Best way to monitor muscle loss during weight loss process?

Options
There is a lot of emphasis on muscle loss concerns. Protein requirements and eating the proper calorie intake as well as lifting to maintain. Could you
please share the best ways you have found to track this loss of muscle?
Thanks!

Replies

• mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Dexa scans or hydrostatic testing, while not 100% accurate, are the most reliable. But as stated above a little loss is likely inevitable. Get enough protein, strength train and you will have done what you can.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Provided you are getting enough protein and following proper progessive programming, losing not too quickly..then that is going to be your best bet at maintaining as much muscle as possible during a deficit.

How to monitor.. I personally use measurements (certain areas should go down, other areas with more muscle might remain the same or have little change), progress photos and gym progress. I don't do any bodyfat testing since they can be pricey and have varying accuracy.. plus it wouldn't change how I go about what I do since most of my goals are visual.
  • hamelle2
    hamelle2 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the reassurance. I have changed my goals based upon the many terrific posts here on mfp. I have just been told I have ulnar nerve compression serious enough to require surgery. My arm and hand have pronounced muscle loss.
    My first thought was how much more muscle am I going to lose without being able to lift for the long term. I'm not going to let this derail my weight loss.
    Thanks!
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    hamelle2 wrote: »
    Thank you for the reassurance. I have changed my goals based upon the many terrific posts here on mfp. I have just been told I have ulnar nerve compression serious enough to require surgery. My arm and hand have pronounced muscle loss.
    My first thought was how much more muscle am I going to lose without being able to lift for the long term. I'm not going to let this derail my weight loss.
    Thanks!

This sounds like a question for your Physical Therapist or Ortho. Anything with an underlying medical issue really needs to be addressed by medical professionals who know your case. The rest of us can just give generalities which apply to the body as a whole. A professional can speak specifically to your arm issue.

ETA: even if you can't exercise at all, you can lose weight. I lost my first 30 lb without any because of mobility issues.
  • hamelle2
    Options
    Thank you. I think the arm issue prompted me to look into future muscle loss in all parts of my body. And to do my best to monitor that loss more acurately. I see folks posting their percentages occasionally and I was trying to figure out how they do that. Calories and protein in proper amounts seem to be my best bet.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Thank you. I think the arm issue prompted me to look into future muscle loss in all parts of my body. And to do my best to monitor that loss more accurately. I see folks posting their percentages occasionally and I was trying to figure out how they do that. Calories and protein in proper amounts seem to be my best bet.

Assuming your arm and/or hand will be imobile you will definitely have some muscle atrophy, that said the rate will likely be significantly faster than the rest of your body. Mind you, my primary experience has been weight weight bearing limbs, though the same was true when I broke my shoulder last February. With regards to your entire body, I agree with others, a hydrostatic test or DEXA scan are your best bets (scales are typically not nearly not as accurate from what I've read). That said, I wouldn't spend a ton of time worrying about but I would speak to a physical therapist about your concerns.

What does, "long term", look like with regards to you not being able to lift? I'm also assuming that you'll be able to be referred to physical therapy - if it hasn't been brought up by your doctor(s), then you should bring it up now.

edit: I should note that all of the physical therapy I've had for my knees and my shoulder has been with the goal of getting me "back to sport" - that was across three different physical therapy clinics. Finding someone who has experience working with athletes might be useful in your situation.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    My first thought was how much more muscle am I going to lose without being able to lift for the long term.

Assuming you have clearance to exercise, you can still do full-body strength training. Here's a workout for those who can't hold weights: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/comment/41244203#Comment_41244203

By the way, if you sleep with your elbows tightly bent, try wearing elbow braces to keep them straighter at night. It might help the nerve symptoms.
  • hamelle2
    Options
    Thank you so much. I really appreciate the exercise link and the physical therapy ideas. When the surgeon told me I have "substantial " muscle loss in my arm and hand, I think I realized how quickly that can happen. And how awful that feels.
    It will take up to a year to fully heal after the surgery.
    Again, thank you to all!
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much. I really appreciate the exercise link and the physical therapy ideas. When the surgeon told me I have "substantial " muscle loss in my arm and hand, I think I realized how quickly that can happen. And how awful that feels.
    It will take up to a year to fully heal after the surgery.
    Again, thank you to all!

I totally get that. In my case the atrophy was caused by surgery (well and needing to be non-weight bearing) as opposed to by nerve damage, but it took over a year to be cleared to run (which was actually a huge deal and there was much cheering) after my third knee surgery which would have meant that I was about eight or nine months out from my fourth. It's tedious and requires a lot of hard work, but you'll get the strength back.
  • hamelle2
    Options
    I hope I do as well as you. I bet it was a great moment when you finally had control over your body once again! I am very happy for you. Thank you for the encouraging advice. 😊