Replies

• MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    edited January 2019
    brittlb07 wrote: »
    kami3006 wrote: »
    alexhayg wrote: »
    I'm 5ft2 and my BMR is 1450 (for a sedentary job). So this is the base number of calories I should eat a day. I would suggest you Google your bmr and go from that. There are loads of calculators that will work it out for you. Remember to eat good foods as well. 300 cals of veg will make you feel fuller and much better than 300 cals of cookies!

My BMR is 1428.15 so to lose weight, I would certainly need to be around 1200.

You need to eat below your TDEE (which includes bmr, all activity and exercise) to lose, not your BMR (this is the amount you need to survive if you were in a coma).

What is TDEE? Man. I have a lot to learn! That is where I was confused, then. I thought that if your BMR was 1428 then that's what you need to sustain where you are. But I need to lose. So that's not right?

BMR: Basal Metabolic Rate. As others have said, what your body needs to live if all you did was lie around
    TDEE: Total Daily Energy Expenditure. How much your body needs to run to do whatever it is you do throughout the day

To lose 2lbs/week you subtract 1000 cal from your TDEE (obviously this is not appropriate for most people)
    To lose 1lb/week you subtract 500cal
    To lose .5lb/week you subtract 250cal (usually for when you hit 20lbs or less left to lose)

ETA: MyFitnessPal calculates a reasonable deficit from your TDEE based on the info you give it. So fill in your information accurately and pick a reasonable deficit and you should be good :)
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    I'm 5ft2 and my BMR is 1450 (for a sedentary job). So this is the base number of calories I should eat a day. I would suggest you Google your bmr and go from that. There are loads of calculators that will work it out for you. Remember to eat good foods as well. 300 cals of veg will make you feel fuller and much better than 300 cals of cookies!

You need to eat below your TDEE (which includes bmr, all activity and exercise) to lose, not your BMR (this is the amount you need to survive if you were in a coma).

What is TDEE? Man. I have a lot to learn! That is where I was confused, then. I thought that if your BMR was 1428 then that's what you need to sustain where you are. But I need to lose. So that's not right?

Total daily energy expenditure. How much total calories you burn going about your day.
  • Teabythesea_
    Teabythesea_ Posts: 559 Member
    edited January 2019

TDEE = total daily energy expenditure (what you burn in a day composed of BMR + daily activity + exercise)
    BMR = basal Metabolic Rate (what your body burns doing absolutely nothing, just sustaining functions)
    NEAT = non-exercise activity thermogenesis (this is what MFP goes off of and is composed of your BMR + daily activity, it does NOT include exercise like your TDEE)

To lose weight safely, you eat under your TDEE but above your BMR. Using MFP’s formula, you eat what it gives you, log intentional exercise and eat back those calories. Calorie burn estimates tend to be high so you can eat back 50-75% of exercise calories and probably still be good. If you prefer, and what many including myself do, you can find your TDEE using an online calculator, subtract calories from that and manually input your calorie goal into MFP. This negates the need to log exercise.
  • MichelleSilverleaf

BMR: Basal Metabolic Rate. As others have said, what your body needs to live if all you did was lie around
    TDEE: Total Daily Energy Expenditure. How much your body needs to run to do whatever it is you do throughout the day

To lose 2lbs/week you subtract 1000 cal from your TDEE (obviously this is not appropriate for most people)
    To lose 1lb/week you subtract 500cal
    To lose .5lb/week you subtract 250cal (usually for when you hit 20lbs or less left to lose)

ETA: MyFitnessPal calculates a reasonable deficit from your TDEE based on the info you give it. So fill in your information accurately and pick a reasonable deficit and you should be good :)

MFP uses a NEAT calculation: BMR plus daily activity, then you add your exercise. It doesn't calculate TDEE.

Agree with the rest!

You're right, I forgot that.
  • MichelleSilverleaf
    Thank you all. MFP had suggested 1200 calories based on my numbers, so that's what I had trusted. I will have to reevaluate if my BMR is saying 1428. I have been losing the last 12 days, but sounds like maybe 1200 is a bit too drastic? I am guessing that though I have been aiming for 1200, I am probably not being exact enough on my diary and end up closer to 1400 anyways. My food scale was supposed to arrive today but with the snow in the midwest, it was delayed! Maybe I will aim for 1400 but strive to be even more accurate on my log! Thanks for talking me through this.

Sorry if you've already answered this, but how much do you have to lose currently? It's possible your deficit is too aggressive. MFP won't go below 1200cal and that's not always appropriate/necessary for everyone.
  • brittlb07
    brittlb07 Posts: 313 Member
    Thank you all. MFP had suggested 1200 calories based on my numbers, so that's what I had trusted. I will have to reevaluate if my BMR is saying 1428. I have been losing the last 12 days, but sounds like maybe 1200 is a bit too drastic? I am guessing that though I have been aiming for 1200, I am probably not being exact enough on my diary and end up closer to 1400 anyways. My food scale was supposed to arrive today but with the snow in the midwest, it was delayed! Maybe I will aim for 1400 but strive to be even more accurate on my log! Thanks for talking me through this.

Sorry if you've already answered this, but how much do you have to lose currently? It's possible your deficit is too aggressive. MFP won't go below 1200cal and that's not always appropriate/necessary for everyone.

I am 5'4 and 141 currently. I was 146 on January 1. I have been 120-130 my whole adult life until the last six months from a family situation leading to depression. I have a VERY small body frame. I know some people can weight 140 and be fine at my height, but on my body frame, this has lead to a lot of extra fat in my midsection.
  • MichelleSilverleaf
    So about 10-20lbs to go. You might be fine on whatever MFP gives you for 1lb/week loss, but if that's giving you these symptoms might want to bump it down to .5lb/week.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member

But what did you choose for a weekly weight loss goal?
  • brittlb07
    brittlb07 Posts: 313 Member
    try2again wrote: »

It looks like it’s set to 2 pounds per week.

• MichelleSilverleaf

Yeah that's way too aggressive with so little to lose. Try 1lb/week for awhile, and bump down to .5lb if necessary.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,961 Member
    kimny72 wrote: »

For someone trying to go from the top of the healthy weight range to the bottom, this is far too aggressive. Change it to 1 lb per week (if you aren't patient enough to do 0.5). And make sure you are not skimping on protein and fat, one of the problems with 1200 cals is its difficult to get enough protein and fat, which can affect how you feel. Glad to hear your food scale is on the way :smiley: Good luck!

^^Second this.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,939 Member
    kimny72 wrote: »

For someone trying to go from the top of the healthy weight range to the bottom, this is far too aggressive. Change it to 1 lb per week (if you aren't patient enough to do 0.5). And make sure you are not skimping on protein and fat, one of the problems with 1200 cals is its difficult to get enough protein and fat, which can affect how you feel. Glad to hear your food scale is on the way :smiley: Good luck!

^^Second this.

Third-ed