Race Etiquette

Options
I find most runners to be very polite and considerate of each other. However, one etiquette breach continues to annoy.

At the start of the race, everyone gathers at the start line. Logically, the fast runners should gather at the front, the slow runners and walkers at the back, right? So it never fails that the first 5 minutes of any race are spent precariously dodging around people who line up towards the front and either run very slowly or start walking within a minute! I’m basically a middle of the pack runner and line up accordingly.

Replies

• RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Yes, pretty annoying. And then they wonder why they about get ran over.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I find most runners to be very polite and considerate of each other. However, one etiquette breach continues to annoy.

At the start of the race, everyone gathers at the start line. Logically, the fast runners should gather at the front, the slow runners and walkers at the back, right? So it never fails that the first 5 minutes of any race are spent precariously dodging around people who line up towards the front and either run very slowly or start walking within a minute! I’m basically a middle of the pack runner and line up accordingly.

It drives me nuts when people don't pay attention to which corral they belong in, especially at a bigger race where some people are running for prize money and/or athletic scholarship eligibility.
  • johnna1212
    johnna1212 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    The women who have their little darlings in their strollers, who line up near the front or middle of the pack. yes, you may run faster than me, but for goodness sake, stay towards the back for every bodies safety. You can pass the slower people as the pack thins out.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    The women who have their little darlings in their strollers, who line up near the front or middle of the pack. yes, you may run faster than me, but for goodness sake, stay towards the back for every bodies safety. You can pass the slower people as the pack thins out.

I run with a jogging stroller. Calling me a woman is kind of an insult, just to let you know.

I always start at the very back whenever I have my jogging stroller, or as I call it death-mobile. I don't care about winning or anything else, just my time. Racing though the crowd at the start is an extra challenge. They don't expect some fat guy pushing a stroller popping a wheelie two screaming kids to go faster flying by you.
  • cdprouty
    cdprouty Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    This is the direct result of the new running fads. Everyone is a runner nowadays thanks to the plenitude of Color, Fire, Warrior, Water, Donut, Titan, Spartan, Grecian, Penguin, and Sumo runs. People don't grow into running anymore.

When you go through the 5K, 10K, Half, Full and once a year Turkey Trot progression...you mature as a runner and figure this stuff out.

But now, race starts are more like doors open at Walmart the day after Thanksgiving.

Let's make it our responsibility to educate new runners and race directors to help people along...help them figure out what's what at the start...we'll all be better off.
  • smerkord
    smerkord Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I probably don't notice this issue since I start where I am supposed to, which is not in the front. In fact, if marked, I start at the point marked for about 30 seconds slower than my projected pace ( I figure I can make it up) If not marked, I go mid back of the pack since that is usually where I finish.
  • RGv2
    Options

It drives me nuts when people don't pay attention to which corral they belong in, especially at a bigger race where some people are running for prize money and/or athletic scholarship eligibility.

Ya, I lost 1:45 or 1:30 in a non-chip timed 5k because of this. I was in the front when the gun went, but a ton of people rolled down off of a hill and cut us all off. I think that cost me 3rd place. I actually ran a pretty decent race too, mostly on adrenaline from being so pissed.
  • silvergurl518
    silvergurl518 Posts: 4,123 Member
    Options
    Everyone is a runner nowadays thanks to the plenitude of Color, Fire, Warrior, Water, Donut, Titan, Spartan, Grecian, Penguin, and Sumo runs. People don't grow into running anymore.

When you go through the 5K, 10K, Half, Full and once a year Turkey Trot progression...you mature as a runner and figure this stuff out.

But now, race starts are more like doors open at Walmart the day after Thanksgiving.

giggle. you do speak the truth :)
  • Zomoniac
    Zomoniac Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Most of the races I enter tend to be penned, so the faster you are the further forward you start. Naturally, everyone abuses this, but at least they try.

My one gripe, and this will probably get me lynched, is that the wheelchair competitors start at the front. They're three feet lower down than everyone else and going slower, in a crowded pack you often don't see them until you're a yard behind them, it strikes me as very dangerous for both the runners and the chair racers. I've had to suddenly leap sideways when one has suddenly appeared in front of me before and collide with another oncoming runner.

Oh, and fancy dress runners where two people tie themselves together with rope at the ankles, and then seem surprised that half the field has gone flying. No idea how the race officiators even allow that.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

They're probably people running their first race. I was very unaware of this rule in the beginning and while I realize it's logical, it isn't on a first-timer's mind.
  • Liz_Mfp
    Liz_Mfp Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I hope they don't know better.
    Some of us are slow-learners.

I know to start in the back with the baby strollers :-)
  • TyTy76
    TyTy76 Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options
    so-sad.gif
  • smerkord
    smerkord Posts: 101 Member
    Options

I run with a jogging stroller. Calling me a woman is kind of an insult, just to let you know.

In my experience, I see more men with jogging strollers than I see women with the strollers. Generally I see them passing me, but I am okay with that.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    My one gripe, and this will probably get me lynched, is that the wheelchair competitors start at the front. They're three feet lower down than everyone else and going slower, in a crowded pack you often don't see them until you're a yard behind them, it strikes me as very dangerous for both the runners and the chair racers. I've had to suddenly leap sideways when one has suddenly appeared in front of me before and collide with another oncoming runner.

This is a tough one because the faster chair racers are a LOT faster than even the fastest runners. Start all the chair after the runners and they would be mowing people down from behind. I think given the circumstances, it's safer to have the runners overtake the slower chairs than the other way around.
  • RGv2
    Options

This is a tough one because the faster chair racers are a LOT faster than even the fastest runners. Start all the chair after the runners and they would be mowing people down from behind. I think given the circumstances, it's safer to have the runners overtake the slower chairs than the other way around.

Agreed.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    They used to announce at the beginning of mass participation races that if you need to slow down or walk you should move to the left. That was really helpful. Don't know why they dropped that.
  • Lyerin
    Lyerin Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    I start in the middle to the back of the pack because I don't want to hold anyone up. I ran a 5K recently where they announced at least twice before the race for the walkers and run/walkers to be in the back. A lot of people totally didn't listen to that, and it was somewhat annoying. I'm not super fast or anything but at the very beginning when I had to dodge and weave around several groups of walkers, it was really annoying. I certainly don't mind that they are walking the 5K, hey, good for them for getting out there and doing it, but they should have listened and started in the back.
  • K_Serz
    K_Serz Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    Everyone is a runner nowadays thanks to the plenitude of Color, Fire, Warrior, Water, Donut, Titan, Spartan, Grecian, Penguin, and Sumo runs. People don't grow into running anymore.

giggle. you do speak the truth :)

happy-black-friday-o.gif
  • Zomoniac
    Zomoniac Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options

Fair enough, I hadn't realised that. Because they start at the front the fastest ones must've disappeared before I've even got near the start line, so I only notice the ones that are slow and hazardous!