Substitutions for heavy whipping cream?

Options
I just put a recipe in and then almost passed out when I saw the calories. The main culprit seems to be the heavy whipping cream. It's a beef/pasta dish so the cream is part of the sauce. What do you guys think works best as a substitute?

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    eatyogarun wrote: »
    I just put a recipe in and then almost passed out when I saw the calories. The main culprit seems to be the heavy whipping cream. It's a beef/pasta dish so the cream is part of the sauce. What do you guys think works best as a substitute?

1/2 and 1/2 would be a little lighter...but yeah, cream sauces are calorie dense. You can't really do too much substituting because you will lose the consistency of the dish.
  • panda4153
    panda4153 Posts: 417 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Well, half and half or whole milk but those still have quite a few calories depending on how many calories you are are looking to cut, but they have fat which helps in a thickening process for sauces. I have also found that non fat evaporated milk can be a good substitute for heavy cream in dishes, but the sauce may be a bit thinner but its not super noticeable.
  • debgear1
    debgear1 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    How about evaporated milk? Yogurt might work well too.
  • Cassandraw3
    Cassandraw3 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    For a dish like that, you could probably substitute a low fat cream cheese in equal amount of the heavy cream. Should cut down a bit of the calories (1 oz heavy cream= 110 cal vs 1 oz low fat cream cheese is = 70 cal).
  • eatyogarun
    eatyogarun Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »

Use beef stock and thicken the sauce with corn starch. No it will not be the same as using cream, but it will serve the same purpose.

Yeah, there's beef stock in it as well. I am thinking just thicken like you suggested and maybe add just a touch of cream to cut the tomato flavor a little. I'll play with it. Thanks for all of the suggestions everyone! And I welcome more. I know I can google but I figured other folks counting calories might know the best bang for the buck. :)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options

You could cut the amount of heavy cream in half and replace it with more beef stock.

I do this all the time in Thai dishes that have coconut milk (the heavy kind). (Although in this case I use chicken stock instead of beef.)

If I were to have a Thai restaurant dish for a taste test I would notice the difference, but since I don't it works.
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I would probably use fat free Greek yogurt. In other dishes I use evaporated milk but beef is a pretty strong flavour and the yogurt might go better.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

You could cut the amount of heavy cream in half and replace it with more beef stock.

I do this all the time in Thai dishes that have coconut milk (the heavy kind). (Although in this case I use chicken stock instead of beef.)

If I were to have a Thai restaurant dish for a taste test I would notice the difference, but since I don't it works.

i also do that with recipes that call for cream
    or i just use 2% and cook it down it bit more
  • Crafty_camper123
    Crafty_camper123 Posts: 1,440 Member
    Options
    I usually just use milk. Mostly because it's what I have on hand. What kind of beef/pasta dish? Something where you need a thickened alfredo like sauce, you could make a rouxe and then pour your milk and broth in. It would thicken like a gravy, and give a similar creamy texture. You could also add in fat free cream cheese, fat free sour cream, or fat free greek yogurt, or fat free cottage cheese to add more creaminess for less calories.
  • cheryldumais
    edited January 2019
    Options
    I would probably use fat free Greek yogurt. In other dishes I use evaporated milk but beef is a pretty strong flavour and the yogurt might go better.

It will split in a sauce. Yogurt, even full fat, is weird like that. 90% of the time it will split, the other 10% maybe not.

I used it the other day in beef stroganoff and it didn't split but of course it was added at the end before serving. I never add it in until the dish is just ready to serve.
  • nationalvillage3215
    Options
    Try mixing some fat free half and half and skim milk
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options

When I am making a cream soup or stew, I use Evaporated Skim Milk. It is in the baking aisle next to the cans of Condensed milk (look at the calories for THAT stuff if you want a shock) and the powdered milk. It isn't quite as thick as cream but still makes up well in a soup. If making a sauce, you could always add a little more of whatever thickener you are using.
  • Salixiana
    Salixiana Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Lowfat buttermilk is nice in sauces, but you can't get it too hot or it will split. I use it to make a cheese sauce.
  • wlee8
    wlee8 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    It will change the consistency of the food but it doesn’t mean it’s less enjoyable. For savory dishes try subbing light cream cheese, sour cream, 2% Greek yogurt, or puréed cottage cheese for half of the cream. Or, use less cream in general for the dish. A condensed creamed soup might also work, but check those labels for the other ingredients.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,394 Member
    Options
    For dishes with coconut milk I usually use skyr, and add some coconut flakes. Gives a somewhat similar taste but has a lot less calories if you're careful with the dessicated coconut.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options

For a savory dish, greek yogurt often works fairly well to thicken it a bit/make it creamier. Relatively few calories and ups the protein content as well. Sour cream is also an option (lower calorie than heavy cream, but still pretty high calorie from being largely fat).
  • ritzvin
    Options

It will split in a sauce. Yogurt, even full fat, is weird like that. 90% of the time it will split, the other 10% maybe not.

I used it the other day in beef stroganoff and it didn't split but of course it was added at the end before serving. I never add it in until the dish is just ready to serve.

This is usually what I do as well..Add it in after the cooking.
  • ritzvin
    Options
    I usually just use milk. Mostly because it's what I have on hand. What kind of beef/pasta dish? Something where you need a thickened alfredo like sauce, you could make a rouxe and then pour your milk and broth in. It would thicken like a gravy, and give a similar creamy texture. You could also add in fat free cream cheese, fat free sour cream, or fat free greek yogurt, or fat free cottage cheese to add more creaminess for less calories.

ditto on this as well. Homemade gravy is surprisingly low in calories despite being thick and creamy and seemingly high fat.
  • cheryldumais
    edited January 2019
    Options

Ohhhh well thats different. Yes, you can add yogurt when the dish is done cooking and it will not split. But if you add it to a hot, still cooking meal, it will.

Yup, I should have been more clear on that. If it has to go in before then the evaporated skim milk is what I use with a bit of cornstarch or flour and water to thicken if needed. I have used condensed soup too but if you are watching sodium that's not always the best and the low fat stuff is not the same. Oh, BTW I have used low fat cream cheese too. It really depends on the recipe. Oops, one more addition... If you can afford the calories sometimes half & half will cut the calories a bit but not as much as the other options.
  • ritzvin
    Options

Ohhhh well thats different. Yes, you can add yogurt when the dish is done cooking and it will not split. But if you add it to a hot, still cooking meal, it will.

Yup, I should have been more clear on that. If it has to go in before then the evaporated skim milk is what I use with a bit of cornstarch or flour and water to thicken if needed. I have used condensed soup too but if you are watching sodium that's not always the best and the low fat stuff is not the same. Oh, BTW I have used low fat cream cheese too. It really depends on the recipe. Oops, one more addition... If you can afford the calories sometimes half & half will cut the calories a bit but not as much as the other options.

I've done half & half for Creme Brulee before in place of heavy cream. A bit thinner than preferred, but still quite tasty.