Why does Basmati rice have so many calories?

Options

Replies

• dave_in_ni
    dave_in_ni Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    dave_in_ni wrote: »
    The problem is a lot of foods give you the nutritional info but dont say if it's cooked or not. Potatoes are a prime example. As for rice I'm giving up on it, my only real reason for eating it was low calorie and now it's not, still can't believe I've been tracking that wrong for 3 years.

Were you losing weight over the past 3 years?

No. First 6 months, rest I maintained
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,034 Member
    Options
    The problem is a lot of foods give you the nutritional info but dont say if it's cooked or not. Potatoes are a prime example. As for rice I'm giving up on it, my only real reason for eating it was low calorie and now it's not, still can't believe I've been tracking that wrong for 3 years.

Why are you giving up on it? Has your weight progress been what you wanted it to be for the past three years? If you have been reaching your goals then there is no problem. If you haven't been reaching your goals then just adjust the amount you eat. Brown rice is filling and is a great addition to an overall healthy diet.
  • lin_be
    lin_be Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    How much have you been off with the incorrect entry? 120 calories a day should not be large enough to maintain if your deficit is .5lb/week or higher. The .5lb deficit is -250 below your maintenance. So not a large deficit but enough that’d you still lose a bit.
  • Ddsb11
    Ddsb11 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Completely get the shock after all this time, especially when it was your primary motivation for eating it in the first place! However, there’s a silver lining here, which is pretty rad if you think about it.
  • MsBaz2018
    MsBaz2018 Posts: 384 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options

I actually admire your dedication to eat something you don't like for three years just because it has fewer calories :)

ETA: The whole discussion has been enlightening. I didn't know that the bar code pulled info from the database. I thought it pulled it from maybe the manufacturers' data. Also the thing about USDA entries style. Funny.
  • dave_in_ni
    dave_in_ni Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    MsBaz2018 wrote: »

I actually admire your dedication to eat something you don't like for three years just because it has fewer calories :)

ETA: The whole discussion has been enlightening. I didn't know that the bar code pulled info from the database. I thought it pulled it from maybe the manufacturers' data. Also the thing about USDA entries style. Funny.
    MsBaz2018 wrote: »

I can eat anything, I'm not a fussy person, I might not like it but I can still eat it.
  • magnusthenerd
    magnusthenerd Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »
    The barcode scanner is nothing more than a false sense of security. If an entry seems too good to be true, it probably is. If you are unsure, you can always double-check online. The USDA site is a great resource, as mentioned. I use it all the time.

Nah, when a barcode scan a single potato, I trust the entry.
  • Mslmesq
    Mslmesq Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I only ate rice as I thought it was low cal

😂😂😂

Yea, nope.

• MeganReid1991
    MeganReid1991 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I love rice but also find it pretty high in calories. I now mix it 50/50 with cauliflower rice. Cuts back the calories and I don’t notice any taste difference! Still lower in calories then potatoes for me.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Potatoes are lower in cal by volume/weight.

Potatoes, raw, 100 g, 58 cal.

White rice, raw, 100 g, 365 cal (but like most grains 56 g is a typical serving and it plumps up from cooking).

Obviously rice increases and potatoes decrease in size with cooking, but still potatoes are lower cal per typical serving.

I thought I was responding to something, but beats me.