help getting membrane off boiled eggs please

Options
gothchiq
gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
I peel boiled eggs under running water, yet sometimes that membrane still will not come off. I hate it. It squeaks under my teeth. Does anyone have a foolproof, or even just fairly reliable way to get rid of this stupid membrane without ripping off half the eggwhite also?

Replies

• French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Ugh. Following.
  • Mithridites
    Mithridites Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Your eggs are too fresh
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Your eggs are too fresh

I've had this problem with eggs that are a month or two old as well. Although they were dead fresh out of a chicken's caboose when I got them, as opposed to what your get at the store, which are not the freshest.
  • hawkmancody
    hawkmancody Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I have never had that problem with any of my hardboiled eggs. Do you like your eggs boiled soft or hard?
  • gothchiq
    Options
    These were from the good ol' Food Lion. I've heard they peel better if you put vinegar in the water when boiling, which I guess I could try, but that membrane just makes me crazy lol.
  • gothchiq
    Options
    Hawkman, I boil them hard so I can transport them to work for snacks without creating a mess.
  • mgookin
    mgookin Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I boil my eggs with vinegar and some salt and dont have any issues. Ever rare once in awhile I get a stubborn one. I just cut it in half, remove the membrane and eat that egg the same day.
  • gothchiq
    Options
    Vinegar and salt. Got it, thank you. Will do this tomorrow AM when getting my lunch ready.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,259 Member
    Options
    One trick I learned that almost always works is to tap a spoon onto the fat end (where the membrane pulls away from the shell inside) so that it creates a little dent. It's even OK if it sort of cracks because you're just giving it a quick whack. Boil as usual, rinse in cold (I dump ice on mine to speed it up). They should peel better. I get my eggs from a guy at work who has chickens, and this works really well for fresh eggs. Maybe it will work for you? :smile:
  • Erik8484
    Erik8484 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    I got better results when I:
    1. put my eggs in the saucepan from the get-go, rather than waiting for the saucepan to boil, and then dropping the eggs in
    2. dropped the eggs in cold water after.

I don't think that change elimited the problem alltogether, but it did reduce how often it happened.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    gothchiq wrote: »
    I peel boiled eggs under running water, yet sometimes that membrane still will not come off. I hate it. It squeaks under my teeth. Does anyone have a foolproof, or even just fairly reliable way to get rid of this stupid membrane without ripping off half the eggwhite also?

First, make sure your eggs are not real fresh. I like to buy mine at least a week before I hard cook them. This is especially important if you are making deviled eggs, The yolk of older eggs will be more in the center of the egg rather than closer to the air sac. The membrane is more likely to cling to the shell.

Second, poke a pinhole with something like a darning needle in the large end of each egg before cooking it. It helps prevent cracking if you use a boiling water start but it seems to help in peeling too.

I have tried vinegar, salt, baking soda, etc in the water and none have helped.
  • bishopjulia
    bishopjulia Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    As a cook l boil eggs all the time. I usually run them under cold water for a while (5min) then the peel usually comes off smooth. Once in a while you just get a stubborn egg ☺️, otherwise it works eggsellent 😂
  • MIpiccolo
    MIpiccolo Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Do you have an instant pot? Every egg I’ve cooked in there comes out beautifully and peels easily, including the membrane
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Has anyone tried these? Because I am tempted! I hate peeling hard-boiled eggs.

z3cuh3jf8oqk.jpg
  • hawkmancody
    hawkmancody Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    gothchiq wrote: »
    Hawkman, I boil them hard so I can transport them to work for snacks without creating a mess.
    Hardboiled cut in half with a little salt is my favorite.

I boil my eggs by putting cold water in a pot along with however many eggs i need than i put it on the stove till it starts boiling,i start a 15 min timer after it starts to boil. After 15 min i take the boiling pot and put it in the sink. I then turn on the cold water and let it run till the eggs are cool.
  • amfmmama
    amfmmama Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    ice bath
  • foamking4u
    foamking4u Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I put salt in the water. After it boils put eggs in for 20 minutes.. take off and run under cold water.. when its not too hot to hold crack and peel. Never fails me
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    Options
    I just started using one of these. So far, all the eggs I have cooked in it peel really easily. I do cool them in an ice bath immediately after cooking.
    z4b4a2ubzfui.jpeg
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    I use the hot-start method followed by a 15 minute or so ice bath and have no issues with peeling or membranes, even with fresh eggs. I don't use salt, vinegar, or poke holes.

https://www.seriouseats.com/2014/05/the-secrets-to-peeling-hard-boiled-eggs.html
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    I put eggs in cold water heat up and boil for 10 mins then run under cold tap for at least 5 mins. Under cooked warm eggs don't peel easily.