Green Tea , Cold Vs Hot? Which is better?

Options
Heyy , I have heard that green tea boosts metabolism and it contains really low calories. The thing is I love anything cold , I hate hot/ room temperature beverages. I’d love to ice green tea but some people said drinking green tea cold will have no effect on health? Like it has to be hot in order to “burn fat/ boost metabolism “ is this true or is it just a myth ?

Replies

• UmaMageswarymfp
    UmaMageswarymfp Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Panini911 wrote: »
    green tea does nothing to 'boost metabolism' whether hot or cold.

No omg a lot of my friends and even youtubers say it does SOMETHING to help with weight loss ?

and these are clearly valid sources of information ;) you tubers (wand random people totally know more than the science.

there is zero scientific proof green tea does anything to your metabolism. it is at best placebo/and enjoyable drink.

Wooo , okay then . Thanksss
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,068 Member
    Options
    Neither is better.

Just drink whichever you like, if any.

And of course account for the calories - but plain unsweetened green tea will have hardly any.
  • UmaMageswarymfp
    Options
    Neither is better.

Just drink whichever you like, if any.

And of course account for the calories - but plain unsweetened green tea will have hardly any.

Yeah I hate sugary drinks , I’m used to water and unsweetened drinks 😂
  • admaarie
    admaarie Posts: 4,297 Member
    Options
    Green tea ups your water intake and if you like the taste of it then drink it.
    As for weight loss it does nothing. It’s essentially just water.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    I like hot tea in winter and cold tea (unsweetened) in summer. Not a fan of green tea, personally (I like various black and herbal teas), but if you like it, drink it. Mainly I think it's a low cal drink that will help some not consume higher cal things.

So is coffee, of course, which I prefer to tea most of the time.
  • magnusthenerd
    magnusthenerd Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    Drink it either way if you like it. There's no heat activated magic.
    To be technical on he science, cold tea is going to use more calories to digest because your body will end up using body heat to warm the tea up to the same temperature. Even that's uncertain and nothing you'll ever notice on a scale.
  • GaryHarbishee972
    GaryHarbishee972 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hot. Cold green tea sounds rank.

But yeah, no real health benefits.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    There are some health benefits of drinking green tea...namely that it is rich in antioxidants. Often health benefits of a particular food turn into weight loss benefits somehow...weight management comes down to calories (energy). The only benefit green tea would have on metabolism is that caffeine is a stimulant and will increase your metabolism slightly...but it's affect on metabolism is very small and short lived...it's not like it makes you start burning 100s of extra calories...you might burn a handful more calories while sitting and drinking your green tea (or other caffeinated beverage) vs sitting there drinking nothing.

ETA: Tea in general aids me in weight loss because when I'm trying to lose weight I drink it in the evening in lieu of my high calorie IPA beers...basically I swap out about 600 calories for 0...not exactly magic though...
  • UmaMageswarymfp
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    Heyy , I have heard that green tea boosts metabolism and it contains really low calories. The thing is I love anything cold , I hate hot/ room temperature beverages. I’d love to ice green tea but some people said drinking green tea cold will have no effect on health? Like it has to be hot in order to “burn fat/ boost metabolism “ is this true or is it just a myth ?

No specific foods/drinks will "burn fat". And if any do "boost metabolism" it is a tiny amount and for a short period of time and will have zero affect on your calories.

There is some correlation that tea in general might have health benefits, nothing I'd take as fact, but if you like it - drink it, and maybe there will be some benefit! I can't imagine hot or cold would make any difference.

The best way to improve your metabolism is to become more active and build muscle. Slowly, over time, this could slightly increase the amount of calories you burn daily. Here's a thread you might be interested in:
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10610953/neat-improvement-strategies-to-improve-weight-loss/p1

Ultimately though hun, you need to stop listening to all these people who suggest hacks or tricks. They are all either bogus or so minimal it isn't worth the effort. Focus on logging accurately and consistently, learn how to put together a diet and eating schedule and activity level that you enjoy and gets you at the right calorie level. Once you get that, you'll be golden. The other stuff is just noise that keeps everyone dancing around in circles and never getting anywhere :lol:

Ahhh , thank you . I will read the thread you sent in a lil 💜
  • Kayyi
    Kayyi Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I found cold green tea was mostly a benefit because it stopped me from drinking so much juice or other sweetened teas. I find that I struggle with just drinking water, but I had found a loose peach green tea and it tastes similar to peach juice. It will help you cut too much sugar intake which may be the weight loss factor they were talking about, as long as you don't add anything to it! I still stick to one glass of tea and honey in the mornings though.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    kami3006 wrote: »
    @UmaMageswarymfp Hey, kudos for checking in and trying to get this weight loss thing figured out. You seem to be asking a lot of good questions. Folks here are a wealth of good information. As you are learning there is a lot of *kitten* information out there that will lead you astray. Hang in there.

Aww omg thank you this made me smile , yes I know I’m asking tons of question. It’s just that I’m worried of repeating same mistakes, everyday I try to stay active here with people and gain more knowledge. I hope I can do it right this time 💓

You'll get the hang of it and then will have to learn the "head nod and change the subject" maneuver when you hear your friends and coworkers telling you all sorts of nonsense that isn't going to work. Because they'll never believe what you tell them, even with proof. :laugh:

I'm dying @ "the head nod and subject change" !!! :laugh:
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    kami3006 wrote: »
    @UmaMageswarymfp Hey, kudos for checking in and trying to get this weight loss thing figured out. You seem to be asking a lot of good questions. Folks here are a wealth of good information. As you are learning there is a lot of *kitten* information out there that will lead you astray. Hang in there.

Aww omg thank you this made me smile , yes I know I’m asking tons of question. It’s just that I’m worried of repeating same mistakes, everyday I try to stay active here with people and gain more knowledge. I hope I can do it right this time 💓

You'll get the hang of it and then will have to learn the "head nod and change the subject" maneuver when you hear your friends and coworkers telling you all sorts of nonsense that isn't going to work. Because they'll never believe what you tell them, even with proof. :laugh:

I'm dying @ "the head nod and subject change" !!! :laugh:

It's funny because it's sooo true!