Menopause frustrations!!

Replies

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    After these 'sleep' threads and specifically for menopause, I've been thinking about the CBD oil.

Where are you getting CBD oil from? We have an herb shop here (US) that sells it, is there anything specific that I need to look for? I did a little research yesterday, not sure of proper dosing... anyone help?

If your herb shop is like the little health food store near my mom, they will be able to advise you as to dosage. Should also say on the bottle.

Thanks. I saw yesterday things like trying 250 or 500 for this or that. But for sleep or menopause issues nothing concrete I could find. I may punt on the whole idea, taking too much of anything is something I am always leary of for side effects, god knows I don't need any more side effects. :smile:
  • Corr_Paisley
    Corr_Paisley Posts: 27 Member
    nowine4me wrote: »
    53 here. I’ve tried everything. Really, everything. What’s working for me right now is CBD oil + high dose magnesium and mouth taping.

Do your homework on benedryl and melatonin - you will find that some experts find them quick risky.

I hadn't heard that they were risky, though I was so desperate for any form of help that I just trusted my doctor (blindly?) as she's been really good with my issues in the past. I'll go do a little research on the two. :smile:

What is 'mouth taping'?
  • Corr_Paisley
    I take Gabopentin for my restless legs which at times inhibit my sleep (and definitely my husband's!). I've been getting the night sweats for a couple of years now and have problems falling back to sleep after I throw the covers off (then on, then off, rinse & repeat). I tried melatonin a long time ago and it worked to a point, after which time I stopped. And the itching! I read somewhere that a small percentage of women get it as part of menopause, so I guess we're among the "lucky" ones.

Maybe CBD oil will be our best bet?

I tried Gavopentin for my restless legs but it seemed to override my anxiety meds and I would wake up from nightmares and an anxiety ride while I was on it, so that ended that. I am finding that glucosamine works for them when it's just an ache, but once that 'tugging' (for lack of a better word) starts happening, I'm stuck getting up to walk around a bit and having to take some ibuprofen. OOooh, the itching is horrible!! Why do all these things seem to be so bad a bedtime too?? Urgh! I don't wanna be lucky like that. LoL

I'm definitely going to talk to my doctor about CBD oil. Maybe having some 'professional' to discuss it with beforehand will help ease the anxiety that I tend to have when starting new things, and I'll then be brave enough to give it a go. :smile:
  • Corr_Paisley
    Gisel2015 wrote: »
    There is a product called Calm, which is a magnesium supplement, that can help. I buy it off Amazon.

Hubby uses a product called Rest In Peace by Insane Labz.

I don't like that name.....

OK? I didn't name it. :|

They need to add a little laughing emote next to the 'Insightful', 'Inspiring', 'Like', 'Woo', and 'Hug' ones. :smiley:
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,136 Member
    There is a product called Calm, which is a magnesium supplement, that can help. I buy it off Amazon.

I know you didn't :) It just that the name "Rest in Peace" has a different connotation and it seemed spooky for a relaxing supplement. It gave me the chills.
  • mtnstar
    mtnstar Posts: 125 Member
    Yoga before bed has helped my sleep a ton. You can look up poses that activate the parasympathetic nervous system- forward folds and gentle twists, with intentional breathing. I had several months of very disrupted sleep, and now it’s back to restful.
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    mtnstar wrote: »
    Yoga before bed has helped my sleep a ton. You can look up poses that activate the parasympathetic nervous system- forward folds and gentle twists, with intentional breathing. I had several months of very disrupted sleep, and now it’s back to restful.

Yin Yoga is FANTASTIC for that.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,893 Member
    I take Gabopentin for my restless legs which at times inhibit my sleep (and definitely my husband's!). I've been getting the night sweats for a couple of years now and have problems falling back to sleep after I throw the covers off (then on, then off, rinse & repeat). I tried melatonin a long time ago and it worked to a point, after which time I stopped. And the itching! I read somewhere that a small percentage of women get it as part of menopause, so I guess we're among the "lucky" ones.

Maybe CBD oil will be our best bet?

I tried Gavopentin for my restless legs but it seemed to override my anxiety meds and I would wake up from nightmares and an anxiety ride while I was on it, so that ended that. I am finding that glucosamine works for them when it's just an ache, but once that 'tugging' (for lack of a better word) starts happening, I'm stuck getting up to walk around a bit and having to take some ibuprofen. OOooh, the itching is horrible!! Why do all these things seem to be so bad a bedtime too?? Urgh! I don't wanna be lucky like that. LoL

I'm definitely going to talk to my doctor about CBD oil. Maybe having some 'professional' to discuss it with beforehand will help ease the anxiety that I tend to have when starting new things, and I'll then be brave enough to give it a go. :smile:

Just FYI, my brother's doctors were not the least bit informed on CBD oil. This is unsurprising, as it is a new field, and not part of the curriculum.

By contrast, when my mother got her medical marijuana card, the doctor who approved her and the people at the dispensary were quite informed and helpful.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Keep in mind we should always talk to our doctor or pharmacist before adding supplements. ;)
    We tend to think of vitamins and herbs as "healthy" and "safe" but that assumption is not necessarily true if when taking prescription medications or other supplements.

