Ranch Dressing anyone?

Options
13»

Replies

• rachelleosborne80
    rachelleosborne80 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I like ranch, Hidden Valley ranch. The low fat or off brands just aren't the same.

I agree 100%. Hidden valley or nothing. I would die for hidden valley ranch 💜💜

• French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    suziecue25 wrote: »
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    For that matter, you can also make your own mayonnaise, although I have never done this.

I've done it. It's the only way I like mayo (well, and as aioli), so me and mayo is obviously a mental thing, but it looks disgusting in a jar to me.

I don't hate ranch, I just think vinaigrette is better and for creamy if you must, bleu cheese. (And ranch on pizza sounds revolting and weird.)

Yeah, to me pizza has all the herbs, salty milk product, and herbs that it needs. Don't mess with a classic, man!

I like ranch on raw veggies (vinaigrette on cooked veg), or on a really boring salad when a great vinaigrette option isn't available, and I ESPECIALLY like it on "Hobo Potatoes" of the sort that you might find at a fair. A baked potato loaded up with chicken, sauteed veggies, lashings of ranch, and Frank's hot sauce. SO GOOD. Hmmm...might have to make that this weekend since I'm planning on being snowed in with that 18" we've been promised.

Glad I started this thread.......enjoy your loaded spud and stay safe in all that snow French_Peasant and what are "Hobo Potatoes" please.

Hobo potatoes are just a fair food as I described above...actually one of the healthier options when my kids are showing their rabbits and such at the county fair all week. Of course I manage to offset that with that other very American fair creation, the Elephant Ear.

As Lemurcat likely suspects, I was being sarcastic about the 18”...they are always promising a snowpocalypse and we never get one. She is in Chicago and will likely be hit harder; I am well east of her.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    For anyone who doesn't have access to it in the store, and is wondering what this vile abomination is that everyone is pretending to hate, below is a Bon Appetit recipe, similar to how I have made it when I have had a surfeit of creme fraiche. I recommend adding herbs as well--I like parsley, chives, and thyme.

Two giant spoonfuls of rich, tangy, full-fat dairy of some kind (yogurt, sour cream, creme fraiche, and labneh all work), followed by one giant spoonful of mayo, followed by a grated clove of garlic, a big pinch of kosher salt, five or six hearty turns of freshly cracked black pepper and a good squeeze of fresh lemon juice. Slowly whisk in buttermilk (kefir works too) until the whole mixture has the texture of, well, ranch dressing. And there you have it: The most basic, and delicious, homemade ranch dressing imaginable.

You can also make your own creme fraiche, which is insanely good:

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/222387/chef-johns-creme-fraiche/

For that matter, you can also make your own mayonnaise, although I have never done this.

https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/homemade-mayonnaise

I very happily eat jarred ranch as well; but I prefer Marzetti's Cracked Peppercorn Ranch. There is a lot of bad ranch out there.

It's the mayo that makes it awful, but making my own mayo would save it since I could use lemon juice and get rid of any vinegar in the equation. Everything else about that sounds good.

I've been known to make a summer lunch of ranch seasoning stirred into a serving of yogurt and a plate of crudite. I don't dislike the flavor profile. It's the mayo.

I know this is a "me" thing, but my general salad dressing hatred comes down to my total loathing of vinegar.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »

I've done it. It's the only way I like mayo (well, and as aioli), so me and mayo is obviously a mental thing, but it looks disgusting in a jar to me.

I don't hate ranch, I just think vinaigrette is better and for creamy if you must, bleu cheese. (And ranch on pizza sounds revolting and weird.)

Yeah, I've made my own mayo too, and it's the only way I like it. Because I use lemon juice, not vinegar. I've made it as a binder for egg salad or cole slaw.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I make this in the summer when I have all the herbs in the garden. Other than that, I use Newman's.

Joy of Cooking Ranch Dressing

Combine in a blender or food processor until smooth:
    * 1 clove garlic
    * 2 - 3 pinches of salt

Remove to a bowl. Add and whisk until well blended:
    * 3/4 c buttermilk (or plain yogurt thinned with water to buttermilk consistency)
    * 2 - 3 T fresh lime juice
    * 1 T minced cilantro or parsley
    * 1 T snipped chives
    * salt and pepper to taste

(I skip the "remove to a bowl" step and do it all in the food processor.)

That, I'd happily eat as a dip. No vinegar or mayo in sight. I'd use Greek yogurt. The lime juice sounds tasty.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    i like ranch, but i like most salad dressings. i use it on my salads probably half of the time. the other half various vinaigrettes i have on hand.

for ranch if im eating the 'real' stuff - hidden valley. for a low cal version i like the bolthouse farms versions.

makes a pretty decent marinade for fried chicken. try it ;)

my son and husband hate it (they dont know its how i make my fried chicken, cause they love THAT lol)

but my son (age 12) is weird. the only kid ive ever known who doesnt put ANY dressing (at ALL) on salad. weirdo. lol

now i want fried chicken ....

maybe tomorrow. i have to work today :(
  • Safari_Gal
    Safari_Gal Posts: 888 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    @suziecue25

Hi!
    Hmm American here and I’m not a ranch girl. 🤠

I like olive oil & vinegar or a little thousand island dressing. If it’s a Caesar salad I love extra anchovies!!

I don’t see a lot of Ranch in restaurants around me — but I do see it in pubs for appetizer dipping.

🤷🏼‍♀️