. If not, tweak it a bit the other way.

MFP is set up to do a lot of the tracking work for you. It is up to you to weigh all solids and semi-solids and measure all liquids and log everything you eat. MFP will do the rest.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,481 Member
    Just as an FYI.

If you use an iPhone to log, turn it sideways and it will show you the nutritional breakdown of each item you log.
    (Don’t know if it works on android, anyone?)

As others have said, concentrate on calories first, then meeting your nutritional goals.

Cheers, h.

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,721 Member
    Just as an FYI.

If you use an iPhone to log, turn it sideways and it will show you the nutritional breakdown of each item you log.

As others have said, concentrate on calories first, then meeting your nutritional goals.

Cheers, h.

Same on Android.
  • middlehaitch
    Thanks @AnnPT77, h.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,950 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Just as an FYI.

Cheers, h.

Same on Android.

So much to learn! Thanks!
  • middlehaitch
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Just as an FYI.

Cheers, h.

Same on Android.

So much to learn! Thanks!

Not to worry, a long time ago there was a thread about things people didn’t know about MFP, or something similar, and that was an eye opener for a lot of people.

I found out about it when my phone fell out of my pocket when I went to the bathroom - all this info, how didn’t I know!

Cheers, h.