For example, magnesium is not always advised for those taking blood thinners, anti-diabetes drugs, certain osteoporosis medicines, etc. Sometimes it's only a matter of taking magnesium at a different time from the other meds, and sometimes it's a matter of don't take it at all. WebMD info here, including interactions:
    https://www.webmd.com/vitamins/ai/ingredientmono-998/magnesium

Valerian can also interact in a negative way, particularly if you like to drink or take sedatives. If you take statins, valerian can change how your liver metabolizes the medication.

Very well stated.

Adding from experience, mixing supplements with SSRI's or anti-depresseent/anxiety medications. These medications affect serotonin which affects sleep, mood, etc. Too much can be toxic, even a mild case can have profound effect on the body. Been there and done that with a previous sleeping medication (available for off label use) I was taking prior to looking for natural ways to combat menopause and sleep issues.

When I went to the doctor regarding my symptoms, he asked me what supplements I was taking, one was magnesium, he immediately gave me blood work as my symptoms with my very low blood pressure could have been caused by too much and/or build up in my body.

Yes, be super careful, cross reference supplements you plan to take, this is one reason I was super leary of the CBD, while its generally safe, too much of anything or the wrong mix will only compound things.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,052 Member
    Thanks for the thread. I always learn something. Never heard of the itching thing.
  • Corr_Paisley
    mtnstar wrote: »

That's a fantastic idea! I've just started yoga at our local parks & rec on Monday evenings to help with my core strengthening and to help release built up stress, but I can totally cast YouTube videos to my tv too. I didn't even think of that! Thank you!! ♥
  • LeanButNotMean44
    LeanButNotMean44 Posts: 852 Member
    ahoy_m8 wrote: »
    Thanks for the thread. I always learn something. Never heard of the itching thing.

I hadn’t either until a couple of Summers ago when the tops of both feet started itching uncontrollably. I literally had to scratch them with a stiff bristled hair brush to get any relief, which caused bloody scratches. A friend told me it was likely menopause related. I still get really itchy, and I’m good at moisturizing so I know dryness is not the cause.

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    How about cutting caffeine? I cut myself off after noon.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    edited January 2019
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    After these 'sleep' threads and specifically for menopause, I've been thinking about the CBD oil.

Where are you getting CBD oil from? We have an herb shop here (US) that sells it, is there anything specific that I need to look for? I did a little research yesterday, not sure of proper dosing... anyone help?

I did my homework and ordered on Amazon. Start with a lower dose and move up if it works. Look for good reviews. I picked:

Hemp Oil for Pain Relief - Stress Support, Anti Anxiety, Sleep Supplements - Herbal Drops - Rich in MCT Fatty Acids - Natural Anti Inflammatory - 1 Fl Oz (30 ml) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079VS8JY9/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_dRqrCbFCTYK0H
  • Corr_Paisley
    jgnatca wrote: »
    How about cutting caffeine? I cut myself off after noon.

I'd never had issues with caffeine before this, but with the whole body change thing that happens during peri-menopause that may be a good idea to try. It certainly wouldn't hurt. :) I'm working on cutting out coffee from my diet, changing over to green teas, and cutting my pop intake right down so hopefully that could be the answer. :smile:
  • nazish2000
    nazish2000 Posts: 2 Member
    Hi
    Iam in the same boat , At 47 I was struggling with sleep issues , irregular cycles and wt gain
    I research a lot and now I understand it is a kind of harmonal imbalance of perimenopausal years ,
    I took oral progesterone. ( Prometrium 100 mg )every night from a month
    it is balancing my cycle and mood swings along with a much
    better deep sleep , pls read “ benefits of Progesterone at Peri menopausal years” on google
  • nazish2000
    nazish2000 Posts: 2 Member
    One can check body “Progesterone levels from blood test also,
    if they are very low , they cause a lot of trouble in this age
    ... it might be a good idea to talk to your doctor, to take natural type progesterone
    I started taking them for very bad cycles and mood swings, before even checking my levels
    I simply asked my family doc to prescribe it to me by doing research on net, my self
    hope it help you in some manner

• GettingOld68
    GettingOld68 Posts: 20 Member
    I turned 50 a few months ago, but am still on hormonal birth control because the doc said it could help with the transition. Now I don't know when to stop because when I've tried skipping the off-week and continuing hormones into the next cycle, I've had horrible anxiety. Sigh. Anyway, in addition to taking magnesium, I've found that a meditation app (I use Buddifhy) has been really helpful with both sleep and anxiety. Also, as part of losing weight (which seemed to magically appear around my belly in the last year), I eliminated red wine for a while and now only drink alcohol occasionally. That also helped me sleep better, which in turn helped my overall mood.
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member

I know you didn't :) It just that the name "Rest in Peace" has a different connotation and it seemed spooky for a relaxing supplement. It gave me the chills.

Yes...I thought the same thing....don't wanna be that rested😲