Preference- Mirrors in fitness studios

Options
Hello everyone!

I'm in the process of setting up a group fitness studio and I came to the experts to poll everyone for some opinions. The fitness studio will have kickboxing, circuit training, zumba, bellyfit, yoga, and others to be determined. In your personal opinions, for those who engage in classes and activities similar to these, do you prefer having one wall with mirrors to check your form/see your dancing or do you prefer to not have mirrors? (I know yoga studios do not traditionally have mirrors).

So, a wall with large mirror or no mirror? Thank you!

Replies

• Silent_Soliloquy
    Silent_Soliloquy Posts: 237 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Absolutely yes

Also makes the space feel bigger
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Options
    Yes. I find it really helpful to check my form and alignment. It can also be helpful to see other people if I get lost without having to look around the room and stare.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    ipmac22 wrote: »
    Hello everyone!

I'm in the process of setting up a group fitness studio and I came to the experts to poll everyone for some opinions. The fitness studio will have kickboxing, circuit training, zumba, bellyfit, yoga, and others to be determined. In your personal opinions, for those who engage in classes and activities similar to these, do you prefer having one wall with mirrors to check your form/see your dancing or do you prefer to not have mirrors? (I know yoga studios do not traditionally have mirrors).

For the studio with zumba, bellyfit → definitely yes..people will want to check that their movements are correct in the mirror. and might need to see instructor in it if a crowded class. so yes - you will want a wall with mirrors.

circuit training → depends what they are doing -- might want to arrange some stuff closer/further from the mirrored wall... helps for some things (lifting form), useless for other things, and a hindrance for some things (box jumps).
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I have a minor beef on this issue, but something that annoys me.

When the joint between mirrors is lined up off-center from the power rack. So it lines up with my shoulder instead of the middle of my face.

Man this bugs the crap out of me.

But yes to the mirrors.
  • Mithridites
    Mithridites Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I want mirrors. On 2 sides at least. To check form at different angles.
  • ipmac22
    ipmac22 Posts: 74 Member
    Options

Thank you for the insight! We have a whole wall of windows, a wall of kickboxing bags, and power racks on the short wall going to the back, so only one wall is practical/being considered for mirrors but I much appreciate the feedback!
  • ipmac22
    edited January 2019
    Options
    ritzvin wrote: »
    Hello everyone!

For the studio with zumba, bellyfit → definitely yes..people will want to check that their movements are correct in the mirror. and might need to see instructor in it if a crowded class. so yes - you will want a wall with mirrors.

circuit training → depends what they are doing -- might want to arrange some stuff closer/further from the mirrored wall... helps for some things (lifting form), useless for other things, and a hindrance for some things (box jumps).

Would love to have multiple rooms, but for now, all in the same. So if I have mirrors for one type of class, it'll be mirrors for all. But based on the feedback here and some other sources, it seems like it's better to have them than not. Thank you!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,656 Member
    Options

Thank you for the insight! We have a whole wall of windows, a wall of kickboxing bags, and power racks on the short wall going to the back, so only one wall is practical/being considered for mirrors but I much appreciate the feedback!

In one of the rowing machine rooms I work out in (university team facility), they have mirrors* on rolling racks they can move around the room, in addition to one wall of fixed mirrors (the other walls have windows). The rolling mirrors are several feet long, but only a few inches thick, with cross-pieces for support that are longer but can kind of nest next to each other for storage, if they're offset by the width of the cross-piece (I hope that makes sense), so they don't take up a lot of room when not in use.

*I think they're break-resistant or unbreakable mirrors. They look like someone built them from 2x4s and casters.
  • clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    Options
    Another pro-mirror here. I like the suggestion @AnnPT77 made but a less-breakable option might be to have a rail with a curtain in front of the mirror. One dance studio that I took classes at had that so that you could use the mirrors while learning a choreography and then cover them so you had to rely on your memory! But it might also be useful if you wanted a no-mirror option at a fitness studio too.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    Yes -- as long as I'm not *right* in front of it (I find that triggers my dysmorphia), I find them helpful for checking out form during class.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    I have a minor beef on this issue, but something that annoys me.

When the joint between mirrors is lined up off-center from the power rack. So it lines up with my shoulder instead of the middle of my face.

Man this bugs the crap out of me.

But yes to the mirrors.

LOL. I had a similar experience at my barre studio. There is a joint in one particular area, and if I am in just the wrong place, it looks like I'm split in two. Which sometimes makes me look thinner than I am, and other times larger, depending on how I'm angled. Annoying AF.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Yes
  • ipmac22
    Options
    Another pro-mirror here. I like the suggestion @AnnPT77 made but a less-breakable option might be to have a rail with a curtain in front of the mirror. One dance studio that I took classes at had that so that you could use the mirrors while learning a choreography and then cover them so you had to rely on your memory! But it might also be useful if you wanted a no-mirror option at a fitness studio too.

This is a GREAT idea! I love this. Thank you!
  • lbride
    lbride Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    All mirrors, (at least 2 walls) to check form.
  • jesspen91
    jesspen91 Posts: 1,383 Member
    Options
    Another yes to mirrors here.
  • AnnPT77
    Options

I think maybe I wasn't clear: The mirrors on rollers are not mostly because they want to hide them when people don't want them. It's so they can put a mirror on a side where the wall wouldn't be suitable (because of windows, or shelves needed, or whatever). They can even put mirrors on all 4 sides of the people (if there's enough moveable mirrors). Then they can easily move them out of the way and store compactly when not needed. They're not unstable.

The curtain idea is a great one, but solves a different problem. :flowerforyou:
  • clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

I think maybe I wasn't clear: The mirrors on rollers are not mostly because they want to hide them when people don't want them. It's so they can put a mirror on a side where the wall wouldn't be suitable (because of windows, or shelves needed, or whatever). They can even put mirrors on all 4 sides of the people (if there's enough moveable mirrors). Then they can easily move them out of the way and store compactly when not needed. They're not unstable.

Oh WOW! So, like, COMPLETELY moveable around the room? I was just picturing back-and-forth along the wall. That's way cooler and incredibly versatile!
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

Oh WOW! So, like, COMPLETELY moveable around the room? I was just picturing back-and-forth along the wall. That's way cooler and incredibly versatile!

Yes. Think of a rolling whiteboard or blackboard, only with a mirror from just above the floor to the full height of the rolling thingie, with long enough cross-pieces at the bottom (perpendicular to the plane of the mirror) to keep it stable, and casters on the bottom of the cross-pieces, to move it around. I'd post a picture, but I don't have one.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    Yes, to check form and also admire my muskels sometimes.