Feeling discouraged. Help

Options
Feeling very discouraged! I have been eating right, and going to the gym atleast 3 times a week. I weighed myself this morning and I gained 3lbs. How can this be?! I have been working so hard to loose these 10 lbs and here I am gaining 3 more. I want to give up! Any one that can give me some words of advice or encouragement would be greatly appreciated

Replies

• Soul_mate
    Soul_mate Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I think if you have lost 10LBS that means you are aware what is and how much intake is right so not questioning that, However as all said fluctuations of 2-3 lbs should not be very material, unless it keeps increasing.. You must adopt interval measurement to stay motivated.. decrease frequency of your weighting yourself.. if u do it daily do it weekly.. if u do it weekly.. do it fortnight.
  • JBanx256
    JBanx256 Posts: 1,471 Member
    Options
    According to Dr. Mike Israetel and literally 5 other PhD's who wrote The Renaissance Diet 2.0 (which, FWIW, is what my current nutrition is based on):

Average weight should be compared week to week using two to three weigh-in data points.

So even if you're not weighing yourself every day, at least 2-3x per week will give you the most accurate overall idea of your weight trends etc. I personally do like the Happy Scale app due to the good visual chart it updates daily. If you're just weighing yourself once every couple of weeks, one meal could pretty much sabotage you - eat too much sodium etc the night before you weigh and you're going to be devastated when you step on the scale and see your weight is up after a couple weeks of hard work. Whereas if you weighed and were heavier than anticipated, and you went "oh well that sucks..." but you know due to seeing the trend/pattern as it emerges, you won't panic and you're confident you'll be right back on track by the next weigh-in.
  • Soul_mate
    Soul_mate Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    JBanx256 wrote: »
    According to Dr. Mike Israetel and literally 5 other PhD's who wrote The Renaissance Diet 2.0 (which, FWIW, is what my current nutrition is based on):

Average weight should be compared week to week using two to three weigh-in data points.

So even if you're not weighing yourself every day, at least 2-3x per week will give you the most accurate overall idea of your weight trends etc. I personally do like the Happy Scale app due to the good visual chart it updates daily. If you're just weighing yourself once every couple of weeks, one meal could pretty much sabotage you - eat too much sodium etc the night before you weigh and you're going to be devastated when you step on the scale and see your weight is up after a couple weeks of hard work. Whereas if you weighed and were heavier than anticipated, and you went "oh well that sucks..." but you know due to seeing the trend/pattern as it emerges, you won't panic and you're confident you'll be right back on track by the next weigh-in.

Oh Great information and I am sorry having called u man.. But let me be very clear that I strongly oppose Gender or racial discrimination.. I feel strength of a person shouldn't be judged by Gender or any prejudiced criteria.. .. N thanks for the good info.. I shall follow this..
  • Chaos_Angel
    Chaos_Angel Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Don't freak out unless it's like 6lbs change lol XD that's indication of a definite recent disturbance XD 2lbs is so easy to fluctuate though don't worry
  • kassondrah2
    kassondrah2 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone! Feel better already
  • CharlieCharlie007
    CharlieCharlie007 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    It is impossible to gain 3 pounds of fat overnight. You would have to eat 13000 calories over. Scales are useless on a day to day basis. get that monkey off your back and weight yourself once every two weeks.
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I stayed right within my calorie limit yesterday and gained a pound overnight. I suspect it was from the salt in my Burmese lunch. That’s why I weigh daily. To get used to these fluctuations. (And I’ve been weighing daily for years, but nobody likes a weight gain when they’re actively engaged in maintaining or losing).