Race Etiquette

Options

Replies

• unhgoose
    unhgoose Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    This is very true. I've only done a few races and would have been one of the annoying slow people if my step-mom, who is an experienced racer, hadn't let me know I should start towards the back. Sometimes people just don't know any better.

ETA - I forgot the quote - this was in response to the person who said we should focus on educating new runners who were brought to the sport via color, etc...
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    I think it's an awareness that some people lack, either because they've never raced before, or they just don't race with any seriousness. Most of the time, etiquette like that is gotten through experience and interaction with the community, and many times, people like that aren't really a part of the community; they just race randomly as a fun hobby.

I just assume that people like that don't know any better, and move on. The world's not going to end if I have to work a bit around slower people now and then.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    I just assume that people like that don't know any better, and move on. The world's not going to end if I have to work a bit around slower people now and then.

That's fine, but it can affect the more experienced runner that is there for time, awards, and money. It has happened to me before.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options

That's fine, but it can affect the more experienced runner that is there for time, awards, and money. It has happened to me before.

God gave you two elbows, my friend.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

God gave you two elbows, my friend.

lol trooft- total troof
  • Chemburly12
    Options
    Good to know. I've been running for the last year (just at the gym and around my neighborhood) and really want to do a 5K. This is something I would have never thought of. Thanks!
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Good to know. I've been running for the last year (just at the gym and around my neighborhood) and really want to do a 5K. This is something I would have never thought of. Thanks!

If it's obvious that you are trying in earnest, and are mindful of others, like staying to the left, you'll be fine.

ETA- or right, whichever gets you out of the flow of traffic.
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    The only races I've run in had, if not corrals, at least a marker for pace times. Obviously, people will lie, but I don't see the point, especially in chip timed races. Being at the front won't necessarily affect your time since your official time won't start until after you've crossed the start. My first 5K, I started just behind my practice pace, the same for my next, and, at my first 10K (which I signed up for well before I'd ever run a race or anything, so I put in a slow pace time), I was further back than I should've been. I still made a time I was incredibly happy with. I started the race 13 minutes AFTER the "official" start time! (7,000+ runners.)

And, at my last 5K, there was a 6 year old girl running with her mom, not paying attention tripping people up, and I got tripped up with her. It was incredibly annoying, and potentially dangerous.
  • ze_hombre
    ze_hombre Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    This is why I don't like doing big group runs anymore. If the race isn't timed I really don't want to join. The timed races *seem* to filter out some of the slower and inexperienced runners. Unfortunately my wife likes doing the Color runs and whatnot.

Worst thing I saw was at one of the bigger 5k's was a group of teenagers elbow locked blocking the whole trail. Guy in front of me blew threw them Red Rover style. When they started yelling at him he yelled back 'Its a race. If you don't like it catch me and kick my a**". I nearly lost it.

ETA: By timed I mean ankle chip timers for individuals.
  • hypotrochoid
    hypotrochoid Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    I'll take strollers and slow runners over dogs any day. I've been tripped up by leashes in a couple races (why you need a long leash for a run, I don't know), and now will only enter ones that are dog free.
  • RGv2
    Options

Worst thing I saw was at one of the bigger 5k's was a group of teenagers elbow locked blocking the whole trail. Guy in front of me blew threw them Red Rover style. When they started yelling at him he yelled back 'Its a race. If you don't like it catch me and kick my a**". I nearly lost it.

ETA: By timed I mean ankle chip timers for individuals.

I would have done the same thing
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    The only races I've run in had, if not corrals, at least a marker for pace times. Obviously, people will lie, but I don't see the point, especially in chip times races. Being at the front won't necessarily affect your time since your official time won't start until after you've crossed the start. My first 5K, I started just behind my practice pace, the same for my next, and, at my first 10K (which I signed up for well before I'd ever run a race or anything, so I put in a slow pace time), I was further back than I should've been. I still made a time I was incredibly happy with. I started the race 13 minutes AFTER the "official" start time! (7,000+ runners.)

And, at my last 5K, there was a 6 year old girl running with her mom, not paying attention tripping people up, and I got tripped up with her. It was incredibly annoying, and potentially dangerous.

This is good to know, I have had a broken neck and back surgery so falls are not good for me. I'm really glad parents are out with their children and being active but parenting always comes first.
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    I'll take strollers and slow runners over dogs any day. I've been tripped up by leashes in a couple races (why you need a long leash for a run, I don't know), and now will only enter ones that are dog free.

