Keto diet

Options

Replies

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Two to three months is only enough time to get to the good stuff. A fabulously successful and buff weight loser here does keto 9 months a year and eats all the wonderful things from October 1 to January 1.

You'll have to count carbs, net carbs especially. You may find yourself being satisfied with barely 1000 calories in a day. You'll have to eat a lot more salt. You may spend more of your nights sleeping. I know not every busy dude has time for that. You could find your libido more active.

Above and beyond what any kind of normal weight loss would cause?
    At first guess, I would think keto diets would be associated with infertility simply for the fact that male gametes are one of the few human cells that can directly use fructose for fuel, which is going to be in low supply on a keto diet.

Those who have issues with low sex hormones sometimes find the added fat on the diet helps with hormone regulation. Others may find steadier blood glucose levels help, and yet others experience improved cardiovascular health helps.

These are possible benefits that some may experience, and they are not exclusive to keto.... gotta get those disclaimers in. ;)
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    Somatotypes are dubunked as the attempt to associate appearance with character, but they are usable for describing the body's shape. I use it in that context only. It is funny how people take on one word of a paragraph and run with it

they arent usable to describe body shape because many people fall into more than one category. I fall into all 3(which means squat) because I believed the hype back then too,. it has noting to do with anything someone just took the idea and applied it to diets and so on to make a buck or two. had I believed that my body type meant I had to eat a certain way I would still probably be obese
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    Video is not a strong way to argue, 'cause likely no one will watch it.

Guessing at what it might say, I posted links explaining why you need more protein on low carb, not less (although it might have been in another keto thread where we were discussing this, I'm confused between the various keto threads).

15% protein can be enough for muscle maintenance depending on total calories eaten and size, but I suspect it's mostly not for the average person just starting keto.

And just to add, in addition to 45 minutes of video, the videos are from Dr. Berg (chiropractor), Dr. Axe (chiro and "natural medicine"), a self-professed celebrity trainer, and an athlete.

And I'm not really sure how any of this affects the OP, since she is looking to do keto for 2 months at unnecessarily low calories in order to lose weight fast. Low protein or not would be the least of her worries IMHO.

Also, there was only one video when I posted.

Remember, my comments were a response to this advice to the OP:
    Started keto myself.
    Do's:
    1. Eat plenty of healthy fats (like 80%) - MCT Oil, Coconut Oil, Ghee or Butter, Avocados, nitrate-free bacon, eggs, Macadamia nuts, Beef Bone broth, Kalamata Olives, Sardines, Herrings, Salmon (in moderation due to high mercury unless wild-caught). Look for foods whose fat contents surpasses the combined protein and net carbs.
    2. Use plenty of Himalayan pink salt;
    3. Use a complete multivitamin;
    4. Eat one Brazil nut a day (source of Selenium);
    5. Start your day with a glass of water with 1tbsp apple cider vinegar and 1 tbps lemon juice.
    6. Drink coffee (black or bulletproof, with Stevia if you have to), imperial or ceremonial grade matcha tea or green tea (can drink decaf in the afternoon).
    7. Count calories and macros - it helps you avoid overeating, since fatty foods are very calorie dense. And it also allows you to adjust if you go over on protein.
    8. Keep protein moderate - about 15% of your calories. You want your body to burn fat, not convert protein to glucose.
    9. Drink plenty of water - a gallon would be great.
    10. Once you get fat adapted (about 3 weeks if you never did keto before) you can mix in Intermittent fasting (16:8).
    11. Keep your carbs to 5% or 20 grams net carbs. Focus on leafy greens like chards, kale, spinach, asparagus, Brussels sprouts, cauliflower, broccoli. Fruits are not your friend, especially while you are getting fat adapted (making the transition from carbs to fats).
    12. You can use 100% unsweetened baking chocolate or Cacao powder if making fat bombs to deal with cravings. It has some carbs, so make room for it.

It is reasonably likely OP is on around 1200 -- she in fact said she was. 15% is unlikely to be a good idea, certainly not a good idea for a one-size fits all list of rules telling her what she should do.
  • magnusthenerd
    magnusthenerd Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    Two to three months is only enough time to get to the good stuff. A fabulously successful and buff weight loser here does keto 9 months a year and eats all the wonderful things from October 1 to January 1.

You'll have to count carbs, net carbs especially. You may find yourself being satisfied with barely 1000 calories in a day. You'll have to eat a lot more salt. You may spend more of your nights sleeping. I know not every busy dude has time for that. You could find your libido more active.

Above and beyond what any kind of normal weight loss would cause?
    At first guess, I would think keto diets would be associated with infertility simply for the fact that male gametes are one of the few human cells that can directly use fructose for fuel, which is going to be in low supply on a keto diet.

Oh, dear, that could be abused -- I don't need to use protection, I'm on keto!

Perhaps like endurance runners, swimmers can become fat adapted too? It is a pretty long marathon, when considering the scale.

Though "I'm in ketosis" might be birth control for some people regardless.

Speaking as a person who's pretty strongly sapiosexual, and based on the moving average of what I see in threads around here . . . if someone said it, it might well reinforce my leaning toward abstinence.

P.S. This is a joke. Not all of you on keto, for heaven's sake.

I find sapiosexuality very wrong - it should be sophosexual. The other typical prefixes, homo and hetero are Greek, and with homo being a different word in Latin, it just gets confusing. The switch to Latin makes it sound like sapiosexuals only are interested in modern humans, but a homosexual would be attracted to neanderthals, cro magnons, and maybe even h. erectus.
  • Fatty_Nuff
    Fatty_Nuff Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Forgive me for going off topic, but sapiosexual? I've never heard this word. Is that having a thing for maple trees? :o