How Many Calories Should I Be Consuming?

Options
I was consuming 1,560 calories,plus I was eating most of my exercise calories. I am not losing weight, so a friend of mine told me to try not to eat back my exercise calories.I also lowered my calorie limit to 1,400. My problem is I get so hungry after dinner. Is my calorie limit to low, or do Just have to get used to this . I have only been on this 1,400 calorie diet for 3 days. Any Ideas? 🤔

Replies

• Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Options
    Where did the 1560 come from? Is that what mfp gave you?

How long were you at that level?
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    How accurate is your calorie tracking? Too you weigh everything on a food scale? How are you calculating your exercise calories?
  • rainbowblu
    rainbowblu Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Your body needs time to adjust to your new lower calories, eat more filling foods.Whats filling to me is Chicken breast,Greek yogurt, broth based soups,grapefruit,salads..find foods/meals that satiate you, you have to experiment to find what works. When I lost 100lbs I didn't eat my exercise calories,but I wasn't afraid to use them on days when I was still hungry or had a celebratory event..I would say I used them occasionally..
  • SoleTrainer60
    SoleTrainer60 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Thank you all very much. I am 62 years old ,5’ 3” tall and weigh 173 pounds. I try to walk 3-4 miles a day ,usually5 days a week. I have been on 1,560 calories for quite a few months and I use a measuring cup or measuring spoons, but I do not use a scale. I try to estimate meat portions. I know this probably isn’t t the best thing to do. 😊
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options
    I was consuming 1,560 calories,plus I was eating most of my exercise calories. I am not losing weight, so a friend of mine told me to try not to eat back my exercise calories.I also lowered my calorie limit to 1,400. My problem is I get so hungry after dinner. Is my calorie limit to low, or do Just have to get used to this . I have only been on this 1,400 calorie diet for 3 days. Any Ideas? 🤔

You should experiment with different foods (e.g., more protein or more fat, low-cal foods like non-starchy veggies that you can eat in large volumes) and different meal timing (e.g., late breakfast) to see if they help you feel less hungry after dinner.
  • lonelystaarr
    lonelystaarr Posts: 221 Member
    Options

You should experiment with different foods (e.g., more protein or more fat, low-cal foods like non-starchy veggies that you can eat in large volumes) and different meal timing (e.g., late breakfast) to see if they help you feel less hungry after dinner.

I agree, great advice. And maybe investing in a food scale if you don't have one already?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    Thank you all very much. I am 62 years old ,5’ 3” tall and weigh 173 pounds. I try to walk 3-4 miles a day ,usually5 days a week. I have been on 1,560 calories for quite a few months and I use a measuring cup or measuring spoons, but I do not use a scale. I try to estimate meat portions. I know this probably isn’t t the best thing to do. 😊

Another vote to stay at 1560 but get a food scale.
  • tonyfastz06
    tonyfastz06 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    amy19355 wrote: »
    do a search for "BMR Calculator". Once you have your BMR calories, you should also see a link to the Harris Benedict formula which adds a factor to the number you got in the first step. This will give you your "maintenance" calories for your age, weight, activity level etc. Then take that number and subtract 350 calories (you might go as far as 500 eventually but save this as a next step).

once you have your calories, you need to set your macros. Start with 1g of protein/day. Then set your fats at 25% and use carbs for the rest.

this will give you the starting point for calories and macros. Then, eat your carbs usually around your activity and save your protein/fats for dinner/after dinner as a start and this should help with managing hunger pains.

this is all just a guide. Don't know anything about you or your situation so it is very generic in nature.

Always good idea to double check information. Typos happen.

no idea what you're talking about but.. sure, will keep that in mind. Set the % of protein to whatever percentage will give you 1g protein per lb of body weight, set fats to 25% and use carbs for the rest.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    do a search for "BMR Calculator". Once you have your BMR calories, you should also see a link to the Harris Benedict formula which adds a factor to the number you got in the first step. This will give you your "maintenance" calories for your age, weight, activity level etc. Then take that number and subtract 350 calories (you might go as far as 500 eventually but save this as a next step).

once you have your calories, you need to set your macros. Start with 1g of protein/day. Then set your fats at 25% and use carbs for the rest.

this will give you the starting point for calories and macros. Then, eat your carbs usually around your activity and save your protein/fats for dinner/after dinner as a start and this should help with managing hunger pains.

this is all just a guide. Don't know anything about you or your situation so it is very generic in nature.

no idea what you're talking about but.. sure, will keep that in mind. Set the % of protein to whatever percentage will give you 1g protein per lb of body weight, set fats to 25% and use carbs for the rest.

She was just pointing out a simple oversight. You originally wrote 1g protein/day.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

Where are you getting that recommendation from? What I usually read is 1 gram per kilogram of body weight.