switching to a new diet every 5 days? - anyone done this?

Options
I am embarking on a regime where I follow a known diet for 5 days, then switch to a completely new one! I am right at the beginning of my journey and started with the 5:2 diet (3:2 in my case!) on Friday I am switching to the Good Food's website healthy diet plan and then 5 days later I am switching to another one yet again.. I am hoping to do most of well known ones like Atkins, the Raw diet, Keto diet, Dukan etc... my aim is to do 16 diets over 80 days. I am hoping it will beat the boredom of the same type of food over and over and keep me motivated looking forward to the next one! Anyone ever done this.. I know a man did 10 diets in 50 days and lost over 30lbs so hoping for the same success!

Replies

• barbarajaneuk
    barbarajaneuk Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Why not just eat a variety of stuff? Those diets only work so long as they help you stay in a deficit. Are you going to eat this way long term?

I have followed a low fat diet before and got bored and at times it didn't fit in with my lifestyle, I figure this way I can pick a diet that fits in with my life that week and roll with it. I also have a fitbit and can keep an eye on calories burned v food eaten and hopefully I will stay in deficit. Long term, I hope as I go through the plans, I will find a couple that will be a good maintenance diet too and I can keep juggling these around accordingly. It is a bit of an experiment and nothing to lose in trying the different ones and the one and only person I know who has done this it was quite successful (he wrote a book about it too!)
  • barbarajaneuk
    Options
    Fatty_Nuff wrote: »
    I've pretty much done this over the past ten years. Still weigh 250 pounds. :'(

Aww.. sorry to hear that.. I am going to try and monitor if I stay in deficit too and also getting regular exercise in too.. only 80 days in my case to trial this and see if it works for me x
  • barbarajaneuk
    Options
    I just want to point out that the 5 days of keto might not get you into ketosis. How about you arrange it so that one of the lesser carb diets is immediately preceding
    I just want to point out that the 5 days of keto might not get you into ketosis. How about you arrange it so that one of the lesser carb diets is immediately preceding the keto diet?

Thanks, I might have to look at that.. I have never done a low carb diet so that one will be an interesting one for me.. and as it's a bit of an experiment if I don't lose anything in the 5 days no worries and move onto the next one
  • barbarajaneuk
    Options
    aokoye wrote: »
    I am embarking on a regime where I follow a known diet for 5 days, then switch to a completely new one! I am right at the beginning of my journey and started with the 5:2 diet (3:2 in my case!) on Friday I am switching to the Good Food's website healthy diet plan and then 5 days later I am switching to another one yet again.. I am hoping to do most of well known ones like Atkins, the Raw diet, Keto diet, Dukan etc... my aim is to do 16 diets over 80 days. I am hoping it will beat the boredom of the same type of food over and over and keep me motivated looking forward to the next one! Anyone ever done this.. I know a man did 10 diets in 50 days and lost over 30lbs so hoping for the same success!

Or you could just cook a wide variety of foods and stay in a calorie deficit. Probably less exhausting (or at the very least, less complicated logistically) while also be effective and interesting. I know when I get bored of having eating similar types of food (sometimes I'll get in a rut) I'll quickly think over what geographic areas I haven't had food from and go from there. So say I've been making a lot of Japanese food and it's getting old, I'll make Cuban food the next week.

Also 30lbs to lose over the course of 50 days is an unhealthy rate of weight loss so I'd nix that goal of over 4lbs a week.

Don't get me wrong, I know cal counting works as do other diets..I lost over 48lbs a few years ago and kept a good chunk of it off doing a diet by slimming world where there is no calorie counting. I am not aiming to lose that amount and he was a large male who lost a lot initially then settled down to a more regular loss with each diet. I am a good cook and do recipes from all over the world, but sometimes I don't want to cook and plan, I just want to follow a set diet and that is where named ones come in.. like I said it's only a few weeks out my life so hardly going to impact me in the long term..
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    You might need to spend more than 5 days on each diet to truly see the effect of each of them. INteresting experiment, sounds exhausting but good on you for trying.

Maybe 15 days on each would be more realistic? In terms of all the fluctuations and stuff as others above have posted?

And I also don't get how choosing a different diet every 5 days is easier than counting calories and eating whatever you want within your caloric budget.

Keep us updated tho, I'm curious to see how you go! Good luck!

oh - and do you count weekends or are those "free"?
  • AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    Options
    Know what works.... Eating within your calorie goal and exercising.