Replies

• lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    zeejane03 wrote: »
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    If I had to pick one official diet this is the one I would pick, because it's freakin' delicious and I have found the closer I adhere to its tenets, the easier it was to lose and then maintain my weight. It also covers a very wide variety of cuisines.

For high fiber, you should be nailing it if you eat 8-10 servings of fruit and veg a day (keep the peels on and make sure you are picking higher fiber selections), with at least one serving being fiber-rich legumes.

Be careful, because there are plenty of Mediterranean foods that can get you in trouble--olive oil in particular needs to be measured very carefully as it is calorie dense at 120 calories per tablespoon.

Also, I tend to give myself a fairly liberal interpretation of the region, but things that are traditionally French like quiche Lorraine or Brie and Camembert are actually very Northern, dairy-based, and in the case of the Lorraine region actually were German for long stretches of time. So, if you are looking at every last calorie, you would probably want to avoid heavy quiches and pick lighter cheeses like feta or parmesan.

I think a really important aspect of the diet is (like the French and Italians and other guardians of traditional cuisines) to bring discernment, pride, and an emphasis on excellence to what you are putting on your plate. It should be simple and beautiful, with good quality ingredients, whether you can afford the high priced organic veg from Whole Foods or you are creating meals with more economical selections from the Birdseye frozen veg section. So many people are ashamed of their food, but it should be a source of pleasure, love and pride.

There's a thread in the debate section that goes into this a bit more, it's actually pretty hard to get the recommended fiber, 30+ grams a day, just from vegetables/fruit. A serving of legumes would help, but most likely you'll still come short unless you're also eating whole grains, potatoes etc.

I disagree. I find that if I have a variety of veg and some fruit and a serving of legumes, I'll generally be over 30, even if I don't happen to eat grains or potatoes (which only have 2 g per 100) that day. I might pick up some from other foods, like nuts or seeds, of course.

I would be interested in seeing what veg/fruit combo, with a serving of legumes, would hit over 30g (genuinely interested). On a high veg/fruit day I hit around 20g from those, if I add a serving of beans I'd still be under a bit. Wondering what I could add to get my veg/fruit fiber numbers up :)

Okay from one particular day (I log at Cron):

Breakfast was an omelet with spinach, broccoli, and mushrooms with mango on the side. Lunch was a big salad on romaine with tomatoes, radishes, green and red bell peppers, onions, and half a cup of chickpeas, plus some pepitas, and dinner was a black bean based soup (cup of black beans, some carrots and butternut squash, tomatoes, peppers, cauliflower). 45 g fiber.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    If I had to pick one official diet this is the one I would pick, because it's freakin' delicious and I have found the closer I adhere to its tenets, the easier it was to lose and then maintain my weight. It also covers a very wide variety of cuisines.

For high fiber, you should be nailing it if you eat 8-10 servings of fruit and veg a day (keep the peels on and make sure you are picking higher fiber selections), with at least one serving being fiber-rich legumes.

Be careful, because there are plenty of Mediterranean foods that can get you in trouble--olive oil in particular needs to be measured very carefully as it is calorie dense at 120 calories per tablespoon.

Also, I tend to give myself a fairly liberal interpretation of the region, but things that are traditionally French like quiche Lorraine or Brie and Camembert are actually very Northern, dairy-based, and in the case of the Lorraine region actually were German for long stretches of time. So, if you are looking at every last calorie, you would probably want to avoid heavy quiches and pick lighter cheeses like feta or parmesan.

I think a really important aspect of the diet is (like the French and Italians and other guardians of traditional cuisines) to bring discernment, pride, and an emphasis on excellence to what you are putting on your plate. It should be simple and beautiful, with good quality ingredients, whether you can afford the high priced organic veg from Whole Foods or you are creating meals with more economical selections from the Birdseye frozen veg section. So many people are ashamed of their food, but it should be a source of pleasure, love and pride.

There's a thread in the debate section that goes into this a bit more, it's actually pretty hard to get the recommended fiber, 30+ grams a day, just from vegetables/fruit. A serving of legumes would help, but most likely you'll still come short unless you're also eating whole grains, potatoes etc.

I disagree. I find that if I have a variety of veg and some fruit and a serving of legumes, I'll generally be over 30, even if I don't happen to eat grains or potatoes (which only have 2 g per 100) that day. I might pick up some from other foods, like nuts or seeds, of course.