Long leashes are stupid for running with a dog. One of my dogs runs with me and I make her heel so she doesn't trip me or anyone else. Not to mention herding the ducks by the lake we run near and pulling me in. That's just rude behavior for dog owner's. If she can't run under control then she can't run with me, that's my rule.

Although I was really annoyed when someone walking once let their dog try to take us both out with one of those retractable leashes and then tell us we shouldn't be running through a public park.
  • runamym
    runamym Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    The thing that really annoys the hell outta me are the banana costume/frozen yogurt costume guys that have the nerve to pass me!!! :wink: GRRRR!! Don't they know they are supposed to make me feel better by going slower than me! I mean, come on... they are in full costume in 90 degree weather - look like they are running 7 min/miles! Damn them! :sad:
    Oh wait, I guess their marketing technique worked --- after all, I'm supposed to run after and catch the fro yo guy!

All kidding aside... I'm actually inspired and happy to see ALL the different kinds of people at races. There are SO many friends of mine that shy away from races (even tho they are run/walkers) b/c they think races are for really fast runners. I keep trying to tell them about the spirit at races -- the feeling of adrenaline pumping in your body at the starting line -- the magic in the air.... that you feel sooo proud of yourself when you finish. That racing is addictive b/c it's the best high in the world. But they are so timid about looking like they are newbies or looking like they are turtles. But I LOVE seeing ALL kinds of runners/walkers at races b/c they are getting out there and TRYING! And who knows where their first race will lead them to next!?! EVERYONE was once a beginner at everything! Let's give others grace and welcome them to the sport - wherever they are in their training!

That said, if you are very serious about your time - stick to races that are well-managed, well-designed races with many race directors or a race board of directors (a race that has many years of experience in the city).... those have corrals and many volunteers in the corrals policing people and checking bibs. Those are the more expensive races for a reason -- all the support they have there is worth it.
    I really don't expect a PR for a popular "fun" 5K like St. Patrick's Day/parade race... a race like that will draw many new runners/walkers.
  • RGv2
    Options
    That said, if you are very serious about your time - stick to races that are well-managed, well-designed races with many race directors or a race board of directors (a race that has many years of experience in the city).... those have corrals and many volunteers in the corrals policing people and checking bibs. Those are the more expensive races for a reason -- all the support they have there is worth it.

That's easy to say if you have many of these races available to you. I've run hundreds of races, competitively, only 3 with corals.

Once again, easier said than done.
  • runamym
    Options
    That's easy to say if you have many of these races available to you. I've run hundreds of races, competitively, only 3 with corals.

Once again, easier said than done.
    [/quote]

Gotcha! Yeah I live in a major metropolitan area that has about 5 races every weekend.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    My only pet peeve is this...don't dash across the course to high five your friend right in front of me and come to a complete stop.

In this case it was a female who was lucky I did not plow into her and send her 20 feet down the course. I nearly killed myself to avoid doing so and blessed out both her and the guy after the face for being morons.
  • alienrite
    alienrite Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    As a very new runner/racer, it was very confusing for the first couple races. In my last ones (chip timed), they corral you according to your self reported pace. Despite me exceeding my anticipated pace 2 out of 3 times, I am completely floored at how many people race forward of me beyond their ability to sustain a pace only to fall back a mile later. I've taken to way underestimating myself for future races which are chip-timed since my position in the start has nothing to do with my time. All part of learning new things though...I still think races are a blast and cannot believe I waited so long to start.
  • natalie412
    natalie412 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    My very first 5K, I think I started towards the front. Started out really fast, then slowed down. Figured it out after that!
  • runamym
    Options
    As a very new runner/racer, it was very confusing for the first couple races. In my last ones (chip timed), they corral you according to your self reported pace. Despite me exceeding my anticipated pace 2 out of 3 times, I am completely floored at how many people race forward of me beyond their ability to sustain a pace only to fall back a mile later. I've taken to way underestimating myself for future races which are chip-timed since my position in the start has nothing to do with my time. All part of learning new things though...I still think races are a blast and cannot believe I waited so long to start.

Isn't racing awesome!!?? Welcome to the magical world of racing! It's addictive and the best high! I regret not becoming a runner until this late in life! I wish I had learned this in my teens or 20s!