What to do about SUGAR/ Skinny on Obesity

Options
2»

Replies

• J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,951 Member
    Options
    Provided you are in energy balance and hitting your macros, I really don't think it matters one way or the other.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Ok everyone thanks for the input now go watch that show and come back and tell me what you think .

There are seven episodes and each one about 6 to 10 min

Thanks

John OUT
    NO, I am not going to go watch some fear-mongering crap. Please stop spamming the forum with this!
  • thesupremeforce
    thesupremeforce Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options
    I don't track sugar, nor am I going to let propaganda frighten me into doing stupid things (or not doing something). Blaming sugar is a weak attempt to redirect blame and allow individuals to skip out on personal responsibility.

Obviously, people with medical reasons to limit sugar should do so, and I was in no way lumping them into my previous statement.
  • kathrinnbauer
    kathrinnbauer Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Tappy and Mittendorfer cite a review by Dolan of the Burdock Group where average-estimated amounts of dietary fructose in a weight-maintaining diet did not appear to harm metabolic health. However, definitive studies are missing, as these trials involved fructose intake approaching 95% of average consumption, while toxicity of dietary fructose is only suspected for above-average consumption that overwhelms metabolic pathways.[6][7] Some studies have shown that "the long-term consumption of diets high in fat and fructose is likely to lead to increased energy intake, weight gain, and obesity", and "the potential for weight gain from increased fructose consumption may only represent one aspect of its metabolic consequences".[8] Meta-analysis studies have indicated that the clinical trials cited by Lustig, which were aimed at studying carbohydrate consumption, were of only short duration and variable quality, and that study subjects had only modest increases in body weight, thus precluding definitive conclusions.[6][9]
    Several studies show that for small doses (less than 10 grams per meal), fructose consumption may actually have a catalytic effect that reduces blood glucose levels with no consequent change in body weight.[10][11]
    One controversial issue surrounding fructose consumption is its role in blocking satiety. Lustig's research suggests that fructose consumption reduces satiety leading to over-consumption. Trials that focus on isocaloric diets and on light fructose consumption do not address the issue of satiety and over-consumption.
    In athletes requiring sugar to meet their caloric needs, fructose may enhance exercise performance by stimulating nutrient absorption and energy metabolism.[12]
    Animal research has provided evidence for deleterious effects of excessive fructose consumption,[13] and potential for negative impact on triglycerides, LDL cholesterol and apolipoprotein-B.[14]
    Some scientists report that the combination of medical disorders known as metabolic syndrome (syndrome X) results mainly from excessive caloric intake and that fructose should not be singled out[6][15] as a particular villain. In fact, small 'catalytic' doses of fructose may improve control of blood glucose.[10] Further, fructose is the normal, natural monosaccharide sugar present in sweet-tasting plant foods.[10][15][16]

Lustig argues that the characteristics of processed foods, namely the addition of sugar and the removal of dietary fibre, are two of the main culprits in a global obesity epidemic (!!!!)

This is from wikipedia, but you can follow the links to the studies cited or do your own research in pubmed or google scholar or wherever. Just because it was in TV doesn't mean it's true.