Using up calories difficult

Options
Anyone else finding it hard to use up calories?im allowed 1500 but go to the gym for an hour daily so it readjusts the calories so I’m finding it hard to use the full 1500

Replies

• tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,136 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Nope, eating my calories has never been a problem for me.

Try eating some calorie dense foods if you can't manage more volume, things like oils, nuts, seeds, nut butters, avocado or there's always chocolate :wink:

I'd also ask if you're guessing portion sizes and maybe underlogging? A lot of people wildly underestimate what they are eating and so it appears they are struggling to eat their calories when in actual fact they aren't.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    If you are trying to lose weight, you must have been eating more calories than that at some point. What were you eating then that you aren't eating now?

Also, many people think healthy has to be low fat. Just choose healthy fats: olive oil, avocados, nuts...
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Exercise calories can be a bit inflated. What are you doing at the gym and how many extra calories is it giving you?

Also make sure you are logging accurately, as a male 1500 is the absolute minimum and should not be difficult to reach

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1234699/logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide/p1
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    1500 calories isn't hard to reach...you're here to lose weight, so obviously you were eating much more than that at some point. This issue is usually do to cutting out a lot of dietary fat from the diet...eat more calorie dense things like nuts, nut butters, cook with good oils, etc.
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    Options
    oh man I wish! haha. i could easily eat much more (not that i am hungry, i just COULD eat much more)

but maybe you are eating foods that are too low calorie filling you up. if you have a hard time eating quantity, chose foods that are high in calorie density (so more calories in less quantity). almonds and nuts are terific but here is a longer list of options:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10142490/a-list-of-calorie-dense-foods/p1
  • Mithridites
    Mithridites Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Right
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter

And ice cream!
  • trokey2110
    trokey2110 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    No I weigh everything I eat and track calories burned I don’t eat unhealthy foods I eat Alpen for breakfasts and peanut butter sandwich for dinner then I’ll eat homemade soup for dinner followed by Greek yoghurt and blueberries and dinner I will eat chicken breast with veg if that helps
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    @trokey2110 It seems unusual that you'd claim difficulty at consuming so much as 1500 calories.

For those foods you describe, simply having 2x the yoghurt for that meal looks like it would get you the rest of the way to 1500. How old are you?
  • trokey2110
    Options
    I’m 47
  • trokey2110
    Options

I would share my profile but not sure on how to do it ?
    kimny72 wrote: »
    trokey2110 wrote: »
    No I weigh everything I eat and track calories burned I don’t eat unhealthy foods I eat Alpen for breakfasts and peanut butter sandwich for dinner then I’ll eat homemade soup for dinner followed by Greek yoghurt and blueberries and dinner I will eat chicken breast with veg if that helps

Would you be willing to temporarily make your diary public? Maybe if we could see what you are filling up on we could make better suggestions.

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

Eat bigger portions of that stuff then.
  • JessAndreia
    JessAndreia Posts: 540 Member
    Options

A serving of pasta with that chicken and veggies. Plus +/- 300 calories. If you're eating just one serving of Alpen, eat 2. If your soup only includes low calories veggies, throw in a cup of beans (plus 230 or so calories)…
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    I would share my profile but not sure on how to do it ?
    kimny72 wrote: »

Would you be willing to temporarily make your diary public? Maybe if we could see what you are filling up on we could make better suggestions.

Settings... diary settings... Change it to public, and then you can change it back to private whenever you want.