Options
2»

Replies

• DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    ljmorgi wrote: »
    How did it taste without salt?

The no-salt bread we make at home tastes like bread.

Cool! I don’t need to watch my sodium so it’s all the same to me but I was curious about the taste and if it affected texture. I wonder if manufacturers use salt in bread not only as a flavor enhancer but as a preservative too? Perhaps it lengthens the shelf life of the bread?

When used properly, salt should not make items taste salty. It actually enhances overall flavor and makes products taste more like themselves (that last part is from Thomas Keller's Ad Hoc at Home cookbook). Ask any chef and they'll tell you, living without salt is by far the hardest thing to do because it's so critical to flavor.

Yes, you can make bread or rice, etc. without salt but they'll taste relatively flat. Fine if you will be using them with other salty ingredients, but not really the best if to be eaten on their own.
  • dauchsmom
    dauchsmom Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    dauchsmom wrote: »
    Maybe one day I will break down and buy one. Another old fashioned baker suggests something- I'll listen! It could make things easier as I age also.

I know I resisted the Instant Pot at first, now I have a love affair going with it ! lol

Thanks for the inuput!

Hmmm ... I feel pretty much the same way about the InstaPot as I did about the bread machine before I got one. (What do I need one of those for??) Maybe I need to break down and give it a try. :smile:

ETA: But I absolutely draw the line at an electric can opener. No way. No how.

I agree! No electric can opener for me.. I had one once upon a nightmare...
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »
    Can you guys get that crispy skin of an artisan baked bread (no kneed bread for example) in from the bread machine or can this only be done baking in an oven?

I can get a crisper crust than standard commercial bakery bread (the pre-sliced in a plastic wrapper bread), but on average, I would say, "artisanal" bread will have a harder crust than a bread machine loaf. Personally, I'm not a fan of an overly hard or thick crust, but I guess "overly hard or thick" is in the teeth of the chewer.

As I said, if I have time and energy and it's cool weather, or I'm doing multiple loaves at once, I'll generally knead by hand and proof wherever (on range top, in steamy microwave, in oven) makes sense based on the weather/indoor temp (I don't have a proofing drawer) and bake in my oven (although you can use most bread machines to knead for you and then bake in your oven, which makes sense for a shaped or braided loaf, obviously, or you can knead the dough by hand and pop it into the machine for a rise-and-bake cycle only).

But there are days when time and energy constraints, or sanity about energy use, come down in favor of using the bread machine.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    There is the dough setting on the bread maker which takes out the lions share of the labour.

Experienced bakers can correct me if I am wrong on this but a higher temp oven will give a crispier crust.
  • ljmorgi
    ljmorgi Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    We let the dough setting of the bread maker do the kneading, then we take it out and bake it in the oven; we like the results better that way.

We also have an Instant Pot and I love it. I made a fresh batch of homemade yogurt last night.

My preferred can opener is the kind that unseals the lid rather than cutting through the metal. :)
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    dauchsmom wrote: »
    My real name is Leah and I'm a fairly Kosher kind of gal.

You can read more about it here

A dear friend of our family, for whom I was named, had mentioned that the flour had to be "watched". In Israel, where she was from, this meant the Rabbi coming in and literally watching the processes, from deliver to manufacturing the matzah itself. Now if you want to argue this, go ahead. You'll be arguing against what a Jewish lady taught us who is from Israel and comes from a long line of Sephardic Jews.

In any case, we shall agree to disagree and put this topic to rest. You have your opinion as do I when it comes to the baking of both regular bread and matzah. And I very much enjoyed the Seder. Try making your own matzah some time (or matzos). You'll find if you do it as per requirement its not easy. Here's the outline of a good kosher product.

The only parts I was truly able to stick to was the 18 minute time limit and the perforation.

I'm not sure what we're disagreeing on. Would you care to elaborate @dauchsmom? I never said you weren't making bread (I actually said a number of times that you were making bread without salt). I also never said that you weren't making matzah. I never really remarked on your making it for your church's seder. Note the quote from one of my posts above: "I definitely didn't say you didn't make bread or that you can't make bread without salt."

And yes, I'm Jewish and I know about the process of making kosher for Passover matzah.
  • dauchsmom
    dauchsmom Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    ljmorgi wrote: »
    We let the dough setting of the bread maker do the kneading, then we take it out and bake it in the oven; we like the results better that way.

We also have an Instant Pot and I love it. I made a fresh batch of homemade yogurt last night.

My preferred can opener is the kind that unseals the lid rather than cutting through the metal. :)
    My mom had one of those and swore by it too!so far Im still on the old fashioned one lol