I would be interested in seeing what veg/fruit combo, with a serving of legumes, would hit over 30g (genuinely interested). On a high veg/fruit day I hit around 20g from those, if I add a serving of beans I'd still be under a bit. Wondering what I could add to get my veg/fruit fiber numbers up :)

I am just getting back into logging after quite a long while off, but here is a recent day. This is including grains too, but unless you are cutting them out completely, they are going to be there, making a contribution, as "background noise" at least.

Oatmeal--4 g
    box raisins--2 g
    .25 cup quinoia--1 g
    1 c broccoli--4 g
    1/2 c apple--2 g
    Chipotle mild salsa--1 g
    Chipotle chips (not a full bag)--2 g
    2/3 Chipotle burrito white rice/mild salsa/corn salsa/black beans --10 g
    3 clementines--4 g
    1 oz popcorn--2 g

For a total of 32 g for a normal day with 8-ish servings.

A group of us have done a challenge from time to time involving 10+ servings of fruit and veg a day; when you get THAT much fiber (in addition to the "background noise" fiber from your run of mill diet, it does, let's say, interesting things to your deposits at the Brown & Company Fidelity Fiduciary Depository Corp. till you get things straightened out. (My secret weapon/nemesis/downfall is a full bag of dried blueberries--8 g fiber for 190 calories).

Reaching your fiber goal with the helps of chips and salsa, that's truly smart living!

Yes, but we were looking for examples of hitting it without grains, like oatmeal, rice, tortilla (I believe the Chipotle ones are wheat).
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

I am just getting back into logging after quite a long while off, but here is a recent day. This is including grains too, but unless you are cutting them out completely, they are going to be there, making a contribution, as "background noise" at least.

Oatmeal--4 g
    box raisins--2 g
    .25 cup quinoia--1 g
    1 c broccoli--4 g
    1/2 c apple--2 g
    Chipotle mild salsa--1 g
    3 clementines--4 g
    1 oz popcorn--2 g

A group of us have done a challenge from time to time involving 10+ servings of fruit and veg a day; when you get THAT much fiber (in addition to the "background noise" fiber from your run of mill diet, it does, let's say, interesting things to your deposits at the Brown & Company Fidelity Fiduciary Depository Corp. till you get things straightened out. (My secret weapon/nemesis/downfall is a full bag of dried blueberries--8 g fiber for 190 calories).

Reaching your fiber goal with the helps of chips and salsa, that's truly smart living!

Yes, but we were looking for examples of hitting it without grains, like oatmeal, rice, tortilla (I believe the Chipotle ones are wheat).

My comment was meant in a joking manner, but the chips and salsa only provided 3 grams of fiber for the overall day. It could easily be replaced with a non-wheat item . . . just have an apple (4 grams of fiber) instead. It wasn't really a critical part of the plan.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    Looks like I get the most fiber for the least calories from raspberries, which I buy frozen this time of year. No spoilage and only slightly less yummy than fresh in season, and they are perfectly fine in overnight oats.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options

Yep, I am on that thread, hence the hedging above to "keep the frickin' peels on, people!" and to actually CHECK WHAT YOU ARE EATING instead of assuming your peeled aubergines or whatnot are going to fit the bill. :D I have never had a problem hitting 25+ grams of fiber when eating 8+ veg servings, personally, but I guess some people can get themselves into trouble.

I am in the school that includes potatoes as a veg, because I actually grow them and see how they work, as opposed to the school that regards them as Satanic White Foods That Are Of the Devil, so I don't call them out separately. But I happen to have a lot of thoughts on them! I would see them as an intrinsic part of the Mediterranean diet...however...they should be more along the lines of what you get in a Nicoise salad and not, say, gnocchi or pommes frites or pommes Anna. Fingerlings are especially good because they have a higher peel-to-flesh ratio, but even a big baked potato loaded up with Greek yougurt is amazingly delicious and nutritious.

I deliberately didn't share my thoughts on the whole grains...my grain of choice is good old Scottish oats slathered with lashings of heavy cream and brown sugar, so, yeah. Not very Mediterranean! I self-flagellated with other whole grain breads for a while, but they don't get you that much more fiber than white breads (unless you are eating the crazy ones) and I would rather enjoy a nice white baguette and eat extra veg. Or hummus!

Which reminds me that there's a gardening thread in the Food and Nutrition section that you should find and bump, since your voice would be great in that thread.

