Substitutions for heavy whipping cream?

Options
2»

Replies

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    i dont eat so many things with heavy cream in them that i worry about it when i do....

you can pry my alfredo sauce from my cold dead hands. ;)
  • jesspen91
    jesspen91 Posts: 1,383 Member
    Options
    My go to is usually half fat creme fraiche
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    The best substitution will usually depend on the recipe. For a country-gravy type sauce (e.g., biscuits and gravy, or pot pie), then you can generally substitute a good portion of the cream with stock. For a bechamel based sauce (a la mac and cheese), skim or 2% milk works pretty well. For an alfredo type sauce (that is, cream is reduced to achieve thickness), then evaporated milk might be the best substitute (though make sure you're OK with the flavor before going all in with the substitution). If just looking to add richness to a dish (a la stroganoff), then sour cream, yogurt, or creme fraiche can be stirred in at the last minute (off heat).
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,950 Member
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »
    crazyravr wrote: »
    I would probably use fat free Greek yogurt. In other dishes I use evaporated milk but beef is a pretty strong flavour and the yogurt might go better.

It will split in a sauce. Yogurt, even full fat, is weird like that. 90% of the time it will split, the other 10% maybe not.

I used it the other day in beef stroganoff and it didn't split but of course it was added at the end before serving. I never add it in until the dish is just ready to serve.

Ohhhh well thats different. Yes, you can add yogurt when the dish is done cooking and it will not split. But if you add it to a hot, still cooking meal, it will.

Have you tried either of these techniques? (Using a stabilizer and/or full fat yogurt.)

https://living.thebump.com/cooking-yogurt-curdling-8453.html

...Stabilizers

Using a stabilizer in a yogurt-based dish to keep it from curdling is one of the most common steps in Indian cooking. Whisk in a small amount of chickpea flour, cornstarch, or plain all-purpose flour to stabilize the yogurt before cooking. Ensure that the stabilizer is completely combined, then add the combination slowly to a low-temperature dish, or heat the stabilizer slowly on its own, again keeping it from boiling, and stirring it in at the end of the preparation.

Yogurt Types

The type of yogurt plays a large part in whether it will curdle. Buffalo-milk yogurt is less prone to curdling overall, and is commonly used by traditional Indian cooks. However, if this is unavailable, substitute full-fat yogurt, or Greek yogurt, where much of the water has been removed; both are less likely to break than low-fat yogurt, because the fat within the yogurt keeps proteins from clumping together and curdling. If you want to use low-fat products, only use a small amount of acid in the recipe, use a stabilizer in the yogurt and cook on low heat to prevent curdling.
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    Relax. Assume you are making beef Stroganoff. Just get a nice liquid base of beef broth and the meat juices (which you are already counting) and thicken it with a little corn starch. Not too much either. Better runny that gelatinous.
  • emmaclarksgt
    emmaclarksgt Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    It is unlikely that something else will do for this dessert.
  • Silencok
    Silencok Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Maybe try some jam?
  • perryc05
    perryc05 Posts: 213 Member
    edited January 2022
    Options
    I would say low fat evaporated milk. When paired with a dash of coconut essence this is also a decent sub for coconut milk in Thai curries too:
    https://www.verybestbaking.com/carnation/products/nestle-carnation-evaporated-lowfat-2-milk-12-oz/
  • mirianyusm
    mirianyusm Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I would use milk and thicken it with cornstarch.
  • Qbaimee
    Qbaimee Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I use unsweetened almond milk and if you need to thicken the sauce up add a tiny bit of xantham gum..
  • Silencok
    Silencok Posts: 2 Member
    edited January 2022
    Options
    you can use milk and thicken it up with butter and powdered sugar. details here: https://blog.creamchargers.co.uk/whipped-cream-without-heavy-cream/