help getting membrane off boiled eggs please

Replies

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited January 2019
    Your eggs are too fresh

I've had this problem with eggs that are a month or two old as well. Although they were dead fresh out of a chicken's caboose when I got them, as opposed to what your get at the store, which are not the freshest.

I've heard they are about 45 days old by the time you buy them at the store. Also eggs last a really long time in the fridge, like months on months.
    Eggs are not that old in the store.

Look at the stamp on the carton. There is a 3 digit number which lists the day of the year the eggs were laid on (001-365) and you can get a feel for how old the eggs are. I just bought a carton of 18 eggs with a date of 003 which means that they were laid on the third day of the year. They were bought on Jan 18 and were laid on Jan. 3rd so they were about 2 weeks since being laid, which is average. The expiration date is usually 45 days after the "laid on" date and is the last day they can be sold. I try to not keep eggs more than 2 weeks past the expiration date and have had some that failed the float test because they were so old.
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    earlnabby wrote: »
    Your eggs are too fresh

I've had this problem with eggs that are a month or two old as well. Although they were dead fresh out of a chicken's caboose when I got them, as opposed to what your get at the store, which are not the freshest.

I've heard they are about 45 days old by the time you buy them at the store. Also eggs last a really long time in the fridge, like months on months.

Look at the stamp on the carton. There is a 3 digit number which lists the day of the year the eggs were laid on (001-365) and you can get a feel for how old the eggs are. I just bought a carton of 18 eggs with a date of 003 which means that they were laid on the third day of the year. They were bought on Jan 18 and were laid on Jan. 3rd so they were about 2 weeks since being laid, which is average. The expiration date is usually 45 days after the "laid on" date and is the last day they can be sold. I try to not keep eggs more than 2 weeks past the expiration date and have had some that failed the float test because they were so old.

That is insightful, thanks. Maybe it was UP TO 45 days old? Since that is when the expiry date is written? I just heard it.
  • earlnabby
    edited January 2019
    earlnabby wrote: »
    Your eggs are too fresh

That is insightful, thanks. Maybe it was UP TO 45 days old? Since that is when the expiry date is written? I just heard it.

I just double checked and the expiration date is 30 days after the 3 digit date so no eggs in the store should be more than 30 days old.
  • RetiredAndLovingIt
    RetiredAndLovingIt Posts: 1,394 Member
    I put my eggs in a steamer basket & steam for 15 minutes, rinse in cold water. Always peel perfectly!
  • Keepitkoi
    Keepitkoi Posts: 12 Member
    I pour my eggs in little water and a 20 Oz cup full of ice. They peel great
  • earlnabby
    I do the ice bath. It is a really good excuse to empty out the ice maker bin in the freezer so all ice is fresher. I used to do tap cold water before I bought a new refrigerator which worked just as well.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    edited January 2019
    my ex who was a chef, for what its worth, taught me to bring them to a boil, let them sit in the pot for 10 minutes with heat off. change them to cool water, then crack the eggs all around and let them soak for about 10 minutes. peel under running water. peels off perfectly for me every time
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,974 Member
    Your eggs are too fresh

Anyway, take my advice with a grain of salt as I don't boil eggs and don't eat boiled eggs. I thought everyone put them in an ice bath after, it's what they do on all the cooking shows and youtube reviews. I think it helps.

I don't put them in an ice bath and have not heard of that before..
    But, as mentioned before, I do put them in cold water for a bit - 5 - 10 minutes. Which I guess is same principle.
  • SFJULES66
    SFJULES66 Posts: 168 Member
    Use a pressure cooker or an Instapot.
  • IsETHome
    IsETHome Posts: 386 Member
    edited January 2019
    After boiling to desired hardness, Put eggs in cold water, crack the wide bottom by tapping on counter, back in the cold water, wait10 mins, should come off easily, start at wide bottom that you cracked.
  • IsETHome
    IsETHome Posts: 386 Member
    Has anyone tried these? Because I am tempted! I hate peeling hard-boiled eggs.

z3cuh3jf8oqk.jpg

Picked up a brand new set at thrift store, will get creative soon.
  • bernadettenz
    bernadettenz Posts: 252 Member
    I really really LOVE peeling eggs!
    It's the best thing to do in the kitchen.
    I wish I could peel everyone's eggs for them.
  • earlnabby
    Your eggs are too fresh

Anyway, take my advice with a grain of salt as I don't boil eggs and don't eat boiled eggs. I thought everyone put them in an ice bath after, it's what they do on all the cooking shows and youtube reviews. I think it helps.

I don't put them in an ice bath and have not heard of that before..
    But, as mentioned before, I do put them in cold water for a bit - 5 - 10 minutes. Which I guess is same principle.

I have used both ice and tap cold water and have not noticed any significant difference. The quick chilling is what is important.
  • judymprince
    judymprince Posts: 1 Member
    Start eggs in cool water. Water level should be 1-2 inches above eggs. Bring to boil. Cover. Turn off heat. Let sit for 12 min. Move eggs to ice bath. Keep in ice bath 10 minutes. Peel immediately. Eggs have been perfect EVERY time.
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    edited January 2019
    Steam them. 1/4" of water in the pan. Cook covered, same times.
  • sierraleigh1
    sierraleigh1 Posts: 18 Member
    I use my instant pot with an egg rack. The shells pretty much falls off the egg. Perfect eggs everytime. I struggled with them before. Ugh
  • smcurtis1981
    smcurtis1981 Posts: 53 Member
    IsETHome wrote: »

z3cuh3jf8oqk.jpg

Good luck, I had a set and they were terrible! The eggs didn't just pop out nicely like they advertise, I had to scrape them out with a knife :( very disappointing
  • earlnabby
    IsETHome wrote: »

z3cuh3jf8oqk.jpg

Good luck, I had a set and they were terrible! The eggs didn't just pop out nicely like they advertise, I had to scrape them out with a knife :( very disappointing

Yeah you kind of wonder why an item newly on the market is already in a thrift store
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,052 Member
    Warning: totally unhelpful post... when daughter #1 graduated HS, we had a lunch with soft boiled egg crostini w delicious ricotta spread for which we needed ~3doz soft boiled eggs. Seriously, I ruined about 3 doz to get 3 doz. used ice bath, but damn... at one point I’m standing at the sink stuffing ruined eggs in my mouth as fast as I can peel them. I easily ate a doz single handedly. I might have switched to eating whites only after a doz. Now I have an instant pot and they’re perfect every time. Boy, I wish I had had it back then.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,974 Member
    even less helpful post, not to mention even less relevant..

but anyway....

when my husband was young and stupid and microwaves were a new invention - he tried boiling an egg in one.

Do not try this at home unless you like scraping exploded egg bits off your walls :*:s:s:o