Weight lifting for girls, beginner

khcrmo
khcrmo Posts: 40 Member
Does anyone have any suggestions on links to good beginner weight lifting routines for women? I've found lots of general information, but im lost at the gym in the free weights section. Id love some sort of plan to follow to get me started.
Im 5'4" 160lbs with about 30-35 to loose. I've been doing well with food logging for over a week and i want to start to build some muscle to help me along... Thank you!

Replies

• davidgruninger
    davidgruninger Posts: 5 Member
    You could also look into seeing a personal train once or twice a week and they will help with creating a program
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member

Yep! ^^ I personally started with Stronglifts 5X5 and loved it. It has a free app that tracks your exercises and weights for you, makes it super easy.
  • khcrmo

Yep! ^^ I personally started with Stronglifts 5X5 and loved it. It has a free app that tracks your exercises and weights for you, makes it super easy.

Thank you! I will look into it
  • khcrmo
    You could also look into seeing a personal train once or twice a week and they will help with creating a program

Yeah.... But that costs money...
    Thanks for the suggestion though
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    I started using resistance tubes and bands (mostly because walking is my preferred cardio and when I walked into a fitness store on impulse and asked for recommendations, they told me "tubes and bands or dumbbells" and I was 45 minutes from home on foot and wasn't sure how much I could carry back.) Around that time, I also began signing books on strength training out of the library to look through. I thought I had it narrowed down to three that seemed clear, straightforward, and non-intimidating to a newb like me so off I skipped to the bookstore to purchase one of them to own outright. And I bought a totally different one: Strength Training for Women by Joan Pagano. It's been a godsend.

The exercises are primarily dumbbells with some other equipment being used for a few exercises (mostly a stability ball and cardio step; there are some that require resistance tubes or bands, or ankle weights, or ask you to brace on a sturdy chair back). She includes multiple exercises for each muscle/group, so if you're looking to work your lats and the first exercise calls for a stability ball that you don't own, the second one might just require a chair.

The book also includes three sample full-body workouts of progressive difficulty levels and 4 weights-and-cardio workouts.

The major weakness is that she gives three levels for each exercise so a hypothetical progression might look like this:

Level I: 1-2 sets, 10 reps, 3lb dumbbells
    Level 2: 1-2 sets, 12-15 reps, 5-8lb dumbbells
    Level 3: 1-3 sets, 8-12 reps, 10-12lb dumbbells

And then, no instructions on what to do when you've mastered 3 sets of 12 reps with 12lbs.

Buried near the back of the book in a Q&A are instructions to "just keep adding on weights/sets/reps" but no guidance as to a good progression and, because this info is buried, I can see some people thinking, "I guess that's the maximum safe level and I should keep doing this forever." (Uh... no.) Other than that, it's been great for me.
  • wingweaver0730
    wingweaver0730 Posts: 8 Member
    There is an app for the phone called Jefit that will show you how to properly use weights so you do not hurt yourself, and since it seems like hiring a trainer is our of your budget at the moment.
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,716 Member
    There is an app for the phone called Jefit that will show you how to properly use weights so you do not hurt yourself, and since it seems like hiring a trainer is our of your budget at the moment.

Stronglifts 5x5 also has videos to demonstrate proper form. They are a good guide for beginners. That being said, I still think a couple of sessions with a trainer are worth the expense. Get you started off with good form and the proper weights for your current strength level.
  • Kathryn247
    Kathryn247 Posts: 570 Member
    I'm using Body By You by Mark Lauren, designed for women and easy to do at home with little/no equipment.
    The link Chef Barbell posted is great to look at the options.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    khcrmo wrote: »
    Does anyone have any suggestions on links to good beginner weight lifting routines for women? I've found lots of general information, but im lost at the gym in the free weights section. Id love some sort of plan to follow to get me started.
    Im 5'4" 160lbs with about 30-35 to loose. I've been doing well with food logging for over a week and i want to start to build some muscle to help me along... Thank you!

