finish your plate mentality

Options
does anyone else think that encouraging kids to finish there plates might be a bad thing? I have been looking after my little sis and I encourage her to finish her plate and she complains but finishes it but she has also gained weight. Is this bad culture? xxx

Replies

• gabijadc
    gabijadc Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Ugh I don't think I HAVEN'T finished my plate in...years! I was raised to do so and even when I'm full I always finish my plate.
    That definitely has not been too good of a factor for me... But I have learned how to size my plate so finishing it is not a bad thing to do anymore :)
  • dlbredesen
    dlbredesen Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    My mom grew up poor. She was big on us kids eating everything on our plate. She didn't want anyone to be hungry. I want my kids to eat healthy. In the real world I want them to limit junk food by portion control. I don't think a child should be forced to eat. Offer healthy choices at an early age.
  • bernie59c
    bernie59c Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I was brought up with that culture, finish your food, Think of all those starving children in the world & yes I have had been a long life dieter ever since. I have never encouraged my kids to clear their plate as I think you know yourself when you've had enough.. Trouble is trying not to clear their plates :(
  • namelesshere
    namelesshere Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Yes, I think it encourages overeating. If the plate only had the proper calories, then the finish your plate mentality might not be so bad. I grew up with the finish your plate mentality, you know, all those starving kids somewhere in the world, if you don't want seconds, (what's the matter, isn't it good enough for you). I remember always feeling stuffed to the point of almost being sick. To this day I have problems recognizing when I feel full. I have had weight problems my entire life and I am approaching 60!

A better option would be to encourage eating a balanced plate, and quitting when full. If not enough was eaten, more of the same could be offered later.
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    We were a "take what you want, but want what you take" family. If you took a small amount you could always go back for more, but if you took too much you were expected to eat it. I, of course, always took to much. I've finally learned to take the smaller amount or single portion, but it took years.
  • chandanista
    chandanista Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    I don't encourage my kids to finish their plates. I do encourage them to make proper choices, healthy and tasty, when at buffets and family dinners. I do encourage them to only take what they can eat, and to eat what they take. When I serve them at home I try to only give what they will eat, but don't get after them if they don't finish it. There's portioned out fruit in the fridge if they're hungry later. My aunts, when I was a kid, pulled the "starving kids in Africa" thing, and I felt incredible guilt growing up. I do my best not to waste now, but I've had to come to terms with the fact that I can't send my leftovers to Africa, whether I eat them or not.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    It depends how much you put on their plate or allow them to put on their plate. My granddaughters are terrible for not eating any vegetables so they have to eat those before they can leave the table and I make sure they have a reasonable amount of food . If you aren't hungry enough to eat what is on your plate (especially veggies) then you are much too full for dessert or snacks later.
  • kayemmgee5
    kayemmgee5 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    It depends how much you put on their plate or allow them to put on their plate. My granddaughters are terrible for not eating any vegetables so they have to eat those before they can leave the table and I make sure they have a reasonable amount of food . If you aren't hungry enough to eat what is on your plate (especially veggies) then you are much too full for dessert or snacks later.

This is what my mom did for us, portioned out our plates with mostly veggies and then a little protein & starch, but heavy on the veggies. I noticed that I really gained weight when my mom wasn't cooking me those nutritious meals anymore, I took that for granted for sure!!! College was cheap pasta, lots of carbs, and too much cheap beer!
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    ...I've had to come to terms with the fact that I can't send my leftovers to Africa, whether I eat them or not.

^ Quoted for truth.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    It depends how much you put on their plate. We ask our kids to finish their plates if they want dessert, but we really put a ridiculously small amount of food on their plate... they often ask for seconds.
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    The problem isn't cleaning your plate, it's putting too much on it to begin with.

I grew up having to clean my plate and it is still very hard for me to waste any food. It bothers me to throw food away. That's money in the waste basket!
  • clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,624 Member
    Options
    Yeah I think that is partially the reason why I ended up gaining weight in the first place because my dad always made me finish my plate and also our family eats until they are stuffed, not just satisfied. There is nothing wrong with leftovers, I am learning this. It is a hard habit to break.
  • LiziAB
    LiziAB Posts: 55
    Options
    The problem isn't cleaning your plate, it's putting too much on it to begin with.

I grew up having to clean my plate and it is still very hard for me to waste any food. It bothers me to throw food away. That's money in the waste basket!

This!
  • mandasalem
    mandasalem Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on the motive. In my household, we were always encouraged to finish our plates so that we weren't picking at real food and then clamoring for snacks or empty calories 30-40 minutes later.
  • dawn_h_d
    dawn_h_d Posts: 184 Member
    Options

I still have that mindset from my parents growing up - if it is there, and it can't be reheated, you better eat it. My boyfriend tells me it's ok to throw it away, but I feel like it is such a waste. That is one of my things I need to change in this journey.
  • AfricaLatina
    AfricaLatina Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I have struggled with this for years, as children we were always encouraged to finish all the food on our plates and portion sizes were generous! I am still not able to leave food on my plate, so now I weigh out my portions BEFORE they go onto my plate so I can eat guilt free...
  • fShaw86
    fShaw86 Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    This was true when I was growing up, but for my son I've ensured he only gets enough food on his plate that he will be able to finish. Whether its me serving or by himself, we've agreed upon taking small portions enough to half fill his tummy. Defo beats taking a huge *kitten* portion and not being able to finish it!
  • PixieGoddess
    PixieGoddess Posts: 1,833 Member
    Options
    We were a "take what you want, but want what you take" family. If you took a small amount you could always go back for more, but if you took too much you were expected to eat it. I, of course, always took to much. I've finally learned to take the smaller amount or single portion, but it took years.

This was my family too. We were encouraged to take small amounts the first time and go back for seconds if desired, explained by saying that we could keep the food as leftovers if it wasn't already on somebody's plate. (Anyone who's seen children eat can well imagine why THAT rule was implemented!) We didn't *have* to finish our plate, but no seconds of anything until you finished everything you got the first time. And if we were trying a new food, my mother would put literally one or two bites' worth on my plate, saying, "We're just going to put this much on your plate to see if you like it." So yes, I had to eat that bite or two. But if I didn't like it, that was it, and I could get more of whatever I did like. I think it was a very healthy way to eat (I don't really have problems with overeating) and intend to do that with my kids when I have them.
  • jayjay12345654321
    jayjay12345654321 Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    My parents did it to me, and I think it was horrible. I grew up believing I was a bad person if I left any uneaten foods on my plate. I knew not to do it to my kids, but I couldn't get past the guilt my parents instilled in me, so I would finish their plates for them standing over the sink in the kitchen.

My kids are older now (teenagers) and make their own meals and usually, they are very small portions. They've learned, and I've learned from them, that if you're cleaning your plate of guilt instead of hunger, you're putting too dang much on the plate to begin with. Now we're rockin' and rollin'. ;) And the food bill is less.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on the motive. In my household, we were always encouraged to finish our plates so that we weren't picking at real food and then clamoring for snacks or empty calories 30-40 minutes later.

THIS!!!