I found it, and pinged her, so bumped it :)
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    Options
    I'm on the Med diet for 32 yrs. I moved to Italy then. As for fiber, I don't track it. I didn't know the Med diet was recommended for it's fiber intake. It's not discussed very much on here because it's up for personal interpretation. The guidelines are very loose. Also you need to choose which Med country you'd prefer to follow.
  • nationalvillage3215
    Options
    I enjoy the variety of the Med diet. One Thomas Multigrain lite English Muffin gives me 8g or fiber for just 100 calories. Quinoa and beans, along with at least 3 cups of vegetables and 3 fruits gets my fiber intake up fast! Did a lot of research and now have the portion sizes and no. of servings per food group down pretty well with keeping my calorie intake to 1200/day by tracking. Hopefully this will produce good results!
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Also you need to choose which Med country you'd prefer to follow.

Why? The goal is to create a diet structure that works regardless of the individual dishes. Greece and Morocco might have flat bread, Spain uses more rice, Italy pasta, but the point is the portion of those, the types of protein, lots of fruit and veg, etc.

• snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    Options

Why? The goal is to create a diet structure that works regardless of the individual dishes. Greece and Morocco might have flat bread, Spain uses more rice, Italy pasta, but the point is the portion of those, the types of protein, lots of fruit and veg, etc.

Because...perhaps the OP doesn't like rice, or pasta, or prefers flat bread. I'd look at what different Med countries eat and choose the one that is closer to my likes. This in a context of overall diet.
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

Oatmeal--4 g
    box raisins--2 g
    .25 cup quinoia--1 g
    1 c broccoli--4 g
    1/2 c apple--2 g
    Chipotle mild salsa--1 g
    3 clementines--4 g
    1 oz popcorn--2 g

OK: One day's fiber from veg/fruit.

3g - mixed berries
    4g - winter squash
    11g - brussels sprouts
    2g - onions
    1g - tomatoes
    1g - cucumber
    2g - avocado
    2g - kumquats

Not quite 30, but 26. If I count the permissable 1 serving of legumes (lentils at 6.3g), that's 32. Total for the day, 51g. (Balance from more lentils and miscellaneous small contributors like nuts, seeds, spices, tofu; only 7g from grains (oatmeal for 3g, Ezekiel pita for 4g).

This is a high side of average day, I'd say. Around 40g is pretty normal, and that proportion from grains is pretty normal, too.

Because...perhaps the OP doesn't like rice, or pasta, or prefers flat bread. I'd look at what different Med countries eat and choose the one that is closer to my likes. This in a context of overall diet.

I think the point is: Why choose one? The so-called "Mediterranean diet" is an eating pattern. It allows for variations. It can include foods from multiple Mediterranean countries, and (I'd suggest) even completely non-Mediterranean countries. Are the same vegetables and grains suddenly not as healthy because we use South Asian or African or South American spices in them?

I think, if you are going to be doing a lot of your own cooking, it would be helpful to get to know one country's cuisines and food practices/attitudes really well, and then to branch off from there. But it is certainly not mandatory. It just makes it easier at the grocery store, knowing which foods to buy and what to keep stocked in your pantry. I can cruise along pretty well with French, Italian and Greek, but if I suddenly had to switch to Israeli or Moroccan, I would be pretty lost and would have to do a lot of research and practice to prepare my meals. (This is beyond eating at restaurants or buying some hummus and pitas or veg). It's just helpful to have an intellectual framework of what flavors go together, what is the aromatic foundation of the cuisine, what herbs and spices work best together, etc.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    This is actually why I don't like the term "Med diet" for the healthy eating pattern described above. My cooking isn't particularly Mediterranean in style. If I cook in any style on a regular basis, it's something of a farm-to-table American style, pretty simple on a day to day basis, but with various dishes I've adopted/adapted from a variety of cultures (I like reading regionally-based cookbooks and experimenting with different ideas).

But it still fits the Mayo Clinic list in most respects.
  • carbos101
    carbos101 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Ya'll sound like gourmets compared to me - what's the healthiest, easiest, way to eat other than raw or frozen veggies, nuts, canned lentils, beans (can't stand canned foods but need to get over it), wholegrain cereals, the healthy Irish/Scottish oats (not the easiest to make), and the Trader Joe's frozen oatmeal is all flavored/sugared up I'd love to be able to eat strictly vegetarian but need more straight protein (unfortunately) like from meat. Any suggestions other than tofu and eggs? Chicken seems to be a staple but I try not to eat too much.

Would love to be able to eat the Okinawa diet or the Loma Linda, California (7th Day Adventists) diet. It's tough.