Dieting when I like nothing healthy!!!

Options
1235»

Replies

• myfrogs11
    myfrogs11 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I hate oatmeal but eat it anyways because it's good for you. Don't like the texture of it, but I found out if it's thick and solid like, it's better. Gotta try ways you can handle it and then just do it.
  • sokkache
    sokkache Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I learn to like it. I gag when I eat foods I don't like (aka Onion and mushy vegetables and fruits). What I do is I stick it in my mouth and wash it down with water. That's only when I'm forced to eat it(family dinner, etc.) but whatever healthy foods I do like, I eat as much as I can of. Also, adding different sauces and toppings to things like peanut butter to apples or celery is a good way to start eating healthy.
  • addiec1
    addiec1 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    There are lots of cookbooks that are targeted to parents of picky kids. They include tips like grinding up carrots or zucchini into turkey burgers so you are getting the veggies. It makes the burgers more juicy too. Maybe look into one of those cookbooks.
  • jaycuepea
    Options
    Good advice!
  • TheBraveryLover
    TheBraveryLover Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    I think you might start eventually liking stuff the more you integrate it into your diet. My palate has changed a lot. Just off the top of my head, I used to not like peanut butter (now I'm in love), used to only like packaged oatmeal (now I only enjoy old fashioned oats), and didn't like too much meat on sandwiches and burgers (now you couldn't pay me to not ask for or cook extra meat). This has all changed in the last 2-3 years.

Try one thing you're not a fan of, and look through some recipes on here and see if you like it prepared a certain way. I'm almost certain that overtime, the more you read about stuff on here and see the delicious pics posted of it, you'll find yourself curious to try again and might eventually enjoy it.
  • elliewill18
    Options
    Hi Danielle,

Considering that you need to get rid of a belly fat I would advise the following:
    1 – The first and the main thing is to strengthen your abdominal muscles. If you are interested I can provide you with more info on exact exercises.
    2 - You need to eat if not vegetables than quite many fruits and dairy products (e.g. yogurts and yogurt drinks). And less floury goods like bread, pizza, pasta etc.

I hope this helps ;)
    Good luck!
  • Vivian06703188
    Vivian06703188 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Every few years peoples taste buds change. Thing you didn't like a few years ago you may love now. So you need to try different things and then try them again after a few years.
  • owieprone
    owieprone Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    My daughter (13) is a picky eater. I've been on a mission to find vegetables she will eat, and am cooking them different ways. I don't like brussel sprouts, but I want to. They taste different depending on how they are cooked. I still have hope that someday I'll find a recipe that I like.

My daughter's range is getting bigger for what she'll eat now. I don't like fish either. I wish I did. Doesn't mean I still won't try it on occasion. I kinda like it if it's fried, so goodbye healthy benefits with that one.

I wouldn't worry too much about your daughters veg intake just now, I was an extremely fussy eater as a child, it took me until late 20's to develop palate that could deal with the food that i couldn't stand when i was a child (most of it was texture orientated but some like tomatoes and mushrooms i still can't eat as i don't like the texture or the taste). She will probably grow out of it, the best thing to do is NOT make a massive fuss about it, my dad was a complete and utter nightmare and made dinner hell for me as he couldn't understand why i didn' tlike things or almost threw up (usually ended up throwing up properly).

My MIL was very understanding when she first met me and made sure there were alternatives for me, but let me try her plate to see if i now liked things. She has reduced my dislikes massively, i now eat most berries (i never ate any!) my step mum got me to like strawberries by putting black pepper on them to bring out the taste (trust me it works! just an all over sprinkle, leave for 10 mins or so and they taste amazing!). There are still things i don't like or they have to be a particular persons version for me to eat it (aunt's lasagne or MILs rhubarb crumble) but i eat far more veg now too. i used to hate brussel sprouts but i love them now, still hate tomatoes unless they are in soup or sauce form, and mushrooms are just filth ;)

I'm stil bad with fruit as i have to be in the mood for other things, but i eat an apple and a nana everyday. i make sure my veg is my biggest intake and make sure there are at least 2 different ones in my dinner, i eat celery and/or carrots and pb for my snack at work.

as long as your are getting enough vits and minerals from your food then there is no reason to have a large list of things you will eat as long as you can make the things you do not get too boring. I make sure i have multivits and EAA's supplements a few times a week just in case (no one needs to take them more than that, everything you need should come from diet primarily, supplements are just that, added extras for those of us who can't eat what we need to). I also have protein shakes once to twice a day just to avoid having to think about trying to find something quick and healthy for a meal or for early brekkie when food is just not needed yet.

btw, you don't need to eat fish, just up your flax (linseed) intake, there are plenty of other and better sources for what fish provide just google it. Seafood is one of the worst managed and biggest environmentally damaging commercial foods out there (read Taras Grescoes - Dead Seas). If you don't catch it yourself or just eat 'cod' or tinned rubbish then most of the time it's not worth eating. I don't like it, but if i did i wouldn't touch it with someone elses.

good luck with your daughter and OP you too! :D