Tracking runs, bike routes, etc without a smartphone

Options
2»

Replies

• TinManJoe
    TinManJoe Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Both, really. Having it simply track where I've been and sync up later on is how it would primarily be useful, but it would also be tremendous if I were able to plan a route ahead of time and load it to Ionic.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    TinManJoe wrote: »
    Having it simply track where I've been and sync up later on is how it would primarily be useful

Most any GPS device will do this, including the Ionic.

it would also be tremendous if I were able to plan a route ahead of time and load it to Ionic.

Far fewer devices will do this... and I'm not sure if the Ionic can or not. If you already have the watch, you should know (or be able to figure out fairly quickly) whether or not it can. A quick scan of the fitbit site suggests that it does NOT.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Options
    O
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    Having it simply track where I've been and sync up later on is how it would primarily be useful

it would also be tremendous if I were able to plan a route ahead of time and load it to Ionic.

Far fewer devices will do this... and I'm not sure if the Ionic can or not. If you already have the watch, you should know (or be able to figure out fairly quickly) whether or not it can. A quick scan of the fitbit site suggests that it does NOT.

This is correct. The Ionic does not inherently allow for downloading a route. However, Fitbit does have an app “store” (similar to Garmin’s connect IQ) and there may be something available there.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options

I think even with Garmin you need a pretty high end version.

My 3HR does not allow me to plan my route ahead of time. I think in the Fenix series only the 5X does, and it's expensive (over a grand Cdn). Not sure about the Forerunner series.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    You can plan a route ahead of time in Garmin Connect, sync it to your Fenix 3, and have the watch guide you through it. I've done it plenty of times.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options

My 3HR does not allow me to plan my route ahead of time. I think in the Fenix series only the 5X does, and it's expensive (over a grand Cdn). Not sure about the Forerunner series.

I have the Fenix 5s and it doesn’t have the mapping either. On this (and my previous Fenix 2) I can send a route ahead of time and I’ll get pretty little arrows telling me when to turn - but it looks like the screen it drawns when you do a hike (just a line-no landmarks or anything). So it’s sort of like ghost directions and I wonder if my watch really KNOWS where I am and if I should really turn at this tree. So it’ll do it-but given how much I get lost, I’m seriosuly considering an upgrade to the 5s plus.

It’s also entirely possible that I have no idea how to operate the route things on my watch.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options

I have the Fenix 5s and it doesn’t have the mapping either. On this (and my previous Fenix 2) I can send a route ahead of time and I’ll get pretty little arrows telling me when to turn - but it looks like the screen it drawns when you do a hike (just a line-no landmarks or anything). So it’s sort of like ghost directions and I wonder if my watch really KNOWS where I am and if I should really turn at this tree. So it’ll do it-but given how much I get lost, I’m seriosuly considering an upgrade to the 5s plus.

It’s also entirely possible that I have no idea how to operate the route things on my watch.

I don't know the ins and outs of garmin devices that well... but there are some that just do tracking, some that do routing, and some that do routing/mapping. You could very well have one that only does routing but not mapping.