help getting membrane off boiled eggs please

Replies

• pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I use the hot-start method followed by a 15 minute or so ice bath and have no issues with peeling or membranes, even with fresh eggs. I don't use salt, vinegar, or poke holes.

https://www.seriouseats.com/2014/05/the-secrets-to-peeling-hard-boiled-eggs.html

I use this method too. Perfect eggs, and no yucky grey ring around the yolk!
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Has anyone tried these? Because I am tempted! I hate peeling hard-boiled eggs.

z3cuh3jf8oqk.jpg

It gets pretty poor reviews and ended up on several "Worst "as seen on TV" 2018" lists. I was tempted too but it was a big "nope" for me.
  • margbarco
    margbarco Posts: 128 Member
    The trick is to boil the water first, then add the eggs.

I lower them into the pot with a spoon so they don’t crack. Good luck :)
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,961 Member
    Steam 'em. Bring water to boil, put eggs in steamer basket.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    I just started using one of these. So far, all the eggs I have cooked in it peel really easily. I do cool them in an ice bath immediately after cooking.
    z4b4a2ubzfui.jpeg

Yes, steaming is perfect. Used one of theses in a bnb on vaca and every egg peeled perfectly. I finally came up with my own hack because I didn’t really want another appliance. I use a metal veggie steamer basket in a large pan so it spreads out nearly flat. Put water in pan up to bottom of the basket. Put in eggs. Cover and turn on high for about 15 min. Cool and peel. Perfect eggs every time for 2 years. I’ve tried all the other methods described above and this is the ONLY one that works consistently for me.
  • jamlace
    jamlace Posts: 3 Member
    I just got this for Christmas and it is awesome! You put the egg in, cover with water, close and shake for 15-20 seconds. The ridges on the inside allow the shell to crack and allow water between the egg and the shell. Works like a charm every time and it is very inexpensive.

https://www.amazon.com/Iprimio-Hard-Boiled-Peeler-Cracker/dp/B077TX6N2H/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1547822471&sr=8-6&keywords=hard+boiled+egg+peeler
  • Susieq_1994
    Susieq_1994 Posts: 5,361 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I use the hot-start method followed by a 15 minute or so ice bath and have no issues with peeling or membranes, even with fresh eggs. I don't use salt, vinegar, or poke holes.

https://www.seriouseats.com/2014/05/the-secrets-to-peeling-hard-boiled-eggs.html

I use this too, and haven't had a hard-to-peel egg even once since I started cooking them this way.
  • Crafty_camper123
    Crafty_camper123 Posts: 1,440 Member
    Age your eggs.
    Store bought eggs- age them for about 3-4 weeks and you'll never have an issue. Farm fresh eggs? You could probably get away with 6-8 weeks or longer. (Since your store bought eggs are usually 2-3 weeks old by the time you buy them anyways). The older your egg is, the larger the air space between the shell and the membrane. That's what makes them easier to peel.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Thanks to all! I'll be trying the suggestions here.
  • whathapnd
    whathapnd Posts: 1,231 Member
    lorrpb wrote: »
    I just started using one of these. So far, all the eggs I have cooked in it peel really easily. I do cool them in an ice bath immediately after cooking.
    z4b4a2ubzfui.jpeg

Yes, steaming is perfect. Used one of theses in a bnb on vaca and every egg peeled perfectly. I finally came up with my own hack because I didn’t really want another appliance. I use a metal veggie steamer basket in a large pan so it spreads out nearly flat. Put water in pan up to bottom of the basket. Put in eggs. Cover and turn on high for about 15 min. Cool and peel. Perfect eggs every time for 2 years. I’ve tried all the other methods described above and this is the ONLY one that works consistently for me.

This is the method I've used for about eight years. The only difference is I set timer for 18 minutes. I then plunge in an ice bath using tongs to get each out. Eggs are always perfectly cooked and easy to peel.
  • tinadraper1967
    tinadraper1967 Posts: 7 Member
    I start with cold water, eggs submerged, bring to boil, cover, take off the heat. Let set for about 10 minutes, (my eggs are smallish from my chickens), then crack and cold water soak. When I peel, I roll them between my hands until the shell is really shattered. The membrane comes off with the shell.
  • jaymijones
    jaymijones Posts: 171 Member
    Get an instant pot or other pressure cooker. My eggs always peel easily, I could never get them out of the shell and membrane in one piece either. Drove me crazy! It’s not a problem with a pressure cooker, I don’t know why.
  • shrinkingletters
    shrinkingletters Posts: 1,008 Member
    I put my eggs in a pot with cold water and plenty of salt. I turn the heat up high, then as soon as it comes to a boil, I take it off the heat and cover it with a lid for 5-6 minutes, then drop them in an ice bath for another 5 minutes or so before peeling.

I honestly cannot recall a time that I had issues with the membrane, and my yolks always come out cooked but with just the right amount of creaminess.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    There are so many boiled egg threads on this site, and every time we get the same contradictions - start in cold water or start in hot water!! There just doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it. I start mine in cold water and cool slightly under tap water after boiling. No way could I do an ice bath or cool for 10 to 15 minutes as I see referred to here, because I like to eat my egg warm.
  • whathapnd
    whathapnd Posts: 1,231 Member
    TonyB0588 wrote: »
    No way could I do an ice bath or cool for 10 to 15 minutes as I see referred to here, because I like to eat my egg warm.

I don't let them cool completely unless I'm using for Deviled Eggs. The ice bath just stops the cooking. I usually boil 15-18 at a time, so place them in ice water so the cooking stops and the green ring doesn't form.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    I try once to get it off and if that does not work I just eat the sucker as is. I do not notice that membrane on the quail eggs that I prefer taste wise but not price wise.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,977 Member
    Interesting thread.

My own experience is that vinegar in the water ( about half teaspoon) stops the eggs cracking or at least stuff coming out if they do crack, whilst cooking.

I use eggs that are not too young and put them in warm water, then bring to boil then run under cold water for a bit, then leave soaking in cold water for bit longer.

They nearly always peel easily.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    I put the eggs in a pot with cold tap water. I bring it to a boil and then cook it 10 minutes. I then drain the hot water, cover the eggs with cold water for a few minutes. I crack the shells and put the eggs back in the water. Start peeling while the eggs are still very warm. Usually the shell just slides off easy. Sometimes I slide a spoon between the shell and egg. I rinse the eggs after peeling.

• ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    Your eggs are too fresh

I've had this problem with eggs that are a month or two old as well. Although they were dead fresh out of a chicken's caboose when I got them, as opposed to what your get at the store, which are not the freshest.

I've heard they are about 45 days old by the time you buy them at the store. Also eggs last a really long time in the fridge, like months on months.

Anyway, take my advice with a grain of salt as I don't boil eggs and don't eat boiled eggs. I thought everyone put them in an ice bath after, it's what they do on all the cooking shows and youtube reviews. I think it helps.