just know that since you are trying to lose weight you wont build any appreciable muscle while in a deficit. you may gain some(newbie gains,getting back to lifting if you did it before,etc) but it will most likely slack off and it wont be a lot to make any big difference in calorie burns if thats what you are going for . fat/weight comes off in a deficit and to build appreciable muscle it takes a surplus and with that comes fat gain. continue to lift while losing weight and get enough protein to maintain any lean mass/muscle you have now and it will also change how your body looks.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,257 Member
    khcrmo wrote: »

Yeah.... But that costs money...
    Thanks for the suggestion though

If you're new to it (or haven't lifted in 20 years like me), it's well worth it. I paid for one hour to get a program that I could get started on. Yesterday, I walked over to do something and some old guy looked at me and said, "Your deadlift form is excellent." Made. My. Day. Especially because you'll eventually be adding weight, you don't want to have improper form. See if you can swing just a session or two. If not, there are lots of good suggestions for how to access good form here, and then you can use mirrors at the gym to check.
  • cogirljb55
    cogirljb55 Posts: 155 Member

Yes, I'm all about Stronglifts 5x5 as well!! I also found a lot of info on Youtube to help with form. My favorite when I need answers on something is AthleanX. He explains things so well!!!
  • Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    I'll be honest I've never understood why there needed to be women specific beginner lifting programs.

For all our differences, men and women have all the same muscle groups and bone structure so would to my completely untrained thinking would need and benefit from the same few compound movements from the generic programs (5x5, SS, etc).

That said I'm far from an expert so there's a good chance that I'm missing something here.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Danp wrote: »
    I'll be honest I've never understood why there needed to be women specific beginner lifting programs.

For all our differences, men and women have all the same muscle groups and bone structure so would to my completely untrained thinking would need and benefit from the same few compound movements from the generic programs (5x5, SS, etc).

That said I'm far from an expert so there's a good chance that I'm missing something here.

You're not missing anything.

@khcrmo Don't be afraid of the weights section! You will not get bulky, and the same big compound lifts which are good for men are great for women too. You've gotten some good advice, pick a basic program, watch some videos, and go for it!

If your gym offers a free training session or if you can get an introductory training session to start, that can also help you get over gym nerves and feel like you know what you're doing. Remember, everyone you see at the gym was new once!
  • 11Templars
    11Templars Posts: 444 Member
    It's been said already, but as someone who has lifted for some time (years) I can say with all confidence that there is no "lifting for girls". You either lift, or you don't.

I hear lots of woman say "I don't want to get bulky"... I wouldn't worry too much about that. A.) you lack the necessary ingredients to get "bulky", and B) it's not that easy for guys to get bulky (naturally) so you're all good there.

As someone pointed out, 5x5 is a great place to start. Through me a DM and I'll help you with a plan if you like too.. What kind of time do you have to dedicate to this?

Cheers,
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    If you find going into a barbell programme at the beginning too taxing, think of doing a bodyweight, or dumbbell programme first (also in the list posted above).
    Then, move onto a barbell programme once you are conditioned.

Also, if you find a linear progression programme (5x5, 3x5) isn’t for you, have a look at AllPro.

Cheers, h.
  • khcrmo
    Thanks so much everybody! Ive got a lot to look into now. I appreciate all of the info and resources. And i guess i should have titled my post differently. I know there is no such thing as weight lifting 'for girls'. I guess just was trying to give context about my starting point and my goals. Again thank you all so much for being so encouraging!!!!
  • Nama_Slay38
    Nama_Slay38 Posts: 178 Member
    11Templars wrote: »
    It's been said already, but as someone who has lifted for some time (years) I can say with all confidence that there is no "lifting for girls". You either lift, or you don't.

I hear lots of woman say "I don't want to get bulky"... I wouldn't worry too much about that. A.) you lack the necessary ingredients to get "bulky", and B) it's not that easy for guys to get bulky (naturally) so you're all good there.

As someone pointed out, 5x5 is a great place to start. Through me a DM and I'll help you with a plan if you like too.. What kind of time do you have to dedicate to this?

Cheers,

This! Hit the nail right on the head!
  • trokey2110
    trokey2110 Posts: 25 Member
    Hi there’s an app called bodybulding.com it’s free don’t be phased by the name. It breaks the body down into specific areas you want to hit..good luck 👍