Question about my weight measurement, large stomach and hip dips

s1886x
s1886x Posts: 11 Member
edited January 2019 in Health and Weight Loss
Some stats: I am 22F, 5'7 (170cm) and 161lbs (72.8kg). I wear UK size 12 and my BMI is 25.4ish.

I have a question about my waist measurement. I've always struggled with my large lower stomach. Across my bellybutton it is currently 40inches. I've read countless times that a waist over 32-35 inches is dangerous for women, and the NHS recommends measuring at the bellybutton.

My bellybutton measurement has barely changed from the 42 inches it used to be, despite losing 23lbs. However I feel much slimmer in this area having lost the weight, as in my stomach feels flatter. My aim is to lose 18lbs/8kg to get to 140lbs/64kg which will bring me to a BMI of 21/22ish, and what I think is generally healthy for my height. But I wonder if I will ever be able to get my waist measurement to a 'normal' and healthy size at this weight? Will I have to get down to like 55kg/120lbs? Does anyone have experience in this area?

Secondly, I wanted to ask about hip dips. My figure is like this:

bxpcp2pryy4b.jpg

Meaning that my bellybutton is in line with my hip bones, and my hips are quite wide. Would this have any impact on why my waist/bellybutton measurement remains high? If it helps my natural waist, i.e the smallest part of my waist is 31inches, so from the front I generally look sort-of hourglass despite the tons of extra fat on my stomach.

Thanks!!

Replies

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Our body composition is mostly genetic. As you continue to lose your waist will reduce. You say you have another 18lbs to lose, I started off wanting to lose 20lbs in total, my waist went from 31" to 25.5" just to give you an example of what 20lbs can do.

Hip dips are also genetic, again fat loss will change overall shape but everyone loses weight differently and we can't spot reduce.
  • s1886x
    Our body composition is mostly genetic. As you continue to lose your waist will reduce. You say you have another 18lbs to lose, I started off wanting to lose 20lbs in total, my waist went from 31" to 25.5" just to give you an example of what 20lbs can do.

Hip dips are also genetic, again fat loss will change overall shape but everyone loses weight differently and we can't spot reduce.
    I suppose I'm pessimistic because I already lost 23lbs which resulted in a 2 inch loss at my waist only, and that's what I'm expecting again.

You're deffo right about the genetic part though. My grandma, mum and sister and I all have the same body type :(
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    No need to be pessimistic, we work to be the best version of ourselves. So keep going and see how you go. I've always been hourglass shape no matter my weight.
    Lifting weights helps imo.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Your waist measurement is I believe at your natural waist, not specifically at your bellybutton.

If you have a spot where you are genetically predisposed to carry fat, it can absolutely be the very last thing to go, and for many of us that is the belly. I am pretty skinny all over except for my not-a-baby bump :lol:

Hip dip is genetic, it is what it is.

Check out these threads when you get a chance, and congrats on your success so far!

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10689837/does-this-uterus-make-my-stomach-look-fat/p1

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1161603/so-you-want-a-nice-stomach/p1
  • s1886x
    kimny72 wrote: »
    Your waist measurement is I believe at your natural waist, not specifically at your bellybutton.

If you have a spot where you are genetically predisposed to carry fat, it can absolutely be the very last thing to go, and for many of us that is the belly. I am pretty skinny all over except for my not-a-baby bump :lol:

Hip dip is genetic, it is what it is.

Check out these threads when you get a chance, and congrats on your success so far!

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10689837/does-this-uterus-make-my-stomach-look-fat/p1

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1161603/so-you-want-a-nice-stomach/p1

Thank you! This is reassuring :)
  • s1886x
    I measure at my smallest part of my waist. If you measure there, I'm betting you'll notice a drastic difference. I also have high hip bones, so measuring across my belly button will not change much due to measuring around the bone... if that makes sense.
    That's true! I noticed way more change at my natural waist. I'm hoping as my natural waist gets slimmer that I will look overall slimmer in my midsection. And as for your second point, that's what I wonder for myself too :) thanks!
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    A woman's waist measurement should be at the narrowest point between the ribs and hips. Mine is quite a bit higher than my bellybutton.

I also have hip dips now, vs not having them when I was overweight, so in a way they make me happy :smile:
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    I measure at my smallest part of my waist. If you measure there, I'm betting you'll notice a drastic difference. I also have high hip bones, so measuring across my belly button will not change much due to measuring around the bone... if that makes sense.

I do the same thing. I'm short torsoed, with a long rib cage, so measuring at my belly button actually is right about where my hips are (there's only about five inches between the bottom of my rib cage and the top of my hips). I measure where my natural crease/indent is when I do a